BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2004X3 had those door gaskets replaced once again and that is the fourth time in one year. I wasn't paranoic; they were just so noisy in just about one month after replecement that I could not bear it anymore.

Well, here I am again in the same situation. One month passed and they are again popping and squaking like nothing happened.

But this time the dealer said BMW knows the TSB they issued last time did not do good and they have another fix coming soon. Perhaps that is good news. Did anybody hear the same thing from their respective dealerships?

I hope they will do something about this annoyance. In the mean time I got the Carbaflo thing but have not applied it yet as BMW was recommending against...:tsk:

·
Registered
194 Posts
at this point we don't care what BMW recommends :mad: the doors squawk I spray, usually every 6 weeks

ab

·
California boy in Canada
638 Posts
Changing the door seals will never solve the problem, because the material that BMW spec'd for the seals will still make noise with the replacement seals.

My X3 is dead silent. I wipe the door seals a couple of times a year with Meguires NXT Tech Protect on a rag and it instantly stops the squeeking and it generally won't start coming back for at least six months. It seems to have a cumulative effect as well, since each time I apply it it seems to take a month or two longer before the squeeking shows faint signs of coming back.

·
Registered
283 Posts
petren said:
My 2004X3 had those door gaskets replaced once again and that is the fourth time in one year. I wasn't paranoic; they were just so noisy in just about one month after replecement that I could not bear it anymore.

Well, here I am again in the same situation. One month passed and they are again popping and squaking like nothing happened.

But this time the dealer said BMW knows the TSB they issued last time did not do good and they have another fix coming soon. Perhaps that is good news. Did anybody hear the same thing from their respective dealerships?

I hope they will do something about this annoyance. In the mean time I got the Carbaflo thing but have not applied it yet as BMW was recommending against...:tsk:
That's why I love this site...I have been having this problem and just thought it was me...

Now i'll be taking mine back for some service...the doors creak unbearably...

·
Leftover Hippie
465 Posts
Taking it back for service? Incredible. Lots of door seals from lots of different car manufacturers make noise - grab a rag with your favorite flavor of rubber treatment (silicone, etc) and wipe it down whenever it annoys you. Takes an almighty 3-4 minutes max and lasts for months.

Unless you live next door to your dealer that's significantly less time and costs pennies to solve the problem.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Lots of cars make loud creaking noise like the X3!

That's funny. That's the same answer my service advisor kept trying to give. As if that somehow is either a) true, or b) acceptable. I've never had this kind of sound coming from my door seals on any of my previous cars - US, Japanese, or German. The door creaking I am hearing at its height is outrageous. It may be that you don't have it, hear less, play the sound louder, or you drank the Kool-Aid. Door creaking is not an acceptable feature and people who accept that quality, deserve it. A car company that thinks its customers will accept it, will keep working to that standard. :dunno:

What I like is the ability to share this information so other potential buyers can be made aware. I think it's caused me to reconsider buying a relatively new model that hasn't had the kinks worked out, regardless of the manufacturer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I posted this to roadfly 2 weeks ago, so far no noise. Is this the fix that now does not work, or did you not try this exact one yet ? I had door gaskets (attached to body)replaced early on and it does no good, the problem is not the door gaskets it is the window guides (attached to top of door). Hope so, anyway HTH.

Last Carbaflo treatment did not do well probably because of the heat around here and because I may get the X3 back from my wife I decided to try another fix for the door creaking. Had dealer order the parts for SI B 51 28 05 (March 2006) Window Guide Noise. Dealer took 3 days to do it and fix some other issues, got it back today and we will see. Dealer did nice job of installing and I will give results in month or so. Here is link to SIB:

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/BMW/1141200000000_1143619200000_512805/5128051.html

2004 3.0i, Silver Gray Metallic/Gray, Premium, Cold, Steptronic, Xenon, Privacy, Sat Prep

·
Registered
3 Posts
i just had all 4 window guides replaced as stated in bulletin 51 28 05, and so far my 05 X3 sounds just as quiet as the 06 models. no creaking coming from the door seals anymore.

i hope this fix will last....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Powder that baby!

This also happened with my 2000 3-series after polishing and waxing the body parts that touched the gaskets.

The dealer suggested that I should replace the gaskets, but the warranty had expired and it would be very expensive.

I solved it by applying a thin layer of Johnson's Baby powder.

Just a little tapping along the gaskets did the trick, not visible at all. I haven't polished my new X3 yet, but I expect that moving doors/gaskets may creak against waxed surfaces on this baby, too.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Paul in SF said:
That's funny. That's the same answer my service advisor kept trying to give. As if that somehow is either a) true, or b) acceptable. I've never had this kind of sound coming from my door seals on any of my previous cars - US, Japanese, or German. The door creaking I am hearing at its height is outrageous. It may be that you don't have it, hear less, play the sound louder, or you drank the Kool-Aid. Door creaking is not an acceptable feature and people who accept that quality, deserve it. A car company that thinks its customers will accept it, will keep working to that standard. :dunno:

What I like is the ability to share this information so other potential buyers can be made aware. I think it's caused me to reconsider buying a relatively new model that hasn't had the kinks worked out, regardless of the manufacturer.
Perfect response...I couldn't have said it better. My X is still under warranty and the doors creak very badly...why should I spend money and energy to fix it...I really don't care how incredible it is...

I have a relationship with my dealership and they do whatever I want, so i'll take it back. Plus, I like having the new 3 or 5 series as a loaner...

·
Registered
283 Posts
new2bmw2 said:
I posted this to roadfly 2 weeks ago, so far no noise. Is this the fix that now does not work, or did you not try this exact one yet ? I had door gaskets (attached to body)replaced early on and it does no good, the problem is not the door gaskets it is the window guides (attached to top of door). Hope so, anyway HTH.

Last Carbaflo treatment did not do well probably because of the heat around here and because I may get the X3 back from my wife I decided to try another fix for the door creaking. Had dealer order the parts for SI B 51 28 05 (March 2006) Window Guide Noise. Dealer took 3 days to do it and fix some other issues, got it back today and we will see. Dealer did nice job of installing and I will give results in month or so. Here is link to SIB:

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/BMW/1141200000000_1143619200000_512805/5128051.html

2004 3.0i, Silver Gray Metallic/Gray, Premium, Cold, Steptronic, Xenon, Privacy, Sat Prep
Great info...i'm taking this with me when i go in for my SERVICE...

I too recently had the rubber seals replaced because water was getting in...now, the window rattles so badly i'm constantly complaining and my wife (bimmer killer) tells me to shut up and quit complaining...

·
Registered
22 Posts
window squeaks

i dont think this has to do with my door gasket, but it may be something similar ... its about my windows ... yesterday while it was automatically rolling down, it made an annoying squeaking sound midway until full stop; the sound that you usually hear when you slide a rubber on a smooth surface like glass ... this is the first time it happened, and the sound is quite audible; not something you'd expect to hear from a bimmer ... my unit's not even a year old ... could i stop it by applying something on the rubber seals or should i just keep rolling my window up and down till it stops? :tsk:

·
Registered
38 Posts
My door seals are making noises now after I took it to a complete wash inside and outside. It's bugging me but I feel apprehensive about taking it to the dealer for maintenance fearing they'll make it worse. I think I will try the methods y'all suggested.

tromar1> keep on complaining to get your problem fixed. don't listen to the bimmer killer. :angel: :rofl: Is your wife still driving the x3?

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some members posted here notes that indicated Carbaflo will work fine on the creaking doors. Well, I got the Carbaflo thing and tried to apply it precisely where I could and that is right where the plastic trim meets the rubber. Well, that did not fix it. Can anyone tell where the actual noise is coming from and where the Carbaflo needs applied to get rid of the creaking sounds. I can't stand it anymore. All doors make a great deal of noise and I'm done with all TSB's at the dealer they applied them all with no change. Please help!

·
Registered
21 Posts
misalligned doors

I have read from another forum that the main cause for the creaks, squeaks, rattles on the x3's is because the doors are Horribly misalligned, rubbing silicon on it will alleviate the noises for the time being but not permanently. Doors need re aligning. To those who have this inherent problem ck and see if your doors lined up. If Not then you know why the rattles never disappear.

Marty

·
Registered
64 Posts
Maybe what Martz says is true. I get different stories, but my last visit the advisor said it probably would never go away. Don't to this, do that, that won't help, the noise isn't that bad, etc. It's probably one of the greatest quality disappointments I've experienced and only BMW knows what it would take to make it right.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts