Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't help but keep browsing for e46 for sale and visited carfax.com/carguru.com sites looking at the M3s. Right now my winter driver is a Hyundai and my nice weather car is my BMW. The H is on jack stands right now due to leaky water pump. I would let the H go if I could get my bimmer to work in the winter (mayo problem). Now that I got my PCV solution to work great (see other thread), I think I might give the H away to someone in need and make my 325ci a bad weather fighter (and my son's first car in the future). That makes room for a, eh, power car of some sort. I prefer the e46 M3 since it's a similar engine, but I've been ogling over the e90 (?) V-8. Furthermore, you could pick up an e90 M3 for a bit more over the e46 M3. Then I saw some 335 that has twin turbos. Decision decision.

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
Those naturally aspirated M's are a beauty to drive. There is instant throttle response. But, those engines are also fragile and high-maintenance. The E46 needs a valve adjustment about every 25k miles. Both engines have a reputation of eating connecting rod bearings, making them a scheduled maintenance item before they fail. If not, engine go KFB (ka-****ing-boom).

The 335's have a single twin-scroll turbo, with a low-speed optimized and a high-speed optimized compressor scroll. Those cars also aren't built for track duty. They're prone to overheating. BMW sells a cooling augmentation kit for them, though.

All those cars (M's and 335i) don't have spare tires.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read about the V8 eating the rod bearing but I did not know the e46 also had the same problem. rod bearing is beyond my dyi capability but valve adjustment might be.

If I let the shop do it, how much do they cost for those procedures? How difficult is the valve adjustment dyi?

The appeals of the e90 M3 are 2 extra cylinders and 2 extra doors.

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
The E46 M3's valve adjustment requires having a shim tray (selection of shims). There might be a special tool, also. It doesn't look like rocket science, though.

The connecting rod bearing thing is horrible. It's done from below the car with the sub-frame and oil pan removed. The early E46 M3's had the connecting rod bearings and oil pump replaced under a recall. My car had it done twice under recall. The work is so physically demanding that my dealer only made their go-to engine guy do one per week. A lot of M owners have oil analysis done. With that, you can usually see bearing failure coming in time to change them out before KFB.

Attachments

·
Keeping it surreal
43,081 Posts
Yeah, there`s lots of fun to be had, but no free lunch ! Last weekend I drove my friend`s Z4 Coupe with the S54 engine....man, that is a FUN car ! He has several nice cars, but also has the dough to support them all properly. What you need to realize is that the S54 is basically a race engine which was detuned slightly to make it stay alive long enough to make it through the warranty period. Even THAT proved to be a stretch, though. Virtually ANY engine with a specific output greater than 100 HP per liter is gonna be right on the ragged edge of "grenade" status....as the wise old Roman once advised, "Caveat Emptor"....

·
I'm a DlCK! So what?
3,609 Posts
The 335's have a single twin-scroll turbo, with a low-speed optimized and a high-speed optimized compressor scroll. Those cars also aren't built for track duty. They're prone to overheating. BMW sells a cooling augmentation kit for them, though.
The N54 335i's had twin turbos. The N55 had the twin-scroll turbo.

I've been looking at one again simply because I think I want something more comfortable, but just as fast. However, a 335i won't handle nearly as well as what my car does with the way it's set up, so there is that...

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want something high performance but the least maintenance possible, something that can be driven daily comfortably. That's why I'm hesitant on the M's. I don't want something driven once parked awhile due to issues. Plus I don't track or race so highest performance is not really a must. I've also looked at the Z4, Miata and Boxster.

·
I'm a DlCK! So what?
3,609 Posts
I want something high performance but the least maintenance possible, something that can be driven daily comfortably. That's why I'm hesitant on the M's. I don't want something driven once parked awhile due to issues. Plus I don't track or race so highest performance is not really a must. I've also looked at the Z4, Miata and Boxster.
Get yourself a C6 Corvette. Insurance will probably be cheaper on the 'Vette than it would on the M, too.

·
TheMalibuMafia
12,881 Posts
You know what else the N54/N55 wont do as well as your E46 will?
Be reliable and not break every other weekend.
N54 and N55 are absolute garbage.

The N54 335i's had twin turbos. The N55 had the twin-scroll turbo.

I've been looking at one again simply because I think I want something more comfortable, but just as fast. However, a 335i won't handle nearly as well as what my car does with the way it's set up, so there is that...

·
Keeping it surreal
43,081 Posts
So many choices, eh ? :p
The Z4 will bring the same headaches as every other E46....the Miata would probably be the best choice based on reliability, and the fact that you can drive it closer to ten-tenths than any of the others, without going to jail or the grave.
The Boxster S is a truly inspiring ride, but you probably wouldn`t like to work on it.
If you could handle driving `Murrican, that suggestion of a C6 `Vette might not be a bad one. Mechanically, the drivetrain, brakes, suspension, etc., are very well-sorted on those cars, it`s mostly a matter of whether you like the body & interior styling. The LS motors, even stock, are fcukin` brutes, and can be cheaply and easily modded for greater output.
Happy Hunting ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know about the Vette. It's styling (the older gen) is too bulkily muscular, if there is such a term. I rather do a 'Stang than a 'Vette. Something about seeing a Mustang up your bumper in your rear view mirror that makes you want to change lane and let it pass. That happened to me this morning in the way to work. Must be bad memories with the police.

I want something fast but sophisticate, powerful but normal looking. I just don't want the Ferrari/Lambo pretentiousness. And I want something that I can work on. The Boxster might be not easy to work with.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You know what else the N54/N55 wont do as well as your E46 will?
Be reliable and not break every other weekend.
N54 and N55 are absolute garbage.
Besides the HPFP issue, I'm not aware of any other issues with this generation. Why are they garbage? I would think they are a sweet substitute for a M.

·
TheMalibuMafia
12,881 Posts
The turbos are made by mitsubishi and have waste gate issues and blow up all the time.
Boost leaks all the time.
Oil pressure issues all the time.
fuel pressure issues all the time.
fuel injector issues all the time. ( even so bad that some leak and hydrolock motors ) It's actually happened to me before.
The way the CCV was designed is absolutely retarded. And built INTO the valve cover. And those crack ALL the time.

List goes on.

Besides the HPFP issue, I'm not aware of any other issues with this generation. Why are they garbage? I would think they are a sweet substitute for a M.

·
I'm a DlCK! So what?
3,609 Posts
I don't know about the Vette. It's styling (the older gen) is too bulkily muscular, if there is such a term. I rather do a 'Stang than a 'Vette. Something about seeing a Mustang up your bumper in your rear view mirror that makes you want to change lane and let it pass. That happened to me this morning in the way to work. Must be bad memories with the police.

I want something fast but sophisticate, powerful but normal looking. I just don't want the Ferrari/Lambo pretentiousness. And I want something that I can work on. The Boxster might be not easy to work with.
Something about seeing a Mustang up my bumper in my rear-view mirror makes me want to say, "What a douche" and not let him pass. (The same applies for virtually everyone who rides inches from my bumper.)

The turbos are made by mitsubishi and have waste gate issues and blow up all the time.
fuel injector issues all the time. ( even so bad that some leak and hydrolock motors ) It's actually happened to me before.
The way the CCV was designed is absolutely retarded. And built INTO the valve cover. And those crack ALL the time.

List goes on.
Let's not forget about how the serpentine belts can literally get sucked into the engine if not properly monitored.

Here's to hoping the B58 engines will be better.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

List goes on.
Are you serious? Chalk me up as a skeptic ... at first, until I saw you own a 335i. All the time??? If you have that many issues, why keeping it? You must love that car to still own it if it breaks down on you all the time. From my impression of you, you must be beating it up all the time :)

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Something about seeing a Mustang up my bumper in my rear-view mirror makes me want to say, "What a douche" and not let him pass. (The same applies for virtually everyone who rides inches from my bumper.)
I own a 325Ci, the one that got smoked by a Civic many years ago as told by the wife who tried to race it. Who am I kidding?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Are you serious? Chalk me up as a skeptic ... at first, until I saw you own a 335i. All the time??? If you have that many issues, why keeping it? You must love that car to still own it if it breaks down on you all the time. From my impression of you, you must be beating it up all the time :)
Go through some of his threads, he has poured quite the time and money into it.
I'm guessing at this point he's too in love with it to get rid of it.

·
TheMalibuMafia
12,881 Posts
I didn't I sold it after the 3rd engine blew up.

I don't have it anymore actually. I sold it about 2 years ago.
Although I do have many other cars. I will never buy an N54/N55 again unless I'm selling it for a profit.

Go through some of his threads, he has poured quite the time and money into it.
I'm guessing at this point he's too in love with it to get rid of it.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
6 series grand coupe? Prices dropping hard on those it seems. The N63 V8 in the 650i has issues too, but all is documented so you know what you're getting into.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts