Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
For half a year, the limit of kilometers of rear brakes has not been reduced, let me know that despite whether the rear collects or not, this limit should decrease. The cladding itself practically does not wear out at all. The pads do not dust at all, come like after washing the car, the shields will come in light rust, after a few braking the rust goes down, so some percent collect, but the thickness of pads (3-4mm) has stood still in summer. I do 15k a year, I have a second F10 and there the braking is noticeably better.

Anyone have an idea how to help? I have an enet cable, what can I do?

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
The service miles is condition based. The front brakes take about 80% of the braking, so the rears really dont wear down very fast.

I dont follow the service suggestions on idrive. If you feel braking has been reduced compared to your other F10, then do a brake job. But understand, that you might not need to do one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The service miles is condition based. The front brakes take about 80% of the braking, so the rears really dont wear down very fast.

I dont follow the service suggestions on idrive. If you feel braking has been reduced compared to your other F10, then do a brake job. But understand, that you might not need to do one.

the rear brakes look like they work max 5%, which is why it seemed a little strange to me. I have an enet cable, what program can I check if there is any error?

·
Ziggy.
424 Posts
there is no error. on some BMW's most noticeably the f10s/f15s BMW updated the brake wear algorithm its now based purely off the wear sensor and will sit at 3200 miles until the sensor is worn through then it will trigger the yellow brake light and eventually the red brake light. no worries its acting normal

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there is no error. on some BMW's most noticeably the f10s/f15s BMW updated the brake wear algorithm its now based purely off the wear sensor and will sit at 3200 miles until the sensor is worn through then it will trigger the yellow brake light and eventually the red brake light. no worries its acting normal
Well, do not change carpets?

·
Registered
298 Posts

I understand the mileage is an estimate, not based on actual pad thickness or sensor. However will the sensor actually trip once it wears down to tell you now it's actually due? Highway driving really throws the idrive system off. Mine has said replace brakes in 5k for the last 50k miles.

·
Munich Mark - 2014 535XD
826 Posts
Obviously after the last Rear Brake Change nobody reset the miles so consider this as normal so it stayed where it was waiting for the wear sensor to trigger. Mine resets to 40,000 miles and stayed there a long time before slowly decreasing after rear pads changed. First rear pads lasted over 50,000 miles on my Car, same as front.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I understand the mileage is an estimate, not based on actual pad thickness or sensor. However will the sensor actually trip once it wears down to tell you now it's actually due? Highway driving really throws the idrive system off. Mine has said replace brakes in 5k for the last 50k miles.
Obviously after the last Rear Brake Change nobody reset the miles so consider this as normal so it stayed where it was waiting for the wear sensor to trigger. Mine resets to 40,000 miles and stayed there a long time before slowly decreasing after rear pads changed. First rear pads lasted over 50,000 miles on my Car, same as front.
Mine's showed 3100 miles for over 7K miles...

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Mine has been showing 3,200 for 12,000 miles now. Just had them checked when got new tires last week, and was told the brakes were still good for quite a few miles.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Got a grinding noise from the rear today while braking. My rear driver side is worn out entirely, even though idrive says 6k miles to go. Passenger side has a little pad left but not much. I'm not worried about the rotor, it will be getting replaced anyway. I'm going to reserve this car for local driving only. My main concern is damaging the brake system, like caliper and hardware. I doubt some light driving even on the backing plate would do much harm, but is there any thing I should be aware of? Again pads and rotors will be replaced

·
Munich Mark - 2014 535XD
826 Posts
This should not happen if all done right, up to you to drive it as is, I would not...

Who did the last Brake change ? Don’t go there again, seems they forgot to install wear indicators or hooked them up wrong plus probably no reset.

Also, fyi... the Rear Brakes wear out much faster on RWD than Xdrive as rear braking is used for traction control as well as DSP.

·
Registered
298 Posts
This should not happen if all done right, up to you to drive it as is, I would not...

Who did the last Brake change ? Don't go there again, seems they forgot to install wear indicators or hooked them up wrong plus probably no reset.

Also, fyi... the Rear Brakes wear out much faster on RWD than Xdrive as rear braking is used for traction control as well as DSP.
The dealer did the last brake service. I don't know when but I picked up the car while it was still under warranty. Mine is xdrive
But I'm wondering about the wear indicators as well. Will they activate once the pad is worn down to tell me it's time to change? Looks like that didn't happen here. idrive mileage is an estimate and frankly I don't trust it. It says my front pads are due in 600 miles but there's still plenty of pad left

1 - 12 of 12 Posts