Bimmerfest BMW banner

3741 - 3760 of 8444 Posts

·
Speed is Zen
9,754 Posts
Thanks for the info, that aligns with everything I could find about them from searching through the forums.

I have a list of parts all queued up, but I need to invest a little more effort into diagnosing the noise. It did it pretty consistently under acceleration, when turning, but most consistently of all when the clutch was in the engagement point. However, after letting it sit for an hour while eating lunch, it mostly seemed to go away on the drive home. It's not slipping, but just the area the sound was coming from and how closely related to the use of the clutch pedal it was has me suspicious.

The clutch has between 60-120k (likely on the higher end of that range) so I know it's close to needing replacement. But if I spend the money to replace it, along with all the other "while you're in there" stuff, and the car makes the same noise after it's all back together, I'd be miserable.

I've had a sneaking suspicion it's on it's way out for a while now because the engagement point started feeling different, but a friend of mine who knows these cars well drove it recently and said it felt fine so I chocked it up to me over-worrying. Now I'm wondering if my gut feeling was right. I think I'm going to drive it tomorrow and try to diagnose it a little better, but if it's not slipping I'm not sure what I can do to really be sure. :dunno:

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
You gotta love the new Lexus RX ad poster with Jude Law.....palm trees, beaches, helicopters...I think they might be targeting the Magnum PI generation...lol
( They're all over the place here but I couldn't find an English one to post)

Attachments

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,141 Posts
I think it might rain....

Attachments

·
Needs Boost
12,109 Posts
You gotta love the new Lexus RX ad poster with Jude Law.....palm trees, beaches, helicopters...I think they might be targeting the Magnum PI generation...lol
( They're all over the place here but I couldn't find an English one to post)
Lexus has never and probably will never make or design anything that I'd want.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
ken, are you guys in any danger of flooding or evacuation?? have heard that a lot of areas in your neck of the woods are facing severe weather....:yikes:

and matt, i still have a soft spot in my heart for an is300....:eeps:yeah, it's a "boring" toyota sedan but there are a lot of go fast goodies for them that make them *soooo* much more fun!!! :D

df

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,141 Posts
We are fine. Our house is on top of a hill. If the house floods, it will be one of the last in the area to do so. It's stopped raining right now. More of it around, but much less than before. It's supposed to start up again tomorrow.

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,448 Posts
ken, are you guys in any danger of flooding or evacuation?? have heard that a lot of areas in your neck of the woods are facing severe weather....:yikes:

and matt, i still have a soft spot in my heart for an is300....:eeps:yeah, it's a "boring" toyota sedan but there are a lot of go fast goodies for them that make them *soooo* much more fun!!! :D

df
Yep, they have Supra engines which can make stupid power extremely easily. They can definitely be giant killers. And while there's no accounting for personal preferences, the Lexus ISF is kind of a cool bruiser muscle car, and the LFA is a remarkable feat of engineering prowess with an engine from the gods. Even the current day IS350 has received extremely high praise from the press for its handling abilities. I believe one review I read/watched even said that it was considerably better than the F30 BMW 3-Series, which is not very surprising, since BMW has gotten pretty soft these days.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Ever since it's conception the 3 series has been a benchmark for comparison and every now and again a reviewer will suggest a car might have trumped the 3 but realistically they're splashing in the pond....the F30, continuing the tradition has been scouping up so many awards in 4 years that it's not even news anymore...

Attachments

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,448 Posts
Eh, even the Cadillac ATS has a better chassis than the 3 Series, though. Any BMW that hasn't been touched by the M-division is pretty weaksauce right now.

·
The Canadian Prick.
12,984 Posts
We are fine. Our house is on top of a hill. If the house floods, it will be one of the last in the area to do so. It's stopped raining right now. More of it around, but much less than before. It's supposed to start up again tomorrow.
Glad to hear Ken. Have you heard from Amber?

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I am trying to install power locks in my Miata and I can't figure out the wiring. I could use a second set of eyes to see if I am missing anything. I have the red wire hook up to 12v + and the black wire hooked up to -. The kit comes with connectors for blue and green to go to the lock motors so I have them hooked up. With power to the unit I can hear relays clicking when I press the lock and unlock button, so the remotes are working. I think maybe another wire needs to be powered to send power to the motors but I have tried a bunch of them and nothing works. :dunno:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Eureka! I figured out the wiring. On the wiring diagram N.C. means normally closed and N.O. means normally open. Once I figured this out what they were doing with the relays clicked and I was able to get the motors working. :D

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,141 Posts
Glad to hear Ken. Have you heard from Amber?
Yes. She's ok. She said they were "dealing with the flooding", and weren't in danger. I know some of Hammond, LA flooded pretty badly, but not so much where she's located.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,141 Posts
She's got clutch system problems on Ashlyn, though. Just heard from her (actually CALLED instead of text!) and there is no leak, but the pedal goes to the floor. I told her master cylinder.

3741 - 3760 of 8444 Posts