BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subtitle: The Paint, The Drive, The Deal. The short version is that my E90 order is to be placed tomorrow, but it will be for a MY07 not a MY08, and it will be painted Monaco Blue. It will be for $500 over 2007 invoice, or it won't happen. The only unanswered question is how to get black trim around the side windows.

The long version is that I visited the dealer today, with the intention of looking at paint colors again (especially a Deep Green E90 on the lot, in the sun) and of sitting in an E90 again, front and rear, just to refresh my memory of the interior...

The Paint

I saw the Deep Green E90, alright, and it was simply beautiful. As others who know and like the color have said, it must be seen in person on a real car in the round to be appreciated. But social factors ('green like money') and fear of poor resale potential conspired to dissuade me from choosing Deep Green for my sole and daily driver in the U.S.

Sparkling Graphite made a good showing, but never equaled the excellent sightings I've had of E90s in motion. But social factors (a bit too "metro" for my mainly rural destination) and a lack of gut reaction bumped Sparkling Graphite from the top spot in my short list.

I saw Monaco Blue on several different cars, and in shadow and sunlight. On one car, at a certain angle, I positively identified it as the paint color I had seen and so admired on a new 7 Series I recently sighted at speed, gliding away from me. There was a grayish-blue sheen at that angle, and it was the very element that got my attention on the 7. In other light conditions, Monaco Blue exhibited all the usual traits that endear it to its admirers. As the dealer pointed out to me, it was the color I fell for the first time (without having seen it before), so it was not surprising that I liked it best now. So, since I can't have Space Gray (which may actually be too "metro" for my use case anyway), I feel really and truly good about having Monaco Blue with the Light Beige interior. (And no, I didn't see any of the "happy" bright blue undertone I noted on my previous outing. Different lighting, but go figure!)

The Drive

Though I'd asked the dealer just to sit in an E90, they offered another test drive. Who was I to refuse? I took out a 335i automatic with iDrive and PDC. Despite the absence of manual transmission, which my car will have, I was able to attend to the experience in the cabin, the handling, the brakes (yes, they grab) and the general feel of the engine. And the PDC is great! The sound was much more subtle than I thought it would be and, as many here have said, it is undeniably useful. Not so great was the awesome presence of the iDrive display; but this was what I expected. No love lost. Something for everyone!

What a lovely automobile. I liked the standard steering wheel. I liked the civilized urge of the engine. I liked the total composure when (at the dealer's prompting) I took a very tight U-turn without using the brakes. After the drive, I liked the visual detail and feeling of calm in the rear seats. I liked the fact that a month after my first test drives, I had the same impression that this car would be perfect for my use case.

The Deal

The dealer mentioned that there were MY08 allocations, but immediately started to imply that they might not be able to honor their original quote of $500 over 2007 invoice for a MY08 E90. Since I've always held some skepticism, and since a few of you called b.s., and since it ain't over till it's over, I was disappointed but not surprised.

The GM confirmed that they would not do the original quote. But everything else was fine; the dealer had been treating me well (certainly nothing like the bullying and rudeness I read about here), they always had time for me, and the original quote would still be attractive if only one term was changed: The order would have to be for a MY07, not a MY08 E90. They had three MY07 allocations left. So that's what I decided to do.

Given all I've read here and elsewhere, $500 over 2007 invoice for a MY07 335xi with options sounds to me like a damn good deal. I think it's better for me not to be too principled ('How dare they change the story just before deal time?') and to spare myself the headache of shopping strictly on price, battling the start of new model year with guaranteed price increases, and dealing with jerks. With respect to resale, I'll be behind the model year curve, but ahead of the mileage curve relative to model year. And the build date will be essentially that of a MY08 car. Lastly, there are at this time no meaningful changes in the E90 specs from MY07 to MY08.

So my E90 will be a 2007 335xi Sedan with manual transmission, Light Beige Leatherette, Poplar Natural Wood, Monaco Blue Metallic, Cold Weather Package, and Park Distance Control.

The one item the dealer wasn't sure about was guaranteeing black trim around the side windows. This is something I must have! They discovered that it was called Shadowline trim, but didn't know how to specify it.

I just found phillipek's post in this thread:

"Chrome is the only choice on a 335 now, sport or not. Shadowline may be available overseas."

Oy. How doomed am I?

Thanks,

Snaxster

·
Bimmerless
BMW G05 45e/Porsche Macan GTS/Ram 1500 Diesel
1,104 Posts
I think you're getting an excellent deal at $500 over invoice. I realize this isn't the e92, but even on the e90, it's still a really good price.

I've read about some people ordering the shadowline trim, but I don't know if you can do it on the e90. If you are just looking for something other than chrome, couldn't you swap trim with someone who has an e90 328? Those come with the black trim, and I'm sure you could find an owner who wants to swap.

Excellent thread title, btw. I still laugh every time I hear that line.....shake and bake my friend....

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shake... and bake. Shake and bake! ;) Glad you liked the post title, rawskyb. But if you don't chew Big Red -- well, never mind.

Thanks for the suggestion to swap chrome trim for black. Ideally, it will be installed at the factory, but if I get desperate I will settle for swapping in a gently used OEM part.

Also, it's good to hear that you think the quote is good. I'll believe it when I see it, but whether it's real or not, today's the day!

Best,

Snaxster

·
Registered
203 Posts
Any update on the negotiations?

Im a day or so from receiving my 07MY 335xi. If it's not too late and you want your best shot at the extra oil cooler order package upgrade 2AB (18" summer tire). You might also receive the higher MPH limiter.

BTW...I negotiated $800 over invoice a few months back at my preferred dealer with $500+ on the table at 2 other dealers located much further away.

Hope you get your 335xi!

·
ANDY is always with me
1,888 Posts
Hi Snaxster. I have the same color combination, down to the light poplar trim. I really love it and have had no second thoughts. Perhaps you should think about the premium package, however. The buttons under the rearview mirror replace up to three remote "clickers" that you'd have to leave in the car or on the sun visor. That is a real plus for me. Also, there is a significant comfort difference in the summertime between leather and leatherette. I drove a loaner with leatherette, and the leatherette made my back sweat. I haven't had that problem with the leather in our car. Anyway, try to sleep well tonight, and enjoy the process of ordering your car tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi. The order went in a few days ago! Thanks for the suggestion, but no Sport Package for me. If the oil cooler becomes an issue, I'll deal with it. At the advice of others here, I decided that the sport seats would be inappropriate; and I've known all along that I wanted smaller rims. It's really only the Shadowline trim that I miss, and I have a way to get it after delivery.

Thanks for your good wishes!

Snaxster

·
ANDY is always with me
1,888 Posts
Snaxster--I suggested the Premium package, not the sport package. Think about it.
Larry

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, Larry. I can see you have excellent taste in color. :) I appreciate your recommendation of the Premium Package. Despite its obvious benefits, I decided early on that it simply wasn't for me. If all goes well I will someday soon, like you with the colors, be able to say about it that I "have had no second thoughts."

My order went in a few days ago and I'm looking forward to the best. Thanks for your good wishes!

Snaxster

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi again, Larry. I got that you meant the Premium Package, thanks. You'll see my reply. But I'll consider it this evening anyway.

Thanks!

Snaxster

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone wondering about swapping in black trim ("High Gloss Shadow Line") on an E90 with chrome trim, may be interested to note: The dealership quoted me $1000 out the door. A local reputable independent shop quoted me $515 out the door.

Both quotes were for warrantied installation of special ordered BMW parts. Guess which one will get my business. :) Since I can afford new parts and professional installation, that's what I will buy. But I'd still prefer not to be fleeced!

Snaxster

1 - 12 of 12 Posts