Bimmerfest BMW banner

4201 - 4220 of 8444 Posts

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
Ya I saw that too, and saw pictures of the side skirts off the car, from what I can see there is no hardware or design for any kind of "folding" action. Perhaps this is something lost in translation, and it is just referring to the fact that the bottom lip of the side skirt looks like it folds up.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I think I'm going to get my rims powder coated soon since they have wierd dark spots on them. (Common problem with these rims) I was thinking shiny dark gunmetal grey or maybe a darker gold/bronze color. What do you guys would look good?

Attachments

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
I think I'm going to get my rims powder coated soon since they have wierd dark spots on them. (Common problem with these rims) I was thinking shiny dark gunmetal grey or maybe a darker gold/bronze color. What do you guys would look good?
Coat them in sex, wheels always look good coated in sex. :thumbup:

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,448 Posts
I think gunmetal would look pretty good. Gold/bronze wouldn't look bad, but would be kinda meh, IMO.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Ya I saw that too, and saw pictures of the side skirts off the car, from what I can see there is no hardware or design for any kind of "folding" action. Perhaps this is something lost in translation, and it is just referring to the fact that the bottom lip of the side skirt looks like it folds up.
Andrew I emailed the company today and apparently the fold they're referring to is the "fold up design" at the rear end of the side skirts, in front of the rear wheel, they sent me some more detailed pictures.... (I also added a pic of other work they do)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I love these new Koni shocks that is all.

It's awesome what brand new shocks/struts all around will do for the car both in handling and bringing some comfort back.

Should have done it since the beginning but no time/money for first time but there is always time/money to do it a second time.

That's why I'm taking my time with the 5 speed swap lol. I have everything parts wise but replacing some stuff too so I don't have to get under there anytime soon.

Hey guys are the E36 valve cover nuts TTY or reusable? I have a small oil leak on top of the VANOS cover.

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,448 Posts
Hey guys are the E36 valve cover nuts TTY or reusable? I have a small oil leak on top of the VANOS cover.
They're reusable, but the rubber seals which go around them should be replaced to prevent leaks. Also, when replacing the valve cover gasket, I highly recommend using a torque wrench. The nuts get tightened down to 89 INCH-pounds, and the studs are very easy to strip. Fortunately, if you do strip a stud, they are easily replaced (even without having to take off the valve cover).

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
They're reusable, but the rubber seals which go around them should be replaced to prevent leaks. Also, when replacing the valve cover gasket, I highly recommend using a torque wrench. The nuts get tightened down to 89 INCH-pounds, and the studs are very easy to strip. Fortunately, if you do strip a stud, they are easily replaced (even without having to take off the valve cover).
89 INCH-pounds ---> 10 Nm

I have torque wrench. I don't remember if I used the HF or Craftsman torque wrench. Not that the HF is bad but the Craftsman has digital display and can set a more exact torque.

I used a Victor Reinz gasket, which I read somewhere that for some people it leaked again. I have a new one and I know that I did put sealant as per Pelican's tutorial recommendation.

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
89 INCH-pounds ---> 10 Nm

I have torque wrench. I don't remember if I used the HF or Craftsman torque wrench. Not that the HF is bad but the Craftsman has digital display and can set a more exact torque.
QUOTE]

Just be careful using a foot pound wrench to tighten to inch pound specs. The higher force torque wrenches tend to be more accurate toward the top end of their scale and less (sometimes much less) at the low end.

·
Needs Boost
12,109 Posts
Alright, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm a little confused when trying to join a SCCA chapter.

I see there are BMW specific ones, and also multiple non BMW ones in my area.

Which should I be joining? The BMW one in my area only has 1 Auto x for the whole year, which seems lame. The non bmw one has 4 which still seems low.

Am I missing something?

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
Alright, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm a little confused when trying to join a SCCA chapter.

Which should I be joining? The BMW one in my area only has 1 Auto x for the whole year, which seems lame. The non bmw one has 4 which still seems low.

Am I missing something?
As far as I know you don't join any specific SCCA chapter, that sounds more like bmwcca, I just went to SCCA's website and became a member, then I go to whatever SCCA autocross I want to get the discount for being an SCCA member. However that is pretty cool you have BMW specific SCCA auto-x in your area, I've never heard of that.

·
#butstuff2k16
342 Posts

Am I missing something?
There shouldn't be any BMW specific SCCA chapters. SCCA chapters should just vary by region.

Either way, it shouldn't matter which you join. I'm part of Northern NJ region SCCA, but I compete in St. Louis SCCA, Philly SSCA and South Jersey SCCA. I still pay the SCCA member prices for the events.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,141 Posts
Yes, but..... it's not advisable. Why risk it?

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,141 Posts
In Franklyn's defense, he just asked. He didn't say he intended on doing that. I didn't mean to sound like I was jumping him about it.

4201 - 4220 of 8444 Posts