Bimmerfest BMW banner

1001 - 1020 of 8444 Posts

·
Registered
12,712 Posts
Oh NOOOOO! I'm so sorry! :cry:

Dang, that's how many E36s in the last year or so just from our group here? And it seems like most have been well sorted and special cars. Bummer.
Mine, Jose's, Andrew's, and Franklyn's from what I remember.........:(

And now Jay's.....

·
Needs Boost
12,111 Posts
What didn't break? :eeps:

Clutch slave AND master, right side CV joint, t-case is leaking, left rear shock rattled loose, and the front right shock SNAPPED IN TWO.

Of course, in comparison to the Rover, he called Autozone for parts and discovered the clutch master is $11, the clutch slave is $13, and a new Monroe shock is $25.99. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

In comparison, just before the trip I spent $9 on a tiny plain piece of metal the size of my wedding ring to space the CV on my axle. :rolleyes:

Joey, Matt, and some of the others here with a bunch of love or money dumped into their cars should really be keeping them under lock and key. :yikes:
Hence why it's rarely driven.

However if it ever gets totalled the power train is getting swapped into an E30 M3.

·
Come at ///M3
1,156 Posts
Damn Jay, that's a bummer. How did it happen?
Driving some twisty roads in coal country PA. Went to pass a car on a downhill section of road because they were going slow. I popped out into the left lane and saw an oncoming truck so I slammed on the brakes and turned right to get back into the right lane. Brakes locked up and I slid right into the truck and guardrail.

It was completely my fault, I was driving too fast for the situation.

If the ABS kicked in like it should we wouldn't be having this conversation. But I've been having issues with the ABS since I've had the car. There was no indication that the ABS was off before I locked up but there was rumble strips on the yellow line and those set the ABS off on the car like crazy whenever I go over them. However its not the car's fault, its completely mine.

Its a really ****ty situation, one I'll regret forever but I cannot go back in time. I'm just glad nobody got hurt. I'll get another E36 sooner or later.

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
Not in a million years. There's really very little that is special about the E36 M3 LTW.

I would just buy one so I could put the strut brace on my car :)

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Damn Jay, that sucks big time. Your car was awesome.

Would it be wrong to call dibs on the seats.

Too soon, my bad.

Jk, cheer up, I'm glad to hear you're ok. And thanks for letting me test them at BFE.

Well its been almost two years since my fender bender too. Mine is not as well sorted as I wish but still hurts. In fact who here (with a well running E36) hasn't got into a incident.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Driving some twisty roads in coal country PA. Went to pass a car on a downhill section of road because they were going slow. I popped out into the left lane and saw an oncoming truck so I slammed on the brakes and turned right to get back into the right lane. Brakes locked up and I slid right into the truck and guardrail.

It was completely my fault, I was driving too fast for the situation.

If the ABS kicked in like it should we wouldn't be having this conversation. But I've been having issues with the ABS since I've had the car. There was no indication that the ABS was off before I locked up but there was rumble strips on the yellow line and those set the ABS off on the car like crazy whenever I go over them. However its not the car's fault, its completely mine.

Its a really ****ty situation, one I'll regret forever but I cannot go back in time. I'm just glad nobody got hurt. I'll get another E36 sooner or later.
That really sucks dude. I am glad you are alright. That right there is the reason ABS is the one electric nanny I actually like. In a panic situation like that you never have the presence of mind to threshold brake. You are a far more skilled driver than I am and even you locked the brakes.

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
That really sucks Jay, I know the feeling all too well, well actually not exactly, I'm 29 and on my 3rd car, lost my first one (e30) love of my life due to running off the road and into limestone, loose gravel on twisty roads, wasn't going too fast, just an accident that someone else managed to find themselves in the very next weekend. Lost my 2nd one (e36) due to rust being spotted after a minor fender bender. My current one is the one I've put the most into and I almost lost it several months ago due to a jackass dropping a 32" ladder on the road, but ultimately it was my fault because I ran into the back of someone. And to make it worse my insurance screwed up and never put collision on my policy. In my case I blamed it all on my ABS, wasn't impressed with my stopping distance one bit. It is costing me a lot to fix it, but I wasn't about to let everything go. I got lucky.

I didn't mean to make this post all about me, it is just a long way of me saying I feel for you Jay. It isn't healthy to get attached to cars the way we do (or at least I do) but it happens, and it's hard for it not to happen when you aren't just simply throwing money at something but actually putting sweat and sometimes blood into it as well. My guess though is you'll find something else you love even more. We are all sincerely happy you're alive to tell us about it. Keep your head up Jay.

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
Update on my car...

I've got the metal bumper mounted and rad support mounted lol... I know not a lot of progress but I am taking my time because that's just how I am. Also I am essentially repairing 2 accidents, one from me, and then the dumb **** fixes from a previous owner's accident. So I had to find another passenger side bumper shock because I found my passenger side bumper shock mounted to the driver side with the tow hook hole sawed off because as you know the metal bumper doesn't have a hole for it on that side. The first one I got from the scrap yard I realized when I mounted it that the carrier for the shock was tweaked really bad and it wouldn't even line up to bolt on to the bumper. I found another one so that is done. And btw Don your idea of lifting the front end of my car totally worked to bring those 2 tubes a bit closer together which let the cross brace slide on, and I kept it in the air until the bumper was mounted.

The radiator and condenser were both bent up from a previous accident, even though they weren't leaking I'm replacing them. Forked out the money for a new BMW condenser and got another rad used for free from a friend. Still waiting for the condenser, then I have to figure out how to put all this plastic **** in which was also gone from the previous owner.

Still need to find a better hood, the one I found will do for now, and I still need the driver side headlight, fog lights, and side markers.

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
Also the main reason I haven't got a lot done is I've been fixing everyone else's car. I forgot to replace the orifice tube in my uncles car after replacing his whole AC minus an evap core and condenser. Easily the most difficult thing I've ever done, Mercury Sable in case you're wondering. So now I have to bring it back, get it evacuated, and find this stupid tube. Which makes me curious, does the E3) have an expansion valve or an orifice tube? And where is it? I think it would be a good thing for me to check while I have mine already evacuated.

Spent this last weekend helping my cousin with his Z4. Starter was fried, luckily it is much easier on a Z4 than it is on our cars. Which brings me to the dumbest thing I've ever had the pleasure of doing... His battery died as I was driving his car on the interstate on the way home from a baseball game. I thought it was a strange coincidence but he wanted his car fixed badly. So the next day we retrieved his car and replaced the alternator, guess what, still wasn't making voltage. So I scratched my head and decided to make sure the positive cable was for sure connected to the alternator and I unscrewed the bolt holding it on, and just for ****s and giggles I decided to pull on it, and sure enough, the cable pulled right out lmao...

Yes that's right, I had no idea due to to poor visibility of the starter that when I disconnected the positive cable from the starter I had also pulled off the jumper cable that goes to the alternator. So we put his old alternator back and returned the new one, such a waste of time lol...

Also Don, I can confirm some things now. A 2004 Z4 3.0i will crank if the battery is low or even close to dead. Also even with his key that is dead, it still starts the car.

·
Ambitious But Rubbish
1,231 Posts
it's a 97 vert with a 4 cylinder/5 speed
I always wondered how scary slow the 4-cylinder convertibles were. Particularly in automatic guise. Given my 328iC isn't exactly "sprightly"...

Should be a fun car though, I'm excited to see pix!

·
Ambitious But Rubbish
1,231 Posts
Thanks guys. We really do pour our hearts into our cars. Just sucks that in a flash they can be taken away. Its a risk inherent in the hobby unfortunately.
Indeed. Was really bummed to see your pic on Facebook the other day :(

The good news is you/others are okay. Can always build another BMW.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yeah this is about me.

I wrecked my M3 on Friday. Really gutted right now.

Thankfully nobody was hurt but it was completely my fault.

Hoping to get into another E36 eventually but will decide over the winter.
Wow man Sorry. Glad no one was hurt.

The Ultimate Driving Machine

·
Speed is Zen
9,754 Posts
Sorry to hear about the car Jay. :(

Joey, Matt, and some of the others here with a bunch of love or money dumped into their cars should really be keeping them under lock and key. :yikes:
Mine literally is kept under lock and key. I don't think I've put more than 1000 miles on it this year since doing the HG job. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing...

·
Come at ///M3
1,156 Posts
Cars are meant to be driven regardless of how much effort, time and money you have poured into them. ENJOY IT. Who are you saving the car for? Somebody else? Don't let the prospect of loss dissuade you from actually enjoying the fruits of your labor (and wallet).

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Somebody could also regard the ownership of CERTAIN cars as a stewardship,.... SOME CARS you don't really own them, you merely taking care of them before they're passed on to another owner who will do the same for a while until he passes it on....At some point the car becomes a classic and is enjoyed by more people just by seeing it on the road.... E30 M3 is a perfect example....

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
Meh, they aren't driving them because of their classic car insurance policies lol.

1001 - 1020 of 8444 Posts