Bimmerfest BMW banner

4221 - 4240 of 8444 Posts

·
Hellawut??
14,546 Posts
I was just thinking because there isn't a day that goes by when I don't drive it. I thought you had to let the rtv set for 24 hours and that's just not possible. Without the rtv I thought it was crazy also. Id think you get leaks immediatly. and the video I watched looked sponsered so I thought either missing a critical step on video, or not doing it at all was risky.

Is there quick set rtv?

M52 valve cover is plastic so it can get hydrodipped right?

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
Alright, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm a little confused when trying to join a SCCA chapter.

I see there are BMW specific ones, and also multiple non BMW ones in my area.

Which should I be joining? The BMW one in my area only has 1 Auto x for the whole year, which seems lame. The non bmw one has 4 which still seems low.

Am I missing something?
Sounds like you're mixing BMWCCA and SCCA. You just join SCCA. They'll list the region you're in but it's a national membership. The region where you live will be listed on your membership card. Don't know exactly where you are in PA, but the Central PA region has a dozen AutoX events planned plus a couple test & tune events.

For BMWCCA, it's also a national membership, but you're also joining a local chapter.

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
I was just thinking because there isn't a day that goes by when I don't drive it. I thought you had to let the rtv set for 24 hours and that's just not possible. Without the rtv I thought it was crazy also. Id think you get leaks immediatly. and the video I watched looked sponsered so I thought either missing a critical step on video, or not doing it at all was risky.

Is there quick set rtv?

M52 valve cover is plastic so it can get hydrodipped right?
If you use the Permatex Ultra Black you're good to go in about an hour. It reaches a 90% cure by then and full cure in 24 hours. There's not a lot of stress on it for the VCG sealing.

If you're referencing hydro printing for the valve cover, you can do virtually any material that will accept paint.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,145 Posts

·
The Canadian Prick.
12,984 Posts

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
Wow! Hadn't seen that or heard anything about it on the news! I just sent a text to Ed to see if he's OK.

Don't be surprised lol... I just happen to still listen to the CBC.

·
Needs Boost
12,109 Posts
Sounds like you're mixing BMWCCA and SCCA. You just join SCCA. They'll list the region you're in but it's a national membership. The region where you live will be listed on your membership card. Don't know exactly where you are in PA, but the Central PA region has a dozen AutoX events planned plus a couple test & tune events.

For BMWCCA, it's also a national membership, but you're also joining a local chapter.
Just joined. Looks like I'm the susquehanna regional.

Am I to be looking at the SOLO autocross?

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
Just joined. Looks like I'm the susquehanna regional.

Am I to be looking at the SOLO autocross?
Yessir! I have to say it would be very interesting to watch you tame that beast into something like auto-x, but maybe it isn't as throttle happy as I imagine it to be. Here is the fun part, you get to register as a beginner, and you may come home with a 1st place fridge magnet!

·
Needs Boost
12,109 Posts
Yessir! I have to say it would be very interesting to watch you tame that beast into something like auto-x, but maybe it isn't as throttle happy as I imagine it to be. Here is the fun part, you get to register as a beginner, and you may come home with a 1st place fridge magnet!
I'll have it on the lowest boost setting and I'll probably keep the rpms down.

Or I'll just go all out and it'll be a drift sh!t show.

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
I'll have it on the lowest boost setting and I'll probably keep the rpms down.

Or I'll just go all out and it'll be a drift sh!t show.
Haha don't do that, you'll be kicked out in no time.

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
That's what I used and drove the car weeks after that. And still had leak, like Matt says, it's an E36 it'll leak regardless :D
I don't know, in my younger years when I had the '95 I had to get the valve cover gasket replaced, I took it to the GM dealership I was working at, at the time and it was a 1 hour job, that a guy did in less than an hour, I didn't watch him to see what he did or anything, but it was perfectly fine after and didn't leak. I haven't had to do a valve cover gasket on the 328 yet.

4221 - 4240 of 8444 Posts