Bimmerfest BMW banner

1021 - 1040 of 8444 Posts

·
Speed is Zen
9,754 Posts
Cars are meant to be driven regardless of how much effort, time and money you have poured into them. ENJOY IT. Who are you saving the car for? Somebody else? Don't let the prospect of loss dissuade you from actually enjoying the fruits of your labor (and wallet).
:dunno: I haven't made a conscious decision to minimize mileage, I still drive it to work once a week or once every two weeks, and it gets taken for a little cruise out of town or to a C&C every once in a while.

Honestly I think I've gotten a little old for it, driving it occasionally is nice, but day-in-day-out I vastly prefer the stock exhaust, comfy suspension and 2-pedal transmission in the VW. Sue me.

I'm also ok with the fact that I'm able to repair things faster than they break by not using the car all the time, that has been my long term goal with the car afterall, to truly achieve "needs nothing" status. I'm tentatively planning to tear it down for a clutch, shifter, clutch line, oil pan gasket and rod bearing service this winter to compliment the headgasket job and top end refresh I did in March.

EDIT: ^ I have been considering moving the M3 to Hagerty's, with the mileage the car has seen in the past few years I think I can get an agreed value policy for ~$15k for not too much more than I'm paying now for a standard policy, which probably has an abysmal evaluation of a 20 year old E36.

·
Registered
12,712 Posts
EDIT: ^ I have been considering moving the M3 to Hagerty's, with the mileage the car has seen in the past few years I think I can get an agreed value policy for ~$15k for not too much more than I'm paying now for a standard policy, which probably has an abysmal evaluation of a 20 year old E36.
You don't even want to think about what they'd offer and how much work it would take to get to a figure you could consider accepting. :yikes:

·
Speed is Zen
9,754 Posts
I need to do that too joey. I'd like a policy that pays around 25k if totalled.
If I understand correctly, with Hagerty you can set whatever value for the car you'd like, so long as you're willing to pay the appropriate premium for it. I'd still take a hit at $15k, but it'd also be enough for me to find a nice clean imola red over black M roadster to fill the gaping hole in my garage/heart.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Seats aren't going anywhere. I'm keeping them for whatever I buy next (as long as they're safe enough to use).

:thumbsup:
Those are some cool seats and will serve you well in the next car. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm only keeping to spending money on maintenance (and that 5spd swap that's on hold) I would probably get a set. But then I'd loose access to the rear seats and gain a reprimand from my dad. He dislikes the car as it is lol.

On the other hand if you get to keep the car and part out I might be interested in the front struts for my Koni inserts (don't know if you have the OEM struts), Ken has a lead on a set for me but we're waiting in the owner (looking for them)

Oh Andrew, if you still need a DEPO headlight I just got one (which looks brand new, PO said it was new but I see marks on the mounting points that it was used briefly otherwise spotless) but its a driver side iirc and has no angel eyes.
Pic later

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,256 Posts
If I understand correctly, with Hagerty you can set whatever value for the car you'd like, so long as you're willing to pay the appropriate premium for it. I'd still take a hit at $15k, but it'd also be enough for me to find a nice clean imola red over black M roadster to fill the gaping hole in my garage/heart.
The catch there is "agreed upon value". I don't think they'll insure, say, a car appraised at $10k, for $25k. They have to agree with your valuation, and they have the option of doing their own appraisal on the car to set the limit of what they'll pay as the result of a total loss.

·
Speed is Zen
9,754 Posts
The catch there is "agreed upon value". I don't think they'll insure, say, a car appraised at $10k, for $25k. They have to agree with your valuation, and they have the option of doing their own appraisal on the car to set the limit of what they'll pay as the result of a total loss.
Gotcha, I haven't looked into it that much.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,256 Posts
I haven't either, Joey, but that's what I was told by one of the chapter members that does use Haggerty. By the way, he has an '88 M6, a '71 2002ti with an S14, plus another 2002 currently being restored.

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
:thumbsup:
Those are some cool seats and will serve you well in the next car. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm only keeping to spending money on maintenance (and that 5spd swap that's on hold) I would probably get a set. But then I'd loose access to the rear seats and gain a reprimand from my dad. He dislikes the car as it is lol.

On the other hand if you get to keep the car and part out I might be interested in the front struts for my Koni inserts (don't know if you have the OEM struts), Ken has a lead on a set for me but we're waiting in the owner (looking for them)

Oh Andrew, if you still need a DEPO headlight I just got one (which looks brand new, PO said it was new but I see marks on the mounting points that it was used briefly otherwise spotless) but its a driver side iirc and has no angel eyes.
Pic later
Yes absolutely, but why don't you want it? Is it Hella style or ZKW style? In other words, does it have all of those dumb glass nipples along the top or not?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Yes absolutely, but why don't you want it? Is it Hella style or ZKW style? In other words, does it have all of those dumb glass nipples along the top or not?

Its the driver side.

I just bought it as a spare, you know just in case and the price was good. The ones that are in my car already came with the angel eyes inside, this one doesn't but can be easily installed tho.

It is a DEPO headlight, with nipples along the top.
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1441147268.580463.jpg
Here are more pictures.
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1441147291.753506.jpg
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1441147305.589133.jpg
I did notice that mine do not have this bulb below the high beam.
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1441147336.700862.jpg

Here are mine for comparison
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1441148037.902647.jpg
The low beam lens is a little different on mine, why I don't know but both are DEPO with same number engraved on glass.

Oh wait, mine used to be chrome at the back of the housing and I painted them black.
Here's how they were before.
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1441148174.692493.jpg

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
Awesome! Would you consider selling me just the housing without the outer glass? This way you still have a spare in case you eat a rock or something.

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
Pm'd

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
....I have to ask if anyone knows if the outer glass is removable in order to clean the inner lense and glass.... I've tried once but it seemed impossible.... Thanks

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
....I have to ask if anyone knows if the outer glass is removable in order to clean the inner lense and glass.... I've tried once but it seemed impossible.... Thanks
Are you sure it is glass?

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
Well he just posted some pictures showing it is possible, and I've taken them apart before too.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
On the sedan I had, I removed the whole light fixture and realised that the glass was glued to the housing on both lenses,...I've never really tried on the M3.

Attachments

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
Strange, granted I only experience with Depo's and U.S. Spec headlights, but even the Depo glass is made to fit the OEM glass headlights as well.

1021 - 1040 of 8444 Posts