• Z3

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im trying to keep this to fairly recent productions

Let's assume the company goes to hell after Bangle....What could we look back on and say: "boy, thats the last, great car BMW made before the company took a turn for the worse."

G

·
E38 was it. The E39 is borderline and, maybe, the '96-'00s could be considered "great" (although they look way too mainstream and feminine) but, really, the E38 was it. The "angel eyes" nonsense along with the DBW throttle for '01 rules out any '01+ E39s, IMO.

Give me a 740i Sport w/6-spd manual conversion when the time comes for me to get an absurdly large car.

·
superwagon pilot
1,388 Posts
I voted e46 as well. It's a great car compared to the competition it faced when it was introduced (it's in its fifth model year and still tops in its class) good looking, and does most everything asked of it well. Hopefully, it won't be the LAST great BMW, if they can figure out a way to kill of Bangle, all would be good again. The E65 is an amazing drivers car for its size, and the z4 is supposed to be a big improvement over the z3 in the handling department.

·
non sequitur
888 Posts
E46 by sheer popularity and its near perfect all around ability. I never drove an E36, but when I saw one way back when, I wasn't too fond of the interior.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
///Mathew said:

I was wondering if anyone was gonna say that. :lmao:

I said car, though
The X5 is used as a car by 99.9% of buyers, it almost qualifies

Anything THIS tall automatically eliminates it. :D It is about one and a half feet taller than the E46 :eek:

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Shouldn't the question read "First great BMW" and have the E65/6 as the only selectable option? It should be quite obvious that the glory days of BMW styling are only just beginning.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A. van Hooydonk said:
Shouldn't the question read "First great BMW" and have the E65/6 as the only selectable option? It should be quite obvious that the glory days of BMW styling are only just beginning.
No, the question should read exactly what i want it to say.

·
Registered
110 Posts
imho, the e28 m5 (without self leveling suspension) was the last great BMW made. It was very similar to the e34 m5 (okay, not e34 m5 w/nurburgring suspension and brakes -345mm) but it weighs in a few hundred less. (the most expensive mod is "adding lightness" to improve handling/track times).

the 1988 e28 m5 was handbuilt (as was the e34, but not the e39), and had the awesome s38 motor with it's "mechanical orchestra" of heim links to control it's IRTB's. It's a very visceral car, what a driver's sports sedan is supposed to be (not to say newer bmw's aren't).

Will

·
Registered
546 Posts
e34. It still turns my head every time I see one. What a beautiful car. I think the e34 is the pinnacle of BMW's model history. Either that or the e24.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Why E30 (especially M3) is not on the list ? :confused:

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
Why E30 (especially M3) is not on the list ? :confused:
Probably because of what he said in the original post: "Im trying to keep this to fairly recent productions."

In no particular order:

E30 M3
E28 M5
2002tii

1 - 20 of 37 Posts