BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thursday after work I pulled into the local 76 station and got a full tank of gas. On the way home several people were honking at me, and I was wondering what their fokking problem was. So when I got home I finally realized I did NOT put the gas cap back on and just drove home.

Surprisingly, the check engine light NEVER came on. I remember in the old days the damn check engine light is so sensitive that every day I'd see 5-10 posts about the check engine light, like the 37 degree beep or the leather v leatherette posts. :dunno:

Oh well, saved me a trip to the local dealership to have that light rest. :)

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Hack,

This is very freaky. I just did that 2 days ago too. :eek: Although no one bothered to honk at me though.... :( Was a short distance home and realized it when I smell some gas. No spills though.

No light whatsoever too. Perhaps a design flaw?

The HACK said:
Thursday after work I pulled into the local 76 station and got a full tank of gas. On the way home several people were honking at me, and I was wondering what their fokking problem was. So when I got home I finally realized I did NOT put the gas cap back on and just drove home.

Surprisingly, the check engine light NEVER came on. I remember in the old days the damn check engine light is so sensitive that every day I'd see 5-10 posts about the check engine light, like the 37 degree beep or the leather v leatherette posts. :dunno:

Oh well, saved me a trip to the local dealership to have that light rest. :)

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Remember that on most issues the EML only comes on when the same problem happens on 2 consecutive Drive Cycles. If you put the cap back on before it reached this state, the light will NOT come on.

·
BFE 2003
95 Posts
hack, at least in the E36, the check engine light was not set off due to the actual gas cap being lose, but rather a loss of vapor pressure in the tank, which occurs when its not sealed (ie no/loose cap) A drive home may not have been enough time to cause a check engine. Also, if you did set it off, it would reset itself after a while, assuming you remedied the situation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.