BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have white smoke that comes from my tail pipes after it sits at idle for a little while(ex. like at a drive-thru or red light). There isn't any visible oil leaking from anywhere that either I nor two other mechanics know of. Could it be the oil separator valve, pcv valve, head gaskets, etc? Is it possibly just water? Usually I can give it a couple of revs and it'll go away. I also can hear a slight rattle/knocking sound. But I only have heard this once and that was today. Thanks for you help and please share your experiences.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have white smoke that comes from my tail pipes after it sits at idle for a little while(ex. like at a drive-thru or red light). There isn't any visible oil leaking from anywhere that either I nor two other mechanics know of. Could it be the oil separator valve, pcv valve, head gaskets, etc? Is it possibly just water? Usually I can give it a couple of revs and it'll go away. I also can hear a slight rattle/knocking sound. But I only have heard this once and that was today. Thanks for you help and please share your experiences.
Likely the "infamous" valve stem seal failure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had that issue changed my crank case vent on both banks and car is better
So should I just change the CCV valves? Is this what you're referring to? I have looked on rockauto.com and they sell the CCV valve in the quantity of one. I'm assuming I have to buy two for both sides of the engine? Thanks!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Any videos you know of that show how to do this myself? I can use rock auto to get the valve stems.
Check Youtube. You will need a special tool that locks the camshafts in place and then you will have to compress the springs, remove them and replace the seals. From what I understand it's not an easy job, that's why it's not cheap if you take it to a mechanic.

·
Registered
833 Posts
So should I just change the CCV valves? Is this what you're referring to? I have looked on rockauto.com and they sell the CCV valve in the quantity of one. I'm assuming I have to buy two for both sides of the engine? Thanks!
I doubt it's your CCV. A bad CCV causes random smoking. the smoking you describe is classic for failing valve stem seals.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes CCV one for each bank. Cheap easy change I would do before anything else. It made a big improvement in my smoking after prolong idealing in traffic. Good luck

·
Registered
68 Posts
Crazy, but exact same issue occurred to me. White smoke would come out of the tail pipe anytime I would turn on the car after it had been sitting for a prolonged time. For example, overnight or few days. When I took it to the dealer, they said an oil supply line in the turbo was leaking/broken. They fixed it. This was 1.5 years ago, and now it is happening again. Same issue. Typical crooks these dealerships. In doing some google searching, this is a common problem. Luckily last time I had an extended warranty but the cost was $1700!

Anyone know how much it costs to repair/replace these lines at an indep shop? Does it require replacing the entire turbo to actually fix it rather than put a band aid on it??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update.

I took it to the dealer I originally purchased the vehicle from just a month ago and they agreed to replace the crankcase ventilation system which they say I needed and was something that they were suppose to "get around to doing" before I purchased the vehicle. So hopefully this will fix the problem. I was also told by an independent shop owner I've taken it too for my suspension problems that I need 5w-40 oil not 5w-30 because 5w-30 is too thin.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I took it to the dealer I originally purchased the vehicle from just a month ago and they agreed to replace the crankcase ventilation system which they say I needed and was something that they were suppose to "get around to doing" before I purchased the vehicle. So hopefully this will fix the problem. I was also told by an independent shop owner I've taken it too for my suspension problems that I need 5w-40 oil not 5w-30 because 5w-30 is too thin.
5W-30 is what BMW specs, but as these trucks get older and the engines get high miles heavier oil helps. Changing from 5W-30 to 5W-40 certainly helped cut my oil consumption.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
5W-30 is what BMW specs, but as these trucks get older and the engines get high miles heavier oil helps. Changing from 5W-30 to 5W-40 certainly helped cut my oil consumption.
Yea that makes since. They also use the Penray additive as well to help with any smoking issues.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Crazy, but exact same issue occurred to me. White smoke would come out of the tail pipe anytime I would turn on the car after it had been sitting for a prolonged time. For example, overnight or few days. When I took it to the dealer, they said an oil supply line in the turbo was leaking/broken. They fixed it. This was 1.5 years ago, and now it is happening again. Same issue. Typical crooks these dealerships. In doing some google searching, this is a common problem. Luckily last time I had an extended warranty but the cost was $1700!

Anyone know how much it costs to repair/replace these lines at an indep shop? Does it require replacing the entire turbo to actually fix it rather than put a band aid on it??
As an update to this situation, the mechanic felt it was a leaking turbo. The other thought was the valve stem seals, but they said to try the turbo first. Luckily that did the trick, and after $2500, it has stopped.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts