401 - 420 of 12994 Posts

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,146 Posts
The old thread crashed the site due to it's overall awesomeness. :thumbup:

·
Jesse Moon Bayne
8,245 Posts
Really? Only a couple hours! Thats awesome. Im going to replace the water pump, thermostat, tensioner, tensioner spring & bolt and the fan with the timing belt.
?

·
The Canadian Prick.
12,984 Posts
I haven't driven one, but it seems the auto journalists like how they drive. I think they're quirky in a good way - odd little hedgehog cars. I doubt their AWD is anywhere near as capable as Subaru's AWD, though.

Do base Subarus cost $30k in Canada? Here, base Imprezas start at $18k. Honestly, my vote for you would be an XV Crosstrek, which start at $22k in the US. They're just slightly lifted Impreza wagons, but they're kinda cool in my book. A friend has one which I've spent some time as a passenger in, and I think it would be awesome for your needs. You mentioned the Forester - do you need something that big? They're gargantuan nowadays. Like misdize SUV big. Another friend of mine has a '14 Forester XT Turbo. Nice SUV, with good fuel mileage, power, and handling, but there would be no point to driving something so large unless you needed the space.
The XV Crosstrek starts at $28699 cash price here. (With a 60 mos term of $440/month w/ 15% down).
The Legacy wagon is down to a 2.0 (base model), and is just too bland for my tastes. (I spent a bunch of time in a buddies '06 2.5 RS similar to yours IIRC, and it was so numb to drive, mind you, his is autotragic).

No...well yeah. didnt think the old thread wouldve brought the whole site down lol
It wasn't the thread per se. It was The Chad.

·
Needs Boost
12,109 Posts
I don't know... Everybody says this, but I've been stuck in snow with auto and manual, and neither seems better. You just need to use the brake to keep the car from moving while switching gears... :dunno:
Auto is always better in the snow. You can ease into the throttle, lessening the chance of spinning tires. You can't ease into the throttle on a manual, because as soon as you let the clutch out, it looses grip.

I've drive both new Camaros, and Corvettes in the snow. The autos move way easier.

I haven't driven one, but it seems the auto journalists like how they drive. I think they're quirky in a good way - odd little hedgehog cars. I doubt their AWD is anywhere near as capable as Subaru's AWD, though.

Do base Subarus cost $30k in Canada? Here, base Imprezas start at $18k. Honestly, my vote for you would be an XV Crosstrek, which start at $22k in the US. They're just slightly lifted Impreza wagons, but they're kinda cool in my book. A friend has one which I've spent some time as a passenger in, and I think it would be awesome for your needs. You mentioned the Forester - do you need something that big? They're gargantuan nowadays. Like misdize SUV big. Another friend of mine has a '14 Forester XT Turbo. Nice SUV, with good fuel mileage, power, and handling, but there would be no point to driving something so large unless you needed the space.
Barf at the Juke.

But the Crosstrek was the car I was thinking of, but couldn't think of the name. While I'm not a Subaru fan, those look kinda cool.

You must be drifting your e36 wrong. RWD is much easier to drift than FWD. With RWD you just use your right foot to steer. With my 323is I was easily able to drift a NASCAR oval in to a parking lot. I was drifting for about 30 minutes and I only spun a couple times. However, in my mom's Camry when lose traction the car just goes straight. I have never gotten the tail to kick out in that car.

View attachment 426037
View attachment 426038
It's literally impossible to drift FWD. Sure, you can have a lot of fun in one and slide it around, but you can't drift it.

·
Santa
3,096 Posts
That's not really drifting. More like........scooting. :rofl:

Quirky for sure.....but I don't know about a good way. Those things are ugly as hell. IMO the Aztek was a much more attractive vehicle, and that's sayin' somethin'! :eeps: Also, I don't know if it comes with a CVT, but a while back I drove a rental Rogue with the CVT and it was insult to driving.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::thumbup:

Oh , and I think it's much easier. You have to throttle steer a RWD..... a FWD you just yank the ebrake to break traction and do whatever the foshizlle you want. Never even really came close to losing it even completly sideways I could steer the thing in perfect x patterns while doing tailwhips. Want more sideways hold the ebrake for longer. That's it. I was drifting the 325I it was a ton of fun but, it was way more out of control. Counter-steering was a chore to keep that thing under control. I've got/had full studded snows on both.

·
Jesse Moon Bayne
8,245 Posts
Ken!!!!
Is adjusting the valves and easy job to do also?

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
Dwonda,

Original cooling system? Are you serious, Clark?

I sure hope you've got a running (M/S)52 sitting around somewhere.
Lol... I'll prove my point eventually. Failing cooling systems don't overheat engines, drivers do.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
jesse, best done when cold. there is a way to bump the starter over through the dme interface plug under the hood and a test light, but i forget the pins.

not too difficult. you can make an adjustment 'tool' out of a piece of wire coat hanger

ed, he tuscon comes awd/auto/v6 only, iirc, but i like my 1st gen tucson with the 2.0. not fast at all, but mrs df drives it. 165k now. bought it new.

i also like the scooby's, again awd, but pricey up there.

the juke is quirky, and reminds me a lot of the older hyundai 'bug eye' approach to design. i'd thrash one more than likely, though. nismo makes a lot of goodies for their bland-mobiles, as does scion, so i say, sure, go for it. :thumbup:

just stay away from the jeeps, eh.........pleeeeeeese....:eeps:

df

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
Auto is always better in the snow. You can ease into the throttle, lessening the chance of spinning tires. You can't ease into the throttle on a manual, because as soon as you let the clutch out, it looses grip.

I've drive both new Camaros, and Corvettes in the snow. The autos move way easier.
I don't get it, its all about control. Maybe it requires more skill? But that isn't the point. You're not going to convince me an auto can do something in the snow that I can't do in a manual. I'm pretty sure people prefer manuals even in ice racing. I've driven in Manitoba winters for years in both auto's and manuals. I think having more control in the end is always better. Especially when it comes to rocking a car. There is no easing onto the gas when you have to rock your car, it goes back and forth quickly and you need to keep up with it.

·
Jesse Moon Bayne
8,245 Posts
Idk about that motor but it was easy on my M10. No shims needed.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
jesse, best done when cold. there is a way to bump the starter over through the dme interface plug under the hood and a test light, but i forget the pins.

not too difficult. you can make an adjustment 'tool' out of a piece of wire coat hanger

ed, he tuscon comes awd/auto/v6 only, iirc, but i like my 1st gen tucson with the 2.0. not fast at all, but mrs df drives it. 165k now. bought it new.

the juke is quirky, and reminds me a lot of the older hyundai 'bug eye' approach to design. i'd thrash one more than likely, though. nismo makes a lot of goodies for their bland-mobiles, as does scion, so i say, sure, go for it. :thumbup:

df
Ok, im going to check them while the motor torn apart for timing belt. I'm so excited to get the car on the road this week or next!!!

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
in the vid attatched the guys uses an allen wrench, which will work, but the 90* angle can be a bit of a pain on some valves.

i used a wire coathanger piece with about a 22-30* bend on either side, going in opposite directions like an 's'. you could even bend the wire if needed.

can't do that with an allen....:eeps:

http://youtu.be/zo_wwLNwPIQ

df

·
Jesse Moon Bayne
8,245 Posts
That seems really easy and straight forward to me. Thanks.

·
The Canadian Prick.
12,984 Posts

df
My biggest issue with the Tuscon is here an AWD starts at $29,310.65. That quite pricey for what it is. Same~ish with the Rav 4, and the CR-V.

Why do you say to avoid Jeep?

·
Jesse Moon Bayne
8,245 Posts
I had a 97 jeep wrangler and loved it.

·
Needs Boost
12,109 Posts

df
I found it easy just to put it in 4th gear and push the car forward to move the engine.

I don't get it, its all about control. Maybe it requires more skill? But that isn't the point. You're not going to convince me an auto can do something in the snow that I can't do in a manual. I'm pretty sure people prefer manuals even in ice racing. I've driven in Manitoba winters for years in both auto's and manuals. I think having more control in the end is always better. Especially when it comes to rocking a car. There is no easing onto the gas when you have to rock your car, it goes back and forth quickly and you need to keep up with it.

I'm not talking about rocking.

Take a manual at the bottom of a hill in the snow and try to move forward. It's going to spin no matter what you do because you cannot slip the clutch in snow.

Do that with an automatic and you'll have far less tire slip.

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
Sorry I disagree. I think you can slip a clutch no matter what the conditions are.

401 - 420 of 12994 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.