Bimmerfest BMW banner

3941 - 3960 of 8444 Posts

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Hey Karl, why buy when you can build.

He had it built but it gets expensive. That HF trailer doesn't look expensive now.
A full on trailer like that to only carry four wheel seems excessive. You can get the same result with some tube steel welded in a T pattern and you won't have to deal with any registration or getting a home made trail inspected.

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
Even if you buy the HF trailer you would still need the hitch, but as Andrew showed us it ain't cheap either.

Still a lot less than buying a dedicated trailer and truck to move the car like Jake. But since you plan to keep it streetable then the small trailer makes more sense.

Hmm, I think it is possible to get a hitch custom made, but then you are maxed out in expenses for now :D

The way I justified it is having a trailer hitch custom made or even pre made might require welding, and I think it would be just as expensive and then you're left with an ugly hitch on your car all the time. The only real way to save money is to buy one of those really cheap hitches that people screw into their spare tire well but there is no way in hell I would ever consider something that shotty.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
First nice picture I was able to take of the g35. Replaced the air filter and painted the front grill black. Looks really good. Ordered h&r coilovers and hopefully installing them next weekend. Tomorrow I'm doing sparkplugs

Attachments

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
First nice picture I was able to take of the g35. Replaced the air filter and painted the front grill black. Looks really good. Ordered h&r coilovers and hopefully installing them next weekend. Tomorrow I'm doing sparkplugs

Daaaaammmmmnnnnnnnn when did you become such a baller dude!? I've always kind of liked those cars. The black grill looks good! Much approve!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I've been racking up money because I have nothing to spend before I got the car haha. It's really fun. The stock suspension is really good. It's pretty snappy and transfer weight very well. It's just a little to high up and it can always be stiffer. The engine also sounds really nice. I do want to get a somewhat louder exhaust so I can hear when I want to shift.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,115 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Uh, isn't that what the tach is for? :dunno:

If only my F150 had a tach.

And the Chevy is already demanding my attention. Got the passenger door to about 80-90% fixed.
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1459655179.905952.jpg
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1459655192.357313.jpg
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1459655201.823131.jpg
This is the before.
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1459655328.935955.jpg

Gave her two washes but still not clean enough.
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1459655354.802940.jpg
Next time I'll follow with claybar and a light polish to remove oxidation from the paint.
Went overboard it with the interior detailing.
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1459655493.599322.jpg
Also loaded off the snow plow.

Just made the first big purchase for the truck. I'll show you guys tomorrow when I pick up.

And fun times with the nephew, this is from yesterday.
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1459655544.403729.jpg

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,448 Posts
Nice! Looks great. Should be a ton of fun once you get the coilovers installed.

If only my F150 had a tach.

And the Chevy is already demanding my attention. Got the passenger door to about 80-90% fixed.
View attachment 557305
View attachment 557306
View attachment 557307
This is the before.
View attachment 557309

Gave her two washes but still not clean enough.
View attachment 557310
Next time I'll follow with claybar and a light polish to remove oxidation from the paint.
Went overboard it with the interior detailing.
View attachment 557311
Also loaded off the snow plow.

Just made the first big purchase for the truck. I'll show you guys tomorrow when I pick up.

And fun times with the nephew, this is from yesterday.
View attachment 557312
Nice progress!

----

I posted this photo of my new brakes in the other thread, but though some of you folks here might like some brake pr0n. Still need to be bedded in, but they are amazeballs already.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Karl, that's superb.

Attachments

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,115 Posts
It was FBI v Apple, and they wanted ONE phone cracked. Apple was claiming the FBI wanted a 'back door' into ALL iPhones. False.

That code cracker pictured just activates the phone. It won't open the encrypted files.

·
Needs Boost
12,109 Posts
It was FBI v Apple, and they wanted ONE phone cracked. Apple was claiming the FBI wanted a 'back door' into ALL iPhones. False.

That code cracker pictured just activates the phone. It won't open the encrypted files.
This. I'm extremely unhappy with how this played out. Apple wouldn't help the FBI unlock a TERRORISTS phone. Absolutely rediculous. There's no way that would've opened some huge door for them to access all iphones, just people of this generation being paranoid and offended by everything.

And karl, you need a build thread.

·
Registered
12,706 Posts

This. I'm extremely unhappy with how this played out. Apple wouldn't help the FBI unlock a TERRORISTS phone. Absolutely rediculous. There's no way that would've opened some huge door for them to access all iphones, just people of this generation being paranoid and offended by everything.
Like anything else reported today, there's more to the story. At the same time the feud between Apple and the FBI was being played out in the media, what was only lightly reported is that there was legislation in process in multiple states that would have prohibited the sale of any smart phone that didn't include a back door around any encryption/security, and access to that back door had to be made available to both law enforcement and service providers. NY state was farthest along in the process (copy of proposed legislation). This would have expanded the access knowledge from a few key trusted employees at the manufacturer to literally thousands of individuals with far less motivation to keep it secure.

There was good reason for Apple to be paranoid about the FBI/Federal Government wanting them to create a back door in their operating system, because the FBI didn't need it to get access to the data in the phone. All they had to do was remove the flash memory chips and use standard encryption breaking methods already in the Governments possession. Instead of using this standard and proven approach, they were trying to go further down the road that the states had already started and create a Federal mandate for back door access through the operating system. When it became apparent that the FBI wasn't going to get a quick judicial victory on this, they went to the tried and true and retrieved the data. They backed away because they didn't want a legal ruling issued siding with Apple, which would make it more difficult to pursue this in the future, since the burden to overturn a ruling is much greater than the effort to obtain an initial ruling.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

And karl, you need a build thread.

If they do it once who's to say the FBI won't come back for more and more. In the end it'll cost money to Apple to run this "service" for the FBI.

·
Needs Boost
12,109 Posts
Like anything else reported today, there's more to the story. At the same time the feud between Apple and the FBI was being played out in the media, what was only lightly reported is that there was legislation in process in multiple states that would have prohibited the sale of any smart phone that didn't include a back door around any encryption/security, and access to that back door had to be made available to both law enforcement and service providers. NY state was farthest along in the process (copy of proposed legislation). This would have expanded the access knowledge from a few key trusted employees at the manufacturer to literally thousands of individuals with far less motivation to keep it secure.

There was good reason for Apple to be paranoid about the FBI/Federal Government wanting them to create a back door in their operating system, because the FBI didn't need it to get access to the data in the phone. All they had to do was remove the flash memory chips and use standard encryption breaking methods already in the Governments possession. Instead of using this standard and proven approach, they were trying to go further down the road that the states had already started and create a Federal mandate for back door access through the operating system. When it became apparent that the FBI wasn't going to get a quick judicial victory on this, they went to the tried and true and retrieved the data. They backed away because they didn't want a legal ruling issued siding with Apple, which would make it more difficult to pursue this in the future, since the burden to overturn a ruling is much greater than the effort to obtain an initial ruling.
Good info. Where did you source it? I'd like to read more.
If they do it once who's to say the FBI won't come back for more and more. In the end it'll cost money to Apple to run this "service" for the FBI.
If the government needs to access terrorists cell phones on multiple occasions they should be able to come back for more.

I just don't understand the paranoia. I mean, what do normal people hide on their phones for which the government would incriminate them?

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
^^^ I guess that most people will have fears that the authorities will simply have a "carte blanche" to look into our phones with NO real reason...

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
On the 23 I'm doing an event called Gripfest in North Carolina. Seems pretty fun, it's a combination of road course and autocross. Can't wait to push the g35 hard

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
WTF winter. It's spring now.

Attachments

3941 - 3960 of 8444 Posts