Registered
1,276 Posts
Who cares about a spare tire.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who cares about a spare tire.
Um....many people? If I am driving 700 miles and back, I want a spare.

If I am driving 17 miles to and back from work, perhaps not.

Mike

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
I had a flat on a road trip with my E46 M3 on a Saturday night. Because I had a spare, I was back on the road in 20 minutes, getting where I wanted to go, and went to the BMW dealer to get the flat repaired Monday morning.
... no slime to clean up, no waiting hours for BMW Roadside assistance to come and pull the bumper off my car, no getting hotel for two nights and getting where I need to be two days late, no rental car, etc.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup!

·
Registered
971 Posts
+1 on not going without the spare!

I was cutting it close for a flight from Boston to DC to meet with federal regulators. I was driving my 2006 330i ZSP, and I got the puncture on the Mass Pike about 10 miles from the airport in a section of the MA Pike with no breakdown lane. I knew it was a rear, and at first I cursed myself for going non RFT and having the spare. However, I slowed down and kept driving. The non-RFT 255/35 ZSP got me to central parking at Logan and I just made my flight. That evening, when I got back to Logan I saw the tire sidewall had completely separated on the outside, but it there was no wheel damage. I put my mini-spare on and drove 50 miles home with no delay.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Glad its not complete!

I just cant wait for my 2017 M2!!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have not carried a spare in 15 years.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's fine as long as you don't have a flat tire more than 50 miles from your destination.

You probably didn't need to wear your safety belts in the last 15 years.
LMAO!

Yes, a flat is a rare event these days, but that seatbelt comment made my YEAR! BURN!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Plug kit and a pump and good to go.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Plug kit and a pump and good to go.
But, if you hit something on the road and tear a chunk of side wall out, you are out of luck! :rofl:

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
Did you purchase winter rims and tires?? If so where?
If you're in the U.S. TireRack.com has winter tire and wheel packages. If the size of the brakes allow it, they usually offer a smaller diameter wheel to go with the winter tires, while still maintaining the tire outside diameter and width.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you're in the U.S. TireRack.com has winter tire and wheel packages. If the size of the brakes allow it, they usually offer a smaller diameter wheel to go with the winter tires, while still maintaining the tire outside diameter and width.
I was on the phone with Tire Rack for that very reason....they don't have anything currently available for the M2 in a winter tire. Or I would have bought four with winter tires. They expect the new round of available winter tires in September.

The tire I did buy is a lower end all season tire, but the wheels are a good fit for the car, very similar to the stock rims and the hub size is the same so you can swap out the hub for a bmw hub for a better look. That wheel will be my year round spare. I am getting snows in the fall. Probably get Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3. I have been using them for 14 years on my RS.

As I said before, in my RS6 which has an inflatable spare, I throw a winter tire in the trunk in the summer, and a summer tire in the trunk in the winter as a spare. I don't want to screw around on the side of the road with an inflatable spare!

Mike

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Those do-it-yourself plug kit usually work, but not always. Those DIY plugs can also fail over time. Once a DIY plug fails. the tire will have to be replaced.

Here's a proper "high speed" plug-patch, that requires taking the tire off the rim.
You just redo it. The tire does not need to be replaced. I use to demo tires with 100 plugs in each tire on various cars. As long as you use the self vulcanizing plugs you will be fine. I will say it's a bitch to balance a tire with 100 plugs in it!

Slime also works great and doesn't hurt a thing. I have also plugged many many run flats.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Exactly what wheel can be used for an M2 spare that will clear the front and rear brakes? Does BMW make a wheel and tire setup that is proven to work?

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
Exactly what wheel can be used for an M2 spare that will clear the front and rear brakes? Does BMW make a wheel and tire setup that is proven to work?
Bimmerzone.com doesn't show one. Some overseas markets require that new cars come with a spare. One solution is a full size front tire/wheel, with a spacer and a set of longer lug bolts so it will fit on the rear. Most flats are on the rear.

TireRack.com should eventually come out with a square (front and back same size) snow tire/wheel set-up. They had one for the E46 M3 and I used the wheel, spacer, and longer lug bolts for my spare.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts