Bimmerfest BMW banner

4441 - 4460 of 8444 Posts

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I manged to install the belt after work with the tools I keep in the car. When I took off the intake I actually found the old belt. It had manged to turn its self inside out and get stuck under the timing belt cover. I think all the belt dust might just be from rubbing the crank after it fell off. Also it turns out I have a coolant leak. The whole front of the engine was covered in a mix of belt dust and coolant. I will have to clean everything up to figure out where the coolant is coming from. I checked both the water pump and alternator and they both spin fine. I could not find any obvious spot the belt was rubbing, so I don't know why the old belt failed :dunno:. However for now the car is up and running again.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
These are very rare, saw it earlier. On delivery plates, just arrived from UK. They're about 20 years old now, but some say it's the nicest of the 911's and being the last air cooled, definitely the most menacing sounding...

Attachments

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,448 Posts
Yeah, the Porsche 993/911 is great. Not what I'd call rare, but certainly coveted. And they do sound absolutely fantastic.

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
The Masters degree is so that there is some evidence you can string together enough coherent sentences to generate a useful activity or other type of report. Most Masters degrees require a thesis and to get your thesis approved by the review committee (typically PhD professors) it has to be acceptably written.

One can actually graduate from college with a Bachelor's degree and not be able to write worth crap. I've seen it with literally hundreds of job applicants.

And I have literally seen it with ALL of my friends who now have science PhD's. Also there is often an alternative to writing a thesis.

A well written cover letter, and some semi supervised interviews/tests would be a far more accurate way of assessing writing abilities. I'm sticking with my first answer on this one, and I don't necessarily blame them for doing it. They would otherwise get a S--T ton of applicants.

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,448 Posts
At work, I'm in the middle of reviewing cover letters and resumes for a research assistant position that will be working under me. It's fairly startling how badly some people with Bachelor's degrees write. But then again, plenty of Master's level people are also lacking, but the quality does tend to be much higher overall. In general, I think the younger generations (including my own) tend to be pretty poor writers.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
i hear ya,karl...:tsk:

in other news,....just got a bottle of 10year old laphroaig

rather tasty, and i think it'll be a staple in the df libation library....:D

df

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Installed new sway bars on the G. Handles amazingly with the front at its stiffest and rear at its least. With the rear at its stiffest it kicks out way to easy. Next will be new pads and rotors and then tires. After I'm done with all of that I'm gonna do another track day!

·
Jesse Moon Bayne
8,245 Posts
Had a great time with the wife this weekend! Went to dc for the weekend. Also picked these mint e46 m3 seats up for the e36 while was there for $600. Threw them in upside down in rear seat of e46 lol. ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1464570581.633591.jpg ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1464570591.044321.jpg ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1464570598.878631.jpg

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
Had a great time with the wife this weekend! Went to dc for the weekend. Also picked these mint e46 m3 seats up for the e36 while was there for $600. Threw them in upside down in rear seat of e46 lol. View attachment 565154 View attachment 565155 View attachment 565156
Haha that's funny, I was in DC this weekend too. Nice seats, you'll have to do something to the rails to get those to fit won't you? Also have you already sold your old seats?

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
Haha so true!

So I just did this, and it looks great except for the fact that it is crooked. Oh well, I got another one coming in the mail, and I'm just going to get it laser cut this time. Also adding rear head rests, and recovering in alcantara leather.

ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1464664937.818890.jpg

·
Jesse Moon Bayne
8,245 Posts
Haha that's funny, I was in DC this weekend too. Nice seats, you'll have to do something to the rails to get those to fit won't you? Also have you already sold your old seats?

That's crazy! DC was packed with motorcycles this weekend. Yeah you have the modify the holes a tad to make them fit. I did sell my Vaders, guy paid but picking up around 6/13.

·
Jesse Moon Bayne
8,245 Posts
Haha so true!

So I just did this, and it looks great except for the fact that it is crooked. Oh well, I got another one coming in the mail, and I'm just going to get it laser cut this time. Also adding rear head rests, and recovering in alcantara leather.

View attachment 565281

Nice! I added rear headrest to my e36 also.

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
Reader warning - This is not about E36s.

Worked all weekend on the Tacoma. It's had a driveline vibration for several years now that starts above 65 mph. It rarely sees the highway so it's just been ignored, but a couple weeks ago I verified it's a bad CSB. I was going to do the job a couple weekends ago, but the hardware on the drive shaft flanges is 14mm 30 pitch threaded and torqued to a kazillion foot lbs. They're in a pocket so you can't get a socket on them and only a box end wrench fits. I finally found a wrench with enough shank at Northern tool so I planned the job for Saturday. Got the drive shaft off in about an hour and got the new CSB on it in about 20 minutes. This was what I thought was going to be the hard part because everything I'd seen indicated the CSB was pressed onto the shaft. Turns out it's just a slip fit, and I think everyone that's posted previously in the Taco forums was just dealing with the race being corroded to the drive shaft.
While it was off I checked the 4 U joints and the one at the tranny was a bit rough so since I already had the shaft off, I decided to just do all 4. Got the U-joints from Advance (Moog) so thought I was all set. Took a bit to get the right set up to pound out the first joint and there was a tiny bit of corrosion there that I had to break through before it pushed out. Went to the other end of the shaft and couldn't get the same type joint (internal lock ring) to budge. Beat on it, heated it, PB blasted, bought the Harbor Freight 12K lb A frame press and pressed to where I thought I might break something, no luck. Decided to set it aside for the rest of the day. First thing Sunday I started working on it again and then realized there was a lock ring I'd missed that was hidden in some gunk. :cry: Lock ring off, old U-joint out, new joint in, just the two at the middle that make up the CV joint to go, and they're external lock type. Should be straight forward.
Got them both out no issues. Put the first new one in and press the caps flush with the vise, then tap the one in a bit further and put in the lock ring. Turn the shaft over to put the lock ring in on the other side but the lock ring groove is blocked. Press the cap in as far as it will go, but still can't get the lock ring groove fully exposed. Press in really hard to the point where the joint is essentially frozen, still can't see the full lock ring groove. Measure the old U-joint vs. a new one and the new ones are 0.045 bigger across the "+" than the OEM. Back to the parts store. Try virtually every U-Joint they have that should fit and all are 0.045 too big. Check with Autozone, same thing, and again same at NAPA.
Ok, sigh, going to have to bite the bullet and go to the Toyota dealer on this one. Turns out they don't sell the two center joints separately, you have to buy the whole rear drive shaft assembly! :mad:
Found a Dorman complete drive shaft assembly on line for $605, but the one reviewer stated "piece of crap, CSB on it only last 5 months". I initially decided to take a chance and ordered it yesterday evening. This morning, with thoughts of experiences with cheap E36 control arms in mind, I cancelled the order.
After much searching on line found the Toyota Dealer in Lakeland that listed it at only a high price ($800) compared to the local dealers (we have 3 here) outrageous prices ($1,300). Part ordered and will be there tomorrow for pick up.
At least I only sunk about $40 in parts into the existing drive shaft..... :(

4441 - 4460 of 8444 Posts