Bimmerfest BMW banner

3281 - 3300 of 8444 Posts

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,141 Posts
Where are you looking for nylock nuts? Home Depot, Lowes, Fastenal and most decent hardware stores have them. SAE and Metric.

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,448 Posts
I've always loved your e36 man. It's very clean, there was some times where I wished you were old and didn't know the value of your car, I'd definitely offer you $8,000
Heh, yeah, at 34, I'm older than the majority of the regulars here, but not yet old enough to be totally loony. :rofl: I bet it would be hard to get $8k for my car even though it's in incredible shape and is faster than any stock M3. My Excel spreadsheet is currently telling me that I've somehow managed to spend nearly $20k :eeps: on it (not including the cost of the car itself) since 2010, so there is no way I could ever sell it and not lose a boat load of money. But that just comes with the territory of modding a car that is already at the bottom of the depreciation curve.

Would love to see the photos of your car if you can get them uploaded eventually.

I'm having the toughest time finding replacement nylon locking nuts. Only grainger carries them, but I don't need packs of 100. I can probably order them online, but that won't let me work in 50 temps this weekend. Anyone ever had an issue reusing one?
You can reuse them, for sure. Just add some treadlock and call it a day.

----

Anyone else watching the Rolex 24 at Daytona?

http://www.imsa.com/camera/imsatv

Lots of awesome new cars racing this season, including a brand new BMW M6, Ford GT, Corvettes, Lambos, etc. Super awesome diversity

I'm happy as a clam, as I've got a beer next to me, top-tier auto racing to watch for the next 20 hours, and the other half is on the other side of the country visiting family. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Heh, yeah, at 34, I'm older than the majority of the regulars here, but not yet old enough to be totally loony. :rofl: I bet it would be hard to get $8k for my car even though it's in incredible shape and is faster than any stock M3. My Excel spreadsheet is currently telling me that I've somehow managed to spend nearly $20k :eeps: on it (not including the cost of the car itself) since 2010, so there is no way I could ever sell it and not lose a boat load of money. But that just comes with the territory of modding a car that is already at the bottom of the depreciation curve.

Would love to see the photos of your car if you can get them uploaded eventually.

Yeah, I can definitely relate. It's a never ending process- money pit.
I've owned this Subaru for 2 years now, so far I've spent $6,000 on the motor alone, maintenance? oh god, probably like another $2,000 :yikes:

Let me know if the pics come up, I'm having some trouble with this app.

ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1454198391.901685.jpg ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1454198460.259519.jpg ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1454198515.600337.jpg

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,448 Posts
Pics worked! I dig your Subaru. Looks like it would be a fun car, and a turbo subaru is much easier to squeeze power out of than an E36!

Are you taking it to the track at all?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pics worked! I dig your Subaru. Looks like it would be a fun car, and a turbo subaru is much easier to squeeze power out of than an E36!

Are you taking it to the track at all?

I did auto-x a couple of times when I first got it. I had a freaking blast, very fun.
With all the new upgrades, I plan to hit Auto Club speedway, once the break-in is done, of course.
Finishing touches are, upgrading the intercooler, oil cooler, and headers.
Other than that, she's golden.
I upgraded the injectors, fuel pump, Air Oil separator, and etc
I guess you could say "she's heavily modded" LOL'z
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1454199850.928384.jpg ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1454199887.684127.jpg ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1454199899.902154.jpg ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1454199912.053040.jpg ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1454199929.472643.jpg

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,141 Posts
Thanks for the reminder about the 24 Hours race, Karl. It seems to be earlier this year, or is that my imagination? I always had it pegged for the first week in February.... :dunno:

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,448 Posts
It was Jan. 24-25 last year, so it's about a week later. It's always the end of January. And thank God for that... I can't breathe without endurance racing to follow!

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,141 Posts
Wife and I are still in NFL withdrawal. Watched the Senior Bowl today, but that's weak sauce in comparision. Funny....I went to the Senior Bowl for 15 years straight and the weather was lousy every year. I quit going and it was beautiful all day. The stadium is about 20 miles from here.....

·
Needs Boost
12,109 Posts

Faster than an m3? You mean on a track or straight line?

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,448 Posts
On a track I have no problem dispatching stock'ish E36 M3s, but I also doubt I'm much slower in a straight line now because my car weighs under 3,000lbs and has 3.23 gears and feathery wheels. Maybe slower in a straight line by a few tenths. Certainly compared to S50 M3s. But straightline speed is also of zero concern to me.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
^this. straight line speed, as in running a 1/4, is one thing that i don't see as a major aspect of owning a bmw. not that i don't appreciate the ones that do manage to get really incredible times and speeds doing so.

i just think that there are better options for doing so if straight line top speed is your goal.

just like races like nascar appeal to some, open wheel and rally appeal to others. saying one is "better" than another is like saying tacos are better than ravioli. they're both food items, but that's where the similarities end.

myself?? i tend to like rally stuff, turbo awd 4cylinder compacts, le mans as well as "le-mons" (cuz it's just fun and cheating is encouraged....:angel: ) but i can appreciate circle races like nascar and dirt tracks along with drag racing.

regardless of what sort of auto sport one is into, though, there are plenty of options to indulge without needing to do so on public streets.

df

·
The Canadian Prick.
12,984 Posts
^this. straight line speed, as in running a 1/4, is one thing that i don't see as a major aspect of owning a bmw. not that i don't appreciate the ones that do manage to get really incredible times and speeds doing so.

i just think that there are better options for doing so if straight line top speed is your goal.

just like races like nascar appeal to some, open wheel and rally appeal to others. saying one is "better" than another is like saying tacos are better than ravioli. they're both food items, but that's where the similarities end.

myself?? i tend to like rally stuff, turbo awd 4cylinder compacts, le mans as well as "le-mons" (cuz it's just fun and cheating is encouraged....:angel: ) but i can appreciate circle races like nascar and dirt tracks along with drag racing.

regardless of what sort of auto sport one is into, though, there are plenty of options to indulge without needing to do so on public streets.

df
Ravioli has NEVER been an offering at BF.e though. Obviously tacos are better.

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
On a track I have no problem dispatching stock'ish E36 M3s, but I also doubt I'm much slower in a straight line now because my car weighs under 3,000lbs and has 3.23 gears and feathery wheels. Maybe slower in a straight line by a few tenths. Certainly compared to S50 M3s. But straightline speed is also of zero concern to me.

As far as weight savings you just took out your rear seats, replaced your front seats, and added a roll bar right?

I started a buisness trip at 7am today, on my way to Harvard. Really sucks too because I just got GT1 gling on my bmw-puter and I really wanted to test out my interface and check my abs codes, also I'm missing our first playoff game tonight. oh well I'll be back Wednesday.

Here's a picture I just took of the Hudson.

ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1454279373.549439.jpg

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,141 Posts
I spotted an E36 coming up for auction at Barrett-Jackson. Either black or really dark blue. Not sure when it will cross the block.

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
I spotted an E36 coming up for auction at Barrett-Jackson. Either black or really dark blue. Not sure when it will cross the block.
Be interesting to see what's special about it and what it goes for.......

The yellow Isetta Cabriolet just went for $55K.

·
Registered
355 Posts

You can reuse them, for sure. Just add some treadlock and call it a day.

----

Anyone else watching the Rolex 24 at Daytona?

http://www.imsa.com/camera/imsatv

Lots of awesome new cars racing this season, including a brand new BMW M6, Ford GT, Corvettes, Lambos, etc. Super awesome diversity

I'm happy as a clam, as I've got a beer next to me, top-tier auto racing to watch for the next 20 hours, and the other half is on the other side of the country visiting family. :D
Yeah Daytona was sick.

14 Miles...

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,141 Posts
I think the E36 sold during the commercial just now. It was behind the red '71 Chevelle that sold just before the break. :(

3281 - 3300 of 8444 Posts