Bimmerfest BMW banner

3961 - 3980 of 8444 Posts

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
Good info. Where did you source it? I'd like to read more.

If the government needs to access terrorists cell phones on multiple occasions they should be able to come back for more.

I just don't understand the paranoia. I mean, what do normal people hide on their phones for which the government would incriminate them?
Do a Google search on the terms "smartphone encryption backdoor legislation" and you'll get plenty of hits. Some will be the truly paranoid crowd but there are also a number of articles from main stream media. Here's a link to an article from Wired.

http://www.wired.com/2016/01/proposed-state-bans-on-phone-encryption-make-zero-sense/

I'll be the first to state that from having attempted two different projects with Apple over the years that they are probably more paranoid than most corporations, but on this topic it's not totally unfounded once you see all the facets that are in play.

·
Ambitious But Rubbish
1,231 Posts
I love the concealed hitch arrangement on his 964. Very cool. But yeah, his trailer is cool and all, but he spent $2-3k on it, which is far more than I feel is necessary to spend for such a thing.
Hah, if you're going to spend $2-3k for a trailer, you ought to be buying one that can haul the whole car.

I bought my 10-year-old EconoTrailer with new tires, brakes, all-LED lighting, and toolbox/straps/spares for $2500.

The big reason to do a small tire trailer is "cheap" - if you can't do it for $500 or less, the logic starts to slip IMO.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
i agree with trailering the vehicle.

1, you can manage to haul just about everything necessary in said trailer, and,

2, you already have a ride home so you can beat the snot outta the car and not have that monkey on your back while racing...:angel:

but that's me....:eeps:

df

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,448 Posts
A truck & trailer would be nice, but is pretty much impossible with my living situation. It would only get used a few times per month from May through September, and I also don't have a garage, driveway, or anywhere else besides the street to store vehicles. So I'm stuck driving the E36 to & from the track. Mini trailer is the way to go for me. Plus, my car definitely is not hardcore enough to warrant a dedicated tow rig. People would laugh at me... :rofl:

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
It was FBI v Apple, and they wanted ONE phone cracked. Apple was claiming the FBI wanted a 'back door' into ALL iPhones. False.

That code cracker pictured just activates the phone. It won't open the encrypted files.
I'm not sure what you mean by "activate" but in the case of San Bernadino, all they wanted was to unlock the phone, which would have given them access to the data right? While it is true that they just wanted this done for 1 phone, the legal precedent that they fought is significant and in a way I'm glad they fought the government on this even if it is just motivated by the risk of losing customers.

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
This. I'm extremely unhappy with how this played out. Apple wouldn't help the FBI unlock a TERRORISTS phone. Absolutely rediculous. There's no way that would've opened some huge door for them to access all iphones, just people of this generation being paranoid and offended by everything.
You're right, people are very paranoid, especially when it comes to the idea of the government spying on them. :eeps: This should sound familiar to you.

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
A truck & trailer would be nice, but is pretty much impossible with my living situation. It would only get used a few times per month from May through September, and I also don't have a garage, driveway, or anywhere else besides the street to store vehicles. So I'm stuck driving the E36 to & from the track. Mini trailer is the way to go for me. Plus, my car definitely is not hardcore enough to warrant a dedicated tow rig. People would laugh at me... :rofl:
:rofl: That's funny. But I see no reason why anyone would have to spend $3000 on a trailer just to hold 4 wheels. At that rate you might as well just rent a Uhaul trailer for $15 a pop for 200 track days. Mind you that would certainly get you some raughs haha.

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
On the 23 I'm doing an event called Gripfest in North Carolina. Seems pretty fun, it's a combination of road course and autocross. Can't wait to push the g35 hard
NICE!!! That isn't too far from me! I would love to register but I am very hesitant because I'm not sure what will be going down for me on the 23rd. My car might be getting paint, or it may already be done by then, no idea, I'm at the mercy of the body shop right now, and it looks like I only have 9 days before registration closes assuming it doesn't fill up before then. :(

·
Needs Boost
12,109 Posts
You're right, people are very paranoid, especially when it comes to the idea of the government spying on them. :eeps: This should sound familiar to you.
So you'd rather limit investigation options on a terrorist because you're afraid the government is going to spy on you for no reason and only if you have an iphone?

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
So you'd rather limit investigation options on a terrorist because you're afraid the government is going to spy on you for no reason and only if you have an iphone?
Not sure where you got "only if you have an iPhone". And no I'm not paranoid about the government spying on me, I was just pointing out hypocrisy I'm seeing becauae conservatives have a history of this kind of paranoia and criticism. What worries me is the legal precedent that is set by agreeing to comply with the government. Im a big believer in people's rights to privacy and I think this would just be the beginning of a much larger problem, legally not so much technologically, which is being focused on too much here. Come on man, what happened to smaller government and less regulation and free market, I'm all for it.

·
Needs Boost
12,109 Posts
Not sure where you got "only if you have an iPhone". And no I'm not paranoid about the government spying on me, I was just pointing out hypocrisy I'm seeing becauae conservatives have a history of this kind of paranoia and criticism. What worries me is the legal precedent that is set by agreeing to comply with the government. Im a big believer in people's rights to privacy and I think this would just be the beginning of a much larger problem, legally not so much technologically, which is being focused on too much here. Come on man, what happened to smaller government and less regulation and free market, I'm all for it.
How do you know I'm a conservative? So you're saying I'm a hypocrite based on actions of other people who have little to no connection to me? Hrm

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
How do you know I'm a conservative? So you're saying I'm a hypocrite based on actions of other people who have little to no connection to me? Hrm
Sorry, I thought it was obvious, I could be wrong. Maybe you don't believe in smaller goverment and less regulation and free market. I'll retract my comment on hypocrisy.

·
Needs Boost
12,109 Posts
Sorry, I thought it was obvious, I could be wrong. Maybe you don't believe in smaller goverment and less regulation and free market. I'll retract my comment on hypocrisy.
I mean I lean to the conservative side, but I agree on many things from both parties, which is frustrating because there are only two parties.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
My little brother Boo just committed to buy his first car. It's a manual 92 318is. I will post full details on Friday when we pick it up, but here is the high light of the car. It has a factory car phone. So cool.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Nice

Will your bro join the forum as well?
Probably not. It is not his style and he won't need to look anything up with me around.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
NICE!!! That isn't too far from me! I would love to register but I am very hesitant because I'm not sure what will be going down for me on the 23rd. My car might be getting paint, or it may already be done by then, no idea, I'm at the mercy of the body shop right now, and it looks like I only have 9 days before registration closes assuming it doesn't fill up before then. :(
That would be pretty cool if you did it! Hopefully everything goes well

3961 - 3980 of 8444 Posts