BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: Added links to each assertion, as per G-Moussa (and so that there is a place elsewhere to discuss alternative brands).

This post below from another thread today got me thinking whether we had a single-source reference that answers the question of WHO is the original equipment supplier (OE) of the various parts that need to be replaced in an E39.
LUK is the OEM flywheel
Offhand, I know of a few - shown below in the order they came to me (we can organize later); I'm sure others can help flesh this out until it becomes a good look up table:
Note: For this thread, OEM means "THE" original manufacturer, not parts manufactured to the original equipment specifications (OES).

WIP: Work in progress: Please provide information!

See also:
- What parts should always be bought OEM (1)

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
I thought Bosch made the MAF? Also I have purchased Lemforder front control arms... Don't think they are original BMW equipment manufacturer, but one would think since the thread you provided is saying they make the rears

·
25,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought Bosch made the MAF?
Good catch!
I will remove the line for the MAF until we know the answer for sure.

I will update the first post until we get it right or until it locks up on me.
That way, if folks want to discuss the OEM supplier or alternative aftermarket suppliers they have a link to a thread for every part (this thread will ONLY be for OEM suppliers).

Each update to the list will now have a link to the thread which supports the supposition of the OEM supplier for that part.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Good catch!
I will remove the line for the MAF until we know the answer for sure.

I will update the first post until we get it right or until it locks up on me.
That way, if folks want to discuss the OEM supplier or alternative aftermarket suppliers they have a link to a thread for every part (this thread will ONLY be for OEM suppliers).

Each update to the list will now have a link to the thread which supports the supposition of the OEM supplier for that part.
Sounds good... don't quote me on it 100% but we can keep updating this hopefully and it will be a valuable tool.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You can add front and rear stabilizer/sway bar links under Lemförder.

As well as fan clutch under Sachs.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Bosch: Oxygen sensors (13477 & 15109), some spark plugs, some fuel pumps, some starters, some wiper blades

Siemens VDO: MAF, injectors, brake pads sensors, throttle body, AC condensor fan assembly, trunk release solenoid (actuator), door lock solenoids (actuator), power window motor & regulator assembly, brake master cylinder

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
EDIT: Added links to each assertion, as per G-Moussa (and so that there is a place elsewhere to discuss alternative brands).

[*]Topran

[/I]
Bluebee Topran parts are total crap shoot. Topran doesn't manufacture it's parts it just packs parts that it buys. This means you can get a good part or total crap. Usually it's not that good. A local car parts store sells topran parts really cheap and I've mostly heard negative thing about them.. If you are lucky you can get a good part inside topran box. Example when you buy a wheel bearing you might get SKF. I never buy topran online, because I always want to check what is inside the box.

·
25,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This PDF says the MAF is Siemens
- M52_technical_information.pdf (977.8 KB, 663 views)
The Siemens mass air flow sensor is functionally the same as in the past. The designation 2 Type B simply indicates that it is smaller in design. The mass air meter has a diameter of 85 mm.

·
25,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This post says the original waterpump is INA:
The original pump is made by INA. Replaced mine after 160K kms with worn bearing. Not leaking but bearing noisy. Now at 195K kms and no problems. I expect it to go another 160K kms.

RonR
99 528iT M52TU

·
Registered
4,703 Posts

·
25,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just looked at my old DISA and there is a BMW logo and the other is two connected WWs with an arrow through it. It's always referred to as Genuine BMW.
Thanks Fudman.
I'm googling away and still can't find who the manufacturer is.
The best I can find is this blurb on the page for DISA valves at FCP:
FCP said:
About Genuine BMW

The original parts used by BMW to build your car are available as replacement parts under the ***8220;Genuine BMW***8221; brand. Manufactured under the direction of BMW, expect excellent quality and a premium price since these parts are exclusively available through the BMW Dealership network. You may not realize this, but the parts that make up your BMW are not necessarily manufactured by BMW. No cause for concern, as BMW designs the part, hires a manufacturer and ensures its quality to you, including a 1 year warranty. In fact, many of these manufacturers have been making parts for BMW for decades and are experts in their own right. In our industry these manufacturers are called OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers) or OES (Original Equipment Suppliers), and are often brands you recognize including Hella, Bosch, Bilstein and Lemforder. Don***8217;t be surprised to open that Genuine BMW parts box and find a Bosch branded part inside. If you are looking to buy Genuine BMW Parts online then you***8217;ve come to the right place. FCP Euro offers both types of product ***8211; Genuine BMW and OEM/OES - from brands we trust to use on our own cars. If you have any questions on what options are available to you, just give us a call, we are happy to help.

·
25,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From this thread:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > What are the dimensions & material of the power steering fluid reservoir cap o-ring?
The original supplier for the power steering reservoir cap M2x42 o-ring is apparently ZF lenksysteme.

Note: The replacement O-ring is sold by a few vendors, (e.g., most who seem to get them from a company called "ZF", so we can call ZF to ask what they're made up of).
- ZF Lenksysteme GmbH, the joint venture between Robert Bosch GmbH and ZF Friedrichshafen AG, [email protected]
I googled for the part number ,and all the sources said they bought their o-rings from ZF.

Attachments

·
25,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
284 Posts
Windscreen wipers, arms, blades etc are made by SWF which is part of the Valeo group. The original wipers are not made by Bosch.
SWF also make some plastic light parts. My touring has SWF tail light lenses.

RonR

·
25,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oil Level Sensor: Hella (Hella p/n: BPR 007 868 02) - for i6 M54
Pleiades concurs with Hella for the oil level sensor!
I had received the "check oil level" message a couple of times despite the fact the level was good, so I decided to replace this sensor before it left me sitting on the side of the road.

I'm posting the ebay source of my new Hella sensor in case anyone else needs one of these for relatively cheap. The seller is speedlineconcept, who seems to have very good feedback and a supply of new BMW parts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Engine-Oil-Level-Sensor-Sender-Unit-Seal-OEM-Hella-508003-868031-/281169959169?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ABMW&hash=item4177091901

Amazon sells them as well, for a little bit more, but still less than other sites.

http://www.amazon.com/12617508003-6...5-2001-2003/dp/B00AXLAM4A/ref=pd_rhf_gw_s_t_6

Attachments

1 - 20 of 57 Posts