Bimmerfest BMW banner

361 - 380 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
And with US delivery you get your new car sooner and don't have to give up your trade-in until you get the new car. But for my wife and I, the experience at the Welt along with driving the new vehicle in Germany is worth a few extra bucks. And in my case, I can convince the wife to buy a BMW instead of a Kia with the allure of a European jaunt.
I've never given up trade in before re-delivery.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
And I have...????

·
Registered
12,309 Posts
And with US delivery you get your new car sooner and don't have to give up your trade-in until you get the new car.
Trade in can still be done when the ED car is re-delivered, but the dealer may not be as motivated to give the best trade value since the ED deal is signed and paid even before leaving for ED a few months back. Is this what your statement refers to?

·
Registered
2019 Silver 740i
638 Posts
After my ill-fated experience with a Benz C300 I will likely return to BMW. However it's a shame that the ED program was gutted as I really enjoyed the experience in 2006.

With all due respect, for many of us it was about the discount AND the experience. I love driving my car around Europe for 2 weeks, but I would be disinclined to suffer through the wait (about 10 weeks to West Coast) for redelivery without the discounts. I have to think the vast majority of buyers are not going to pay thousands extra for this experience, wonderful as it is, when you can just rent a luxury vehicle. Even worse for leasing, which seems to be where the deals are now.

·
Registered
603 Posts
We did ED back in 6/2013 and enjoyed significant savings on our 550i.

That trip ranks in our top 5 of all vacations we have ever done.

Germany, Austria, Italy and France in 2 weeks. I feel very lucky to have been part of the BMW European Delivery experience.

We ended up selling the 550i due chronic engine issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
After my ill-fated experience with a Benz C300 I will likely return to BMW. However it's a shame that the ED program was gutted as I really enjoyed the experience in 2006.

With all due respect, for many of us it was about the discount AND the experience. I love driving my car around Europe for 2 weeks, but I would be disinclined to suffer through the wait (about 10 weeks to West Coast) for redelivery without the discounts. I have to think the vast majority of buyers are not going to pay thousands extra for this experience, wonderful as it is, when you can just rent a luxury vehicle. Even worse for leasing, which seems to be where the deals are now.
I guess this means as opposed to a car off the dealer lot.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I solved the joy of driving in Europe by leaving a car there.

·
Jayhawk Fan
1,832 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
New Economics

Thinking about an ED next summer for a Z4. I took delivery of a 335i back in 2008 and it was a great experience. I can't seem to find the pricing guides for the Z4 that contain European Delivery MSRP and Invoice prices. The only reference I've found is to multiply the base by .95 to get the ED MSRP and then take .93 of that for the invoice price. Options are a straight .92 (8% off). There is some reference to a $495 bump. If I can get a dealer to put the deal together for $1,000 then the savings I've calculated equal $4,838.25. That doesn't seem bad at all. Can anyone comment on these figures and tell me if I am missing anything. Thanks.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thinking about an ED next summer for a Z4. I took delivery of a 335i back in 2008 and it was a great experience. I can't seem to find the pricing guides for the Z4 that contain European Delivery MSRP and Invoice prices. The only reference I've found is to multiply the base by .95 to get the ED MSRP and then take .93 of that for the invoice price. Options are a straight .92 (8% off). There is some reference to a $495 bump. If I can get a dealer to put the deal together for $1,000 then the savings I've calculated equal $4,838.25. That doesn't seem bad at all. Can anyone comment on these figures and tell me if I am missing anything. Thanks.
I have no current figures, but here's how my delivery 2 years ago worked for a 2018 440i.
Euro Delivery MSRP base price 95% of US MSRP. Euro Delivery wholesale 94% of Euro Delivery MSRP. All options 92% of MSRP, which is the same for Euro and US Delivery. I presume the Z4, which is made in Austria, is available for Euro Delivery. It's a fun experience, but domestic discounts, often not available for Euro Delivery cars, are so generous these days, you probably won't save any money with a Euro vs US Delivery. After the BMWCCA rebate, I figure I saved $300 over what I theoretically would have paid for US Delivery with discounts available at the time. Good luck.
John
BMWCCA 6428

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
It isn't that it is good or bad, it is just that it doesn't compare to the deals of the past where you got the discount AND the available incentives, plus they have reduced the discount by 2%.

The way to truly compare the two is to compare the value of the ED discount (5% of base MSRP) vs. the available incentives for a US delivery. The general consensus a few months back is it was only economically beneficial if the base MSRP was over $60k (a $3,000 discount) as that was what was readily available for incentives. The negotiation of $x over/under invoice is unchanged in either scenario. Then you need to factor in the re-delivery wait, and added hassle if there is a trade involved.

It is still a wonderful experience, but not the economic windfall it once was.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Euro Delivery Economics

Thanks for the responses. :thumbup:

My 2008 ED cost was 89% of MSRP and 97% of the U.S. invoice price with a no hassle / no negotiation experience. I don't recall if there were any U.S. delivery incentives that I may have qualified for but my goal was a European Delivery and Performance Center Redelivery experience.

It was easier to figure the vehicles cost back then as the price sheets spelled out ED Invoice values. I haven't seen anything like that for 2019 or 2020 models. I'll have to run the percentages against MSRP and see if I'm close with the other calculations.

·
Registered
384 Posts
BMW Euro Delivery is no longer the great deal that it once was. Thus the interest here dwindled down to nothing. My wife and I enjoyed it immensely over the 13 years we did it.
Ditto! I did quite few EDs from 1999-2014. The deals that I shopped after 2014 were horrible compared to the heavily incentivized US delivery deals. On my last deal, I got nearly 20% off MSRP on a 340i lease for US delivery through a combination of incentives and Black Friday deal.

We still go to Europe regularly and instead of doing ED, we rent cars from Sixt. I've had some really fun BMWs from Sixt. And it's very liberating not having to worry about my car while touring Europe...it's a rental!

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,509 Posts
My 2008 ED cost ....

It was easier to figure the vehicles cost back then as the price sheets spelled out ED Invoice values. I haven't seen anything like that for 2019 or 2020 models.
Invoice prices, a/k/a wholesale prices, were listed on the confidential wholesale price sheets. Then, as now, BMW NA regards that information as proprietary and not for public distribution. Several years ago they cracked down hard on those who had been routinely providing that information to BF and elsewhere; ever since, only the retail sheets have been available. I presume BMW NA made the consequences of leaking confidential price data too severe to risk.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Ditto! I did quite few EDs from 1999-2014. The deals that I shopped after 2014 were horrible compared to the heavily incentivized US delivery deals. On my last deal, I got nearly 20% off MSRP on a 340i lease for US delivery through a combination of incentives and Black Friday deal.

We still go to Europe regularly and instead of doing ED, we rent cars from Sixt. I've had some really fun BMWs from Sixt. And it's very liberating not having to worry about my car while touring Europe...it's a rental!

This is my experience as well. Far cheaper to rent a BMW from SIXT in Bavaria. :-(

·
Super Moderator
3,619 Posts
Invoice prices, a/k/a wholesale prices, were listed on the confidential wholesale price sheets. Then, as now, BMW NA regards that information as proprietary and not for public distribution. Several years ago they cracked down hard on those who had been routinely providing that information to BF and elsewhere; ever since, only the retail sheets have been available. I presume BMW NA made the consequences of leaking confidential price data too severe to risk.
Still, old information is useful.

·
Registered
2018 M4 cabrio ZCP / 2018 X5M
1,706 Posts
So for now the party's over.
The party is well indeed over, you were right on as it was predicted that ED would RIP—now September 2020 for US Customers.:thumbdwn:

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
My first experience with ED was in 1968 when my parents took delivery of a VW bus. I did it with BMW in 1984 (E30), 2000 (E39), and 2006 (E60). When I went in 2000, I was able to arrange a private tour of Individual.

Though I'm not so inclined to do it again, it saddens me that one can no longer connect with the BMW factory this way.

361 - 380 of 383 Posts