Bimmerfest BMW banner

3721 - 3740 of 8444 Posts

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
nice, matt.....makes me miss my 5 series (ok, it was an e28...., but still :p )...:(

but, things are moving along and i have plans and ideas for stuff and junk. if i ever did manage to get another one i would probably make some frankenbimmer mods to it just because........:angel::D

anyway, project renovate df's house has commenced. roof estimate received, finances set into motion, and bathroom renovation material collection has been initiated. plans for kitchen reno will most likely be involving a diy concrete counetertop with epoxy finishing coats to replicate a natural stone finish.

the concrete counter is still in the planning stage, but it looks to be the best, easiest diy product that will avail a durable (read renter-proof) finish long term.

thoughts on said countertop ideas?? experiences?? setbacks?? advantages??:dunno:

df's new ideal house?? 10,000sq ft garage with a studio loft above for creative madness, and a 300sq ft kitchen with a walk-in cooler/freezer and commercial ranges with stainless steel countertops and wheeled tables.

oh yeah,...and a bed somewhere....:eeps:

df

·
Needs Boost
12,109 Posts
nice, matt.....makes me miss my 5 series (ok, it was an e28...., but still)...:(

but, things are moving along and i have plans and ideas for stuff and junk. if i ever did manage to get another one i would probably make some frankenbimmer mods to it just because........:angel::D

anyway, project renovate df's house has commenced. roof estimate received, finances set into motion, and bathroom renovation material collection has been initiated. plans for kitchen reno will most likely be involving a diy concrete counetertop with epoxy finishing coats to replicate a natural stone finish.

the concrete counter is still in the planning stage, but it looks to be the best, easiest diy product that will avail a durable (read renter-proof) finish long term.

thoughts on said countertop ideas?? experiences?? setbacks?? advantages??:dunno:

df's new ideal house?? 10,000sq ft garage with a studio loft above for creative madness, and a 300sq ft kitchen with a walk-in cooler/freezer and commercial ranges with stainless steel countertops and wheeled tables.

oh yeah,...and a bed somewhere....:eeps:

df
Awesome wheel choice.
That's my buddies boosted wagon.

They are 18X10s with 265/35 in the stock wells. I was impressed they fit.

·
The Canadian Prick.
12,984 Posts
What the hells is all that green stuff?

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I watched a documentary about this once At Your Finger Tips: Grass. I think that is corn, right? :rolf:

·
Back in the game
1,629 Posts
Anyone here familar with the cut-a-strut technique used to install koni yellows on an e36 m3? When I looked at yellows for the 328is I thought it was the whole housing. Did koni really not want to weld on a sway link mount?

Asking because I'm knee deep in a front suspension overhaul. Going with 95 geometry up front!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Anyone here familar with the cut-a-strut technique used to install koni yellows on an e36 m3? When I looked at yellows for the 328is I thought it was the whole housing. Did koni really not want to weld on a sway link mount?

Asking because I'm knee deep in a front suspension overhaul. Going with 95 geometry up front!

They probably did it to kept costs down. Koni has a tutorial on their website.

I am currently doing it, had to put on hold but already cut the housings, next comes painting for extra protection.

Koni makes it seem easy to cut the top of the strut but on the M3 strut the cut comes too close to the spring seat so I did it in two steps.

If you are going with 95 front geometry on a 328 which housings are you using?

Akg sells the sway bar tabs to weld on non-M struts. Or just get a pair of blown M3 struts, I think 95 and 96-98 use same strut housing but I may be wrong.

I asked Koni if it was possible to use the M3 Bilsteins but they were of no help. Once I do my swap I'll check if they fit into those, I had quite a hard time finding decently priced blown M3 struts. Being NJ everyone wants almost new prices.

·
Speed is Zen
9,754 Posts
So the last time I drove my car it made crunchy noises when letting the clutch out. :eek:

Assuming I need one, does anyone have experience with these "FX Clutch kits" on ebay? http://www.ebay.com/itm/FX-STAGE-2-CLUTCH-KIT-RACE-LIGHT-FLYWHEEL-BMW-325-328-525-528-M3-Z3-E34-E36-E39-/400687835069?fits=Model%3AM3&hash=item5d4adb27bd:g:dS4AAOSwBLlVUUvZ&vxp=mtr

Its about half the cost of a similar setup from Bimmerworld or Turner, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot and have to do the job twice.

EDIT: This one has an OEM Sachs clutch and the cheap "FXRacing" flywheel. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SACHS-CLUTCH-KIT-RACE-FLYWHEEL-BMW-323-325-328-M3-Z3-M-E36-525i-E34-528i-E39-/161027455982?fits=Model:M3&hash=item257dfbfbee:g:CxkAAOxyaURThRtE&vxp=mtr

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,157 Posts
It's snow with a fungus infection. Stay away. If you have it, you have to continually trim it to keep it under control. People spend a great deal of money to buy special fungus trimmers to clip it back, and you hope the snow will eventually win out and you can park the trimmers.

;) :p

Attachments

·
Back in the game
1,629 Posts
They probably did it to kept costs down. Koni has a tutorial on their website.

I am currently doing it, had to put on hold but already cut the housings, next comes painting for extra protection.

Koni makes it seem easy to cut the top of the strut but on the M3 strut the cut comes too close to the spring seat so I did it in two steps.

If you are going with 95 front geometry on a 328 which housings are you using?

Akg sells the sway bar tabs to weld on non-M struts. Or just get a pair of blown M3 struts, I think 95 and 96-98 use same strut housing but I may be wrong.

I asked Koni if it was possible to use the M3 Bilsteins but they were of no help. Once I do my swap I'll check if they fit into those, I had quite a hard time finding decently priced blown M3 struts. Being NJ everyone wants almost new prices.
Yea that video does make it look easy. All those videos do! :p. I am going with 95 M3 geometry on my 97 m3 since I already had bimmerworld offset fcabs. (And caster is faster, right?)

I just pulled the trigger on a new koni sport kit with h&r sports. Price was too good to say no.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Yea that video does make it look easy. All those videos do! :p. I am going with 95 M3 geometry on my 97 m3 since I already had bimmerworld offset fcabs. (And caster is faster, right?)

I just pulled the trigger on a new koni sport kit with h&r sports. Price was too good to say no.

Yeah I got mine a year ago when they went on sale too. Will buy the rears in STR.T version to have whole new setup, one of the rears started leaking.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
So the last time I drove my car it made crunchy noises when letting the clutch out. :eek:

Assuming I need one, does anyone have experience with these "FX Clutch kits" on ebay? http://www.ebay.com/itm/FX-STAGE-2-CLUTCH-KIT-RACE-LIGHT-FLYWHEEL-BMW-325-328-525-528-M3-Z3-E34-E36-E39-/400687835069?fits=Model:M3&hash=item5d4adb27bd:g:dS4AAOSwBLlVUUvZ&vxp=mtr

Its about half the cost of a similar setup from Bimmerworld or Turner, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot and have to do the job twice.

EDIT: This one has an OEM Sachs clutch and the cheap "FXRacing" flywheel. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SACHS-CLUTCH-KIT-RACE-FLYWHEEL-BMW-323-325-328-M3-Z3-M-E36-525i-E34-528i-E39-/161027455982?fits=Model:M3&hash=item257dfbfbee:g:CxkAAOxyaURThRtE&vxp=mtr

I bought the stage 2 setup from a guy in CL $300-350 iirc a few months ago, that's what I'll be putting in mine when I do the auto to manual swap.
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1457556677.906867.jpg
The flywheel is not the lightest but is lighter than stock. I think Franklyn used that setup before.

A guy down the street with a 95 E34 and his friend with an E36 both run the same kit and are pretty happy with them, they are at stock motors (exhaust mods only) and they like to drive hard, you can hear them buzz down the street all the time.

3721 - 3740 of 8444 Posts