BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it's just my ears, but seriously I don't like the hk system in my 330i. The bass and mid range are okay, but treble is definitely lacking and the clarity (fidity) really sucks. It sounds kinda clouded and fuzzy. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
The bass is weak and distorts with volume, but that's expected since the "subs" are 6x9s and I don't think that even technically qualifies as a subwoofer since nothing less than an 8 inch or more than 15 is really subwoofer material.

The mids are decent. They get better if the DSP switch is turned on, but then that adds this tinge to the sound.. almost echo like to create a larger ambiance. It does sound good but only with certain materials.

The highs aren't bad, and I'd say they are okay. I think the car lacks the power to drive the speakers and the speakers themselves aren't top notch to begin with.

Overall, I like the system, but something cleaner and with better fidelity would be better. But not bad.

A lot of people claim a 40k car should have a better sound system. That's like telling a Lexus owner that their car should drive a little better. Can't have it all.... Someone did mention that this system was meant for classical music. Of all the music I've heard through the sound system, I'd have to agree.

The new BMW systems should sound a little better. I don't think I remember sitting in one but they use Logic 7 which is something Lexicon made methinks. Lexicon is a part of the Harmon Kardon Group and is considered very much audiophile. Then again, we are running Harmon Kardons so...

I should add. My current CD settings have bass a click below the mid and the treble two clicks from the top. My radio settings have bass maybe about half way up past mid and the treble near the top. However my tastes change all the time so I'm "tweaking" byt changing the bass and treble settings all the time for the radio atleast. My cd settings sound good to me. My DSP button is off.

·
Grinning from ear to ear
2,029 Posts
I agree. During ED, my first comments were, "it sounds like the speakers are at the end of a tunnel". They sounded distant, not full. The door tweeters added some nice effects to cymbals during certain rock songs which I thought was nice. It's definitely going to take lots of EQ tweaking to make it sound decent. Oddly enough, I'm currently in a non-HK equipped 3, and to what I can remember, this radio actually sounds better than the HK did.

·
ELmO
362 Posts
Mediocre my ass, it plain out stinks. I have a 330 CIC and it's going to cost me at least 2K to put in a subwoofer/amp and upgraded speakers (and possibly amp).

Piece of crap...argh BMW.

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
I haven't listened to the E90's new HK system, but from what I've read it should be a improvement over the E46 HK system.

·
Ich bin ein Bimmerer
1,241 Posts
Ah, this old chestnut again...

Mine sounds great, very balanced, and has decent bass fill. It ALL depends on YOUR perception and how YOU want to listen to music. Actually, in another thread on here, a professional audio engineer stated that the system is extremely accurate at reproducing recordings. Try turning your speed sensitive gain down to minimum. It helps a LOT with the distortion. The detailed instructions are available on here.

I'll have to remember to cut-and-past this next month...

·
tony
29 Posts
The sound is acceptable, but it is relative crap considering this is their high-end system. It should sound much better. With some material is ok, with other is bah.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Ha, ha, your words are much too kind. The radio in my car is awful. I was able to get it to a tolerable level with satellite. However, I don't mind much because I am not an audiophile.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Try driving Porsches at twice the price and you'll think your 3's HK system is the best friggin' system in the whole world. But then again I don't buy a car for it's sound system, I prefer the nice smooth tones of a flat or inline 6. :thumbup:

·
909 Posts
RSPDiver said:
Ah, this old chestnut again...

Mine sounds great, very balanced, and has decent bass fill. It ALL depends on YOUR perception and how YOU want to listen to music. Actually, in another thread on here, a professional audio engineer stated that the system is extremely accurate at reproducing recordings. Try turning your speed sensitive gain down to minimum. It helps a LOT with the distortion. The detailed instructions are available on here.

I'll have to remember to cut-and-past this next month...
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78115

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87589

·
Registered
10 Posts
the first thing i noticed as i drove away from the dealership was how awful the stereo was. i'm really disapointed in it. i love my music, and i have a good ear. the hiss and cracks are like having an annoying old man in the back seat - i want to throw him out of the car. worst part is that the noise is random - i never know when to expect it. then i get mad.

i have the most trouble with the two speakers in the front of the doors. arg. :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
852 Posts
NEWBIMMERGUY said:
the first thing i noticed as i drove away from the dealership was how awful the stereo was. i'm really disapointed in it. i love my music, and i have a good ear. the hiss and cracks are like having an annoying old man in the back seat - i want to throw him out of the car. worst part is that the noise is random - i never know when to expect it. then i get mad.

i have the most trouble with the two speakers in the front of the doors. arg. :thumbdwn:
Your Shift key isn't working.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Please see what i did for my 330xi in the Audio Section of this forum
The radio is an abomination for serious music reproduction. Despite the fact that i am an audiophile, even non music lovers hate the setup
IF you have the $$$, and it does cost, replacing is the best for "smiles per miles"

·
:-)
2,262 Posts
i'm surprised no one has chipped in yet saying how the HK is a great system.

i agree the system is junk, it sounds like i have earplugs on.

·
Jayhawk Fan
1,834 Posts
Matthew330Ci said:
i'm surprised no one has chipped in yet saying how the HK is a great system.

i agree the system is junk, it sounds like i have earplugs on.
Those people are out there, right? I'm waiting for the "it sounds like it is supposed to sound" line as if that'll make us feel better. There is also the "push the fader to the back speakers" one.

It all depends what you give a crap about. Some like it. Most hate it.

·
Former ZHP pilot
884 Posts
Miles said:
Try driving Porsches at twice the price and you'll think your 3's HK system is the best friggin' system in the whole world. But then again I don't buy a car for it's sound system, I prefer the nice smooth tones of a flat or inline 6. :thumbup:
I'm with you on this one brotha! :thumbup:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'd like to see a corelation between age and opinion of the stock HK stereo system.

FTR, I'm 42 and it does just fine for me (and its all about me!).

1 - 20 of 86 Posts