BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just googling around today and saw something quite cool: the new BMW Voice Control system. Looks to be a very welcome feature.

Info here: http://www.autospies.com/news/BMW-s-New-Voice-Integration-Challenges-Ford-s-SYNC-44826/

and here: http://www.worldcarfans.com/109060819812/new-bmw-voice-control-system

It sounds like it is coming as early as September 2009. Hmmm. And i'm doing an ED on a 2010 535i on 9/8/09. I wonder if it will be a surprise addition when I pick it up? :thumbup:

When I picked up my last BMW via ED, they JUST added the Real Time Traffic Info...didn't even know it until I picked it up...nice pleasant surprise...

Anyone have insight into this?

·
Registered
66 Posts
It does look really cool. I am in basically the same boat (535xi ED on 9/9) and mentioned it here on the ED forum. JSpira's opinion is that it won't be out on US cars until Feb-Mar 2010, since the announcement was not made by BMWNA.

The official press release is here. If you want to hear the english version, you have to download the English podcast audio file; the English video file is German with incomplete subtitles.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for posting that official link...was looking all over for that ;).

Hmm. that press release does look quite official, which of course states "starting in September"...

I almost wonder if this type of functionality will be available as a software update for the newer iDrive system (Harddrive based).

that's a cool delivery date you got there Fordan: 9/9/9 ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for posting that official link...was looking all over for that ;).

Hmm. that press release does look quite official, which of course states "starting in September"...

I almost wonder if this type of functionality will be available as a software update for the newer iDrive system (Harddrive based).

that's a cool delivery date you got there Fordan: 9/9/9 ;)
And my scheduled pickup time: 9am. I really didn't plan it, I just needed to pick a date 2nd or 3rd week of Sept, flying out on Labor Day was cheap, and I wanted to arrive a day early since I didn't want to rush from the airport to BMW Welt. I didn't realize until I entered it into the ED delivery calendar that it was 9/9/09 9am.

Based on what I read, the timing (September) seemed to be coincident with the end of the factory holiday and the start of the 2010MY for most of the lines, which would make sense for a new feature, especially if it needed new hardware. With the 5-series, it gets a little more interesting since we're already in our 2010MY.

We'll see. I would not be at all shocked for JSpira to be right. But I would be happy for him to be wrong. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
This certainly sounds great on paper, but I will reserve my judgment until real-world testing of this system is done and publicized. With voice recognition systems the devil is in the details. I had some voice recognition in a 2004 Acura TL that worked very well for the things it was designed to do. That is why I was totally shocked when I bought a $60K Lexus GS450h and found that the voice recognition system on it was completely unusable due to extremely high error rate. Let's hope BMW will execute well on this new feature.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.