Bimmerfest BMW banner

3021 - 3040 of 8444 Posts

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Today I was pleased to be reminded of why we like Bavarias finest..... I had to take a 2 hour return trip out of town so I took the recently acquired E46 to see how healthy it is in pouring rain and I was left assured that it was a safe place to be. At speeds of up to 90 mph in raining river conditions it felt like it was on rails embarrassing cars a third of its age on the uphill sections of the freeway....

There's only the small matter that it needs a glass of water top up every 700-800 miles... Dunno if it's normal, I'll have to look into it...

·
Ambitious But Rubbish
1,231 Posts
Well, the Denali is off at the shop being diagnosed. Going to have the oil leak sorted, transmission fluid changed (new filter and gasket, too) and brakes bled. I like wrenching as much as anyone, but at a certain point, it's easier to just let someone else handle it and go to work.

On a lighter note related to spending money, I found a local shop that's going to cage my M3 - FINALLY. Going to drop off the deposit money on Thursday, strip the car this weekend and tow it over there next week sometime.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
contacted a realtor and mortgage company. i found a house that checks all the right boxes, so now off to see what i need to do toward getting a a pre-qual bid together and a walk through.

now the games begin....:angel:

df

·
Ambitious But Rubbish
1,231 Posts
Denali is going to be sold.

Needs an oil pan gasket, oil cooler lines, and rear main seal. And new transmission fluid/filter. And after all that, it'll still have the common GMT800 threat of exploding brake lines.

Currently in the market for a 2011+ F-150 Lariat or FX4. So done with GM.

·
BMW CCA Member
3,419 Posts
I think sleep becomes irrelevant for Harry when he's on a mission. :)
Hahaha, Horn, Don is right. Sleep is irrelevant when I am on a mission. I did this maintenance in one day. Started at 8:00 AM, finished at 8:00 PM, no thanks to broken vacuum hoses, fishing them out, cleaning up the broken hose debris, verifying other hoses, cleaning up oil everywhere, cleaning up coolant, and WORST of all, that G'DAMN AIRBOX!! I will be removing that resonator by getting a 323i/325i intake boot that doesn't have that idiotic opening for a sound deadener. I will also remove the horn from the main airbox. I like hearing my car rev. :D

Pictures will follow.

And Dio ///M, you are dead on. This car's balance and stability is ruthlessly amazing. Just going to Summit Point in this car and doing 120 mph, the car feels in element. Smooth, precise, controlled steering, and... comfort. HAHAHA!! And yes, you really do feel like driving more.

So an update on what's left:

1.) Changing the radio display plate because the pixels are irking me. It's like someone standing behind you and flicking your ear endlessly.

2.) Tires. Going to Yokohama Advan Envigors. I've had em before and their wet/dry/snow grip is damn good. I had them on my 98 328i and they were awesome.

Side note: I miss my 328i... :cry: Sick and tired of having no space. I may go and rent some space from Frank just so I can store my cars instead of selling them. I love all cars I had/have, save for the 128i. I REALLY HATE TODAY'S BMWs. But, the car is paid off and maybe I should do some gofast stuff on it.

3.) Get inspection and get it legal. Ahem... :eeps:

4.) Replace the body color trim and go with non painted trim. I know in 2001 BMW went with body colored moldings, but I don't like it. The 530i M Sport is Silver on Silver. There's no F'ing contrast. But DAMN is it fun to drive. :rofl:

5.) Replace fuel filter & regulator. I saw the date was markered at 4/2006. :yikes::yikes:

6.) Do the brakes and rotors. Wear sensor light came on, and from the looks of things, it is for the rear (which will fail inspection).

7.) Do the brake fluid.

Long term goals:

1.) Bilstein suspension with H&R sport springs.

2.) E38 7 series M Parallel wheels.

3.) M5 bumper and non-painted body moldings.

4.) A good buff and wax and engine detailing.

I know I missed a good bunch of stuff, but work is causing drain bamage.

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,448 Posts

Needs an oil pan gasket, oil cooler lines, and rear main seal. And new transmission fluid/filter. And after all that, it'll still have the common GMT800 threat of exploding brake lines.

Huh... Knowing nothing about Denalis, those repairs seem somewhat minor, but I'm assuming the labor involved makes it a bigger issue. I wonder what issues Fords typically suffer from.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Well, I just got a 2003 530i m sport (MANUAL) on new years. Holy cow, what has happened to the 5 series now? Or BMWs in general. Talk about comfort and sport at the same time. Did some much needed maintenance on the car, including that adjuster unit that sits on the side of the air intake manifold. Holy cow, when I pulled that bastard out, the flap was teetering. Had I driven it any more, I fear what would have happened if it broke off into the intake manifold.

The car was also misfiring like a mofo and running quite lean. I replaced quite a few vacuum hoses, so now it is running properly. I replaced the valve cover gasket and saw a lot of oil in cylinders 3, 4, 5. Coil packs on cylinders 5 and 6 were worn out (rubber got stuck on the plugs). So I replaced them all. Misfiring gone and LOTS of power.

Did the cooling system and replaced the hoses. One thing I enjoy about the car is bleeding it. Just put in position 3, and fill. Wait a few minutes until all burping is done, drive, yeehaw.

Inspected the underchassis and it was CLEAN! Plenty of oil residue on the engine oil pan, and saw leaks coming from the oil pan gasket... fun... Power steering reservoir is leaking from the bottom as well. May just remove the OEM clamps and put some Norma clamps on them. We'll see. No other leaks detected on other lines.

Replaced spark plugs, because why not. Had a spare set anyways, just collecting dust.

Fixed the pixelated speedo by cleaning that input wire. Radio is still pixelated.

Replaced the water pump, thermostat, and sensor on lower hose, but like a moron, I forgot to get the new belts... *sigh*. No squealing yet, but a trip back to the dealer today. Pulleys were still new, so I am assuming the belts were done as well, since I can still read the Continental brand, and numbers. Should I get a new belt?

All bushings on suspension arms were good, front and rear, all shocks were good.

Subframes front and rear were good, rear chassis showed no evidence of tears whether from up top in the trunk or on the bottom. Dodged the bullet for now, but don't know if I should reinforce it anyways. Anyone know if the E39 is just as bad as the E46 for chassis tearing?

Interior is immaculate, but needs a good cleaning.

Replaced rear window regulators, passenger side was fubbed, so I figure I do em both. Very easy to do on these cars versus the E36. Surprisingly.

Will be checking the CCV next by removing the dipstick while running and putting my finger on the tube. If my finger gets sucked in, bad CCV. If not, yeehaw.

Ground wire was cracked, and then broke while doing the VC gasket. Soldered on new wiring, good to go now. Was a major PITA. Had to open the box and trace the wire until I felt good wire and soldered from there. Finding the same color wire was fun...

Still more maintenance to go... ugh... Now I know why I hate the M54B30 engines...
Give me your car maintenance funds...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,152 Posts
Rob Siegel just went through a brake line replacement on his Suburban, written up in his Hack Mechanic column in the Roundel weekly e-magazine. It sounded like a terrible job. I imagine the Denali is cut from the same cloth.

·
Ambitious But Rubbish
1,231 Posts
Huh... Knowing nothing about Denalis, those repairs seem somewhat minor, but I'm assuming the labor involved makes it a bigger issue. I wonder what issues Fords typically suffer from.
Keep in mind I also have rebuilt the entire steering system over the last year and replaced countless other gaskets in an effort to keep the oil where it belongs.

The brake line threat is very real - GM didn't use coated lines, so they rust out from the inside out. You know it's happened when you go for the brakes and suddenly have none. My friend's Yukon gave out right as he pulled into his driveway after towing his M3 home from Summit.

The RMS requires dropping the transmission, transfer case, and front driveshaft. Not something I'm doing in my driveway, the truck doesn't fit in the garage, and that work by itself is about $900. And then I still have two more leaks that could turn far worse.

Brake line re-do requires removal of the gas tank (pickups you can just remove the bed, which is super easy). That could be a $1k job. GM was hit with a class-action claim about the lines, and claimed that rotting hard lines was "common in any car" and "routine maintenance." Tell that to every other old car I've owned.

I would put up with a lot of crap on my daily driver - hence why I drive a salvage-title 328iC with a crooked bumper and rattly windows - but doing 1k+ mile trips with a trailer... I don't want to be stranded or put my safety at risk. And I can't help but think, I've already thrown over $3k in maintenance at this Denali in the first year (not including the new tires), it needs another $2kish now... where will it stop? It'll need new Magneride shocks eventually and those are spendy. Rear brake pads/rotors are coming up soon. It all just adds up fast, and for the money I could be putting into it, I could also put the same amount into a newer truck that's less used-up.

A friend of mine has a newer F-150 and told me about all the research he's done (he bought a 2011 brand new). Apparently the very early 2011 EcoBoost trucks had an intercooler problem, that was addressed as a TSB by Ford. Whatever I buy would still have the powertrain warranty active, so I'm not worried there.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
My small Christmas present finally arrived late... Just a little something I'll be hanging in the garage with the diecast collection... A precise and exact scale reproduction of the Bmw Williams F1 '00-'02 season team steering wheel.

Attachments

·
Needs Boost
12,109 Posts

Uhh the GMT800 is one of the most reliable suvs out there. What's the mileage? Just because your vehicle requires some maintenence doesn't mean all GM vehicles are junk.

Also keep in mind that a twin turbo ecoboost engine will be more expensive to fix than a good old V8.

·
NCC BMWCCA member
181 Posts
Keep in mind I also have rebuilt the entire steering system over the last year and replaced countless other gaskets in an effort to keep the oil where it belongs.

The brake line threat is very real - GM didn't use coated lines, so they rust out from the inside out. You know it's happened when you go for the brakes and suddenly have none. My friend's Yukon gave out right as he pulled into his driveway after towing his M3 home from Summit.

The RMS requires dropping the transmission, transfer case, and front driveshaft. Not something I'm doing in my driveway, the truck doesn't fit in the garage, and that work by itself is about $900. And then I still have two more leaks that could turn far worse.

Brake line re-do requires removal of the gas tank (pickups you can just remove the bed, which is super easy). That could be a $1k job. GM was hit with a class-action claim about the lines, and claimed that rotting hard lines was "common in any car" and "routine maintenance." Tell that to every other old car I've owned.

I would put up with a lot of crap on my daily driver - hence why I drive a salvage-title 328iC with a crooked bumper and rattly windows - but doing 1k+ mile trips with a trailer... I don't want to be stranded or put my safety at risk. And I can't help but think, I've already thrown over $3k in maintenance at this Denali in the first year (not including the new tires), it needs another $2kish now... where will it stop? It'll need new Magneride shocks eventually and those are spendy. Rear brake pads/rotors are coming up soon. It all just adds up fast, and for the money I could be putting into it, I could also put the same amount into a newer truck that's less used-up.

A friend of mine has a newer F-150 and told me about all the research he's done (he bought a 2011 brand new). Apparently the very early 2011 EcoBoost trucks had an intercooler problem, that was addressed as a TSB by Ford. Whatever I buy would still have the powertrain warranty active, so I'm not worried there.
If your letting it go cheap, let me know. I have a 9000 lb lift and need a tow vehicle by Summit.

·
The Canadian Prick.
12,984 Posts

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,448 Posts
Eh, I think that trope is a bit played out, though. The Viper has always wanted to kill its driver (until now), and people were never happy with it. I don't get the impression for one second that this Viper is dull, numb, or uninvolved to drive fast. They've just worked out the kinks so that it finally no longer has bad habits.

But I don't think these cars are really comparable, though. The Z06 is way more on the luxury side, and the Viper ACR is a no-compromise track day car with crazy aero. And the differences show in their lap times.

·
Ambitious But Rubbish
1,231 Posts
Uhh the GMT800 is one of the most reliable suvs out there. What's the mileage? Just because your vehicle requires some maintenence doesn't mean all GM vehicles are junk.

Also keep in mind that a twin turbo ecoboost engine will be more expensive to fix than a good old V8.
Maybe I got a bad one. I'm at 143k, it was a one-owner, dealer-maintained, locally-owned truck until I bought it with 125k (and no issues) on the odometer.

I'm not set on the EcoBoost, I am also looking at the 5.0L V8. Need to drive both.

·
Needs Boost
12,109 Posts
Eh, I think that trope is a bit played out, though. The Viper has always wanted to kill its driver (until now), and people were never happy with it. I don't get the impression for one second that this Viper is dull, numb, or uninvolved to drive fast. They've just worked out the kinks so that it finally no longer has bad habits.

But I don't think these cars are really comparable, though. The Z06 is way more on the luxury side, and the Viper ACR is a no-compromise track day car with crazy aero. And the differences show in their lap times.
Exactly and the viper is what, $30k more?. That viper looks sick though.

Maybe I got a bad one. I'm at 143k, it was a one-owner, dealer-maintained, locally-owned truck until I bought it with 125k (and no issues) on the odometer.

I'm not set on the EcoBoost, I am also looking at the 5.0L V8. Need to drive both.
Those are average problems for a high mileage vehicle.

·
Ambitious But Rubbish
1,231 Posts

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,152 Posts
You'll deal with just as much on a Ford of the same age/mileage. Just wait until you have to change plugs. :tsk: Another of Fords "better ideas". :thumbdwn:

3021 - 3040 of 8444 Posts