Bimmerfest BMW banner

7161 - 7180 of 8444 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Wow I'm speechless, and I thought I had big issues (not sarcasm/joking).
While I never personally met Amber I get she was a great person from you guys.

Depression is never a joke or easy on whoever is going thru it, I should know. A few years ago I was undergoing a depression phase (and I was doing it alone, no one knew) until I met my now ex, when I met her I found a new sense and joy in life and was able to finally get out of it. There is nothing scarier than the thought of ending your own life luckily I never had the balls to make any attempt.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,121 Posts
Remembering Amber, the "Official Queen of E36 OT"

I'd bought a set of wheels on Craigslist in Biloxi, and when I found out Amber lived there (back then) I PMed her through Bimmerfest and asked her if she wanted to meet me for lunch. We ate at Shady's, a multi-cultural restaurant she loved. She talked this country boy into trying Pad Thai Chicken. From that day until now she and I were close. I made many trips to Hammond, LA and she made many trip to Silverhill where we worked on cars, usually her replica M3. The E30 I own was originally hers, bought from a neighbor of mine. She got it home and realized it was more of a project than she could afford or handle. She sold it to my friend Eddie, and I bought it from him. It's a piece of her history that I treasure.

I couldn't have been more humbled and proud when she asked me to "give her away" when she and Sean were to be married in November. She'd been calling me "Dad" for a while. This dad is heartsick that I couldn't keep her from doing the unthinkable. If only she'd reached out like she had in the past. :cry:

Amber was one of the most camera-shy people I ever met. This was the day I met Amber in Biloxi, February 3, 2010. Why she let me take this picture, I don't know. It was almost impossible to get her to sit still for a photo, let alone pose, but here she is, mischievous-looking as ever, posing by her E36, "Ashlyn"...with the oddball wheel combination. She was waiting for the SSR wheels to come from Japan.

Rest in peace, my 'adopted' daughter. I will miss you so much.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
This dad is heartsick that I couldn't keep her from doing the unthinkable. If only she'd reached out like she had in the past. :cry:
Ken, you can't beat yourself up on this. Depression is like a form of cancer of the soul. It comes in many forms and often without outward symptoms. The voice in a person's head that's telling them to do this can come at times of their worst sorrow or their greatest joy. Just take heart in the times that she did reach out and you were able to make an impact.

·
The Canadian Prick.
12,984 Posts

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,121 Posts
Amber's mom, Missy told me that they will be holding a memorial service for her next weekend. I'll post a time and location when it's decided.

·
The Canadian Prick.
12,984 Posts
Amber's mom, Missy told me that they will be holding a memorial service for her next weekend. I'll post a time and location when it's decided.
Thank you Ken.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,121 Posts
Memorial service for Amber will be next Sunday, August 27, at the Unitarian Universalist Church in Lacombe, Louisiana at 1:30 PM.

·
Registered
2 Posts
dipstick tube differant

i just got done rebuilding m50tu using head off of e34 parts car all is well except the fact that someone stole my e36 dipstick tube during the process......i tried to use the e34 dipstick tube but it just does not seal is it different from e36?? other than oil all over driveway all is well all the new performance goodies work great no vacume leaks she just purrs but obviously other than starting it not much happening while leaking oil just sitting there...please help

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,121 Posts
You need the tube from an E36. Part number 11431735276. The one from the E34 won't work, and can't be made to work.

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,448 Posts
Well, I made some good progress on the GTO while visiting home in Michigan last week. Replaced the water pump, thermostat, fan clutch, hoses, installed a fan shroud (didn't have one previously), and flushed the cooling system. It now runs much cooler. The master cylinder is totally pooched, so it has zero braking ability at the moment. But I got it running pretty decently after not having been started for years. The exhaust system is totally falling apart, which is why it doesn't sound rest great. But hey, it runs!

https://youtu.be/08eRuif1EAU

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,121 Posts
If that needs restoring, my cars need scrapping. Holy cow.

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,448 Posts
It looks waaaay nicer in photos than it is in real life. It has significant rust in the following areas:

- Around front windscreen
- At base of rear windscreen
- Bottom of the doors
- Front floorboards
- Trunk pan
- Rear quarter panels behind wheel openings

Also has some minor accident damage to the passenger rear corner near the taillight that was very poorly repaired with body filler that is now cracking and falling apart. So yeah, the photo is hiding a lot of secrets. I was relieved to find that it doesn't have more rust than it does, though.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,121 Posts
Your tic list sounds just like my 635. Rust in the same spots, and it's really bad around the front and rear windscreens. I mean holes. :( I'm seriously considering parting it out, since I have neither the skills nor finances to restore it.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,121 Posts
I'm back from Amber's memorial service. It was nice, very touching. I was honored to be able to speak there, along with her fiancé Sean, her mom Missy, and several of her friends. There were a lot of people there, which was nice for Missy. She and Sean were naturally very emotional (I was, too....I just about lost it once) but they were able to tell some wonderful stories about Amber, from childhood to just recently.

They still are at a loss to understand what turned her from the elated and excited mood she had been in anticipating her wedding, to taking her own life. Whatever it was, it happened really fast. They had no warning, and as far as I know she left no note. So sad. :cry:

·
I like pie.
3,710 Posts
I didn't know her particularly well, but it was still pretty surreal to hear about Amber. Hope her family is doing well.

On a happier note, I just left a pick n pull yard in Mass with an armrest console, a cargo cover, a pair of roof rack cross bars, a radio, and a 6 speed tranny for my E46 all for $250:banana:

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
On a happier note, I just left a pick n pull yard in Mass with an armrest console, a cargo cover, a pair of roof rack cross bars, a radio, and a 6 speed tranny for my E46 all for $250:banana:
Lucky you. I would have gladly paid that just for the tranny.

7161 - 7180 of 8444 Posts