Not open for further replies.
1201 - 1220 of 12994 Posts

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,146 Posts
you have these part numbers kind sir?
Filler hose:

16-12-1-180-402

I'm no sure which vent hose is bad (there's more than one) so no number for that yet.

·
Speed is Zen
9,754 Posts

·
Jesse Moon Bayne
8,245 Posts
Filler hose:

16-12-1-180-402

I'm no sure which vent hose is bad (there's more than one) so no number for that yet.
Thanks! Ill try to see if that is what is leaking this weekend.

You guys want some light reading? :rofl:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2087375-Gut-Check-Attempting-to-Fix-a-Seeping-Head-Gasket-Tomorrow-by-Replacing-Head-Bolts

Dude cannot accept that he's wrong. If it doesn't hold up and I have to update that thread saying so, it's going to make his whole month.
Dude is writing a book haha.

Also think I'm going to suck it up and just put the e36 in the shop (martin's german service) and let them diagnose and fix the oil leak I'm having, pretty sure it's the OPG but I rather do it before it gets painted. That way I can enjoy it fully once it's done.

·
Speed is Zen
9,754 Posts
Tell them I said hi!

If Keith is around and his Green 911 is in the showroom you should ask him about it. He completed a 10+ year nut & bolt restoration on it last year and it's really something to see. I haven't seen it in person since he completed it but I stopped by last year when he was working on the final installation of the interior, seeing something that's so old and so new at the same time is just captivating.

·
Jesse Moon Bayne
8,245 Posts
Question.....if my OPG is whats causing my oil leak, would it leak even when sitting or only when running/hot? BC my car is leaking all the time it appears. Been sitting for a week and theres alot of oil under my car, looks like it leaks all the time.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,146 Posts
How dirty is the pan/chassis? If it's the OPG leaking, and the pan is clean on the outside, the oil will drip down and no more will come out. If the pan is dirty, the dirt will slow up the flow down the sides and it will drip for days.

Condensed version: No. If the engine is off, there should be little to no more oil coming out.

·
Speed is Zen
9,754 Posts
You checked the drain plug right?

I was hesitant to answer because I didn't know if the oil level would be above the pan while it's off or if the majority of it sits below that line. You could put a piece of cardboard under it after it has cooled down some to get a gauge for how much it's dripping when cold.

·
Jesse Moon Bayne
8,245 Posts
Hmm....wonder why theres so much then? Could there be a hose or something? Or possibly the oil filter housing gasket? Ugh....I hate diagnosing oil leaks :(

·
Jesse Moon Bayne
8,245 Posts
You checked the drain plug right?

I was hesitant to answer because I didn't know if the oil level would be above the pan while it's off or if the majority of it sits below that line. You could put a piece of cardboard under it after it has cooled down some to get a gauge for how much it's dripping when cold.
Thats a great idea....Ill try that once all this weather is gone. I guess it could be the drain plug and when driving its blowing the oil everywhere (on the pan etc.) I just ordered 3 new magnetic drain plugs from ecs along with oil filters for the e30/36/53...I think the x5 has a oil leak too :mad:
Hoping new drain plugs will fix atleast the e36/e53 leak.

·
Speed is Zen
9,754 Posts
When my car blew out the freeze plugs on the back of the OFH i was able to diganose it quickly by driving it until it was hot, jacking up the front of it, hosing down everything I could see with brakekleen, then starting the motor and getting comfortable underneath it until it started dripping.

After about 3 minutes, sure enough I had a fresh stream and started tracing it upwards, and that's when I discovered those evil little freeze plugs on the OBD-I cars.

·
Jesse Moon Bayne
8,245 Posts
Hmmm...how hard was that to replace?

·
Speed is Zen
9,754 Posts
Not bad, only took me a couple hours, just make sure you get those o-rings for those freeze plugs. There is no P/N for them but the dealer can usually dig them up, I think they are in the 318i diagram.

Checked the M3's coolant level again when I went out to shovel snow, after sitting for 24+ hours and getting all the way cold the level was about 1/4in below the cold mark. I dunno if that's to be expected when the car goes from maybe 80* to 35*. Probably not. So I may not have fixed it but it does seem like I slowed it down quite a bit, I'm going to try to avoid brooding until I can take it out and get some real mileage on it.

·
Jesse Moon Bayne
8,245 Posts
Not bad, only took me a couple hours, just make sure you get those o-rings for those freeze plugs. There is no P/N for them but the dealer can usually dig them up, I think they are in the 318i diagram.

Checked the M3's coolant level again when I went out to shovel snow, after sitting for 24+ hours and getting all the way cold the level was about 1/4in below the cold mark. I dunno if that's to be expected when the car goes from maybe 80* to 35*. Probably not. So I may not have fixed it but it does seem like I slowed it down quite a bit, I'm going to try to avoid brooding until I can take it out and get some real mileage on it.
This one says "updated plugs"
Is that the same as the s50 housing or is it different? Just wondering what he means by updated plugs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230928518077?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_4221wt_1105
was wondering if this is better than what is on the s50, if so id buy it when I replaced the oph gasket. If all they did was swap out the plugs like id do with mine then ill just replace them myself.

·
Speed is Zen
9,754 Posts
Jake took his off his '97 over the weekend and it looked like the one in the link, looks like the OBD-II cars used large threaded bolts instead of the ridiculous o-ring > cap > snap ring setup on the OBD-I cars. The one in the link looks like an OBD-II one.

You could order that and swap it on, but you'd be solving a $4 problem (at dealer pricing) with a $100 housing. If you can source the correct O-rings it's not too bad to swap them out and they should last another 15-20 years.

I think these are the right ones, he says VANOS but they look like they are talking about the OFH: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1109419-*DIY-M50-VANOS-Oil-leak-Fix-found!

·
Jesse Moon Bayne
8,245 Posts
Cool man thanks. Guess Ill try to take a look at it this weekend and see if I can find it.

·
Speed is Zen
9,754 Posts
You can see it with a mirror if you get it at the right angle. There are two of them on the backside of the housing, pointing towards the back of the car under the intake manifold.

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
Ugh more bad news...

So my interview was on Wednesday for Time Warner, and I was told then that it would take 3 weeks for me to get a phone call letting me know one way or the other. On Friday I got an email identical to other emails for other positions I've applied for at Time Warner indicating that they will not be moving me forward in their selection process, so considering those emails usually come shortly after submitting my resume, I thought maybe it was for another position I applied for, well I emailed the lady who gave me my interview time and asked her, and she got back to me today and confirmed that it IS in regards to the position I just interviewed for. Man I seriously don't get it, I'm beginning to wonder if North Carolinians have something against Canadians... I am more than qualified for that job, and I thought the interview went great. I'm going to have to put everything I've got into my next interview this Wednesday.

1201 - 1220 of 12994 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.