Bimmerfest BMW banner

1041 - 1060 of 8444 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
....I have to ask if anyone knows if the outer glass is removable in order to clean the inner lense and glass.... I've tried once but it seemed impossible.... Thanks

Yes it is. All you need is a heat gun and patience.
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1441175961.969549.jpg ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1441175566.626140.jpg
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1441175593.737202.jpg
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1441175620.791151.jpg

I did mine to pain off the chrome, glued them back with black silicone adhesive/sealant and never looked back.

Again, before
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1441175799.477926.jpg
After
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1441175836.240318.jpg

You'll have fun cleaning the old glue, don't forget gloves, its messy and sticks to anything and everything.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Just for clarity's sake, that is only possible on aftermarket lights OR non-US OEM lights.

The US spec lights use plastic lenses and don't come off nearly as easily. The rest of the world got decent glass lenses.

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
Actually Canada's headlights sucked donkey balls too.

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts

·
Too soon Junior
3,243 Posts
I don't know if any of you guys have seen this yet but it's certainly worth a watch. No BMWs, but it's more about the message, which serves as a solid representation of what it's like to be a "car guy." Pretty moving to me at least, I've watched it more times than I can keep track of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOCqWW3HYzY

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
^ At lest he had his priorities right. First save his kids, then save the ribs.

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
Personally I don't understand why Californians seem to have this attitude. I had some friends from San Francisco tell me the same thing basically when I was telling them I was going that way. Maybe you all need to visit Fargo ND or something lol. The drive through the Golden Fields was absolutely gorgeous and I liked Selma too. Hard working town struggling through a drought.

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
Ya true, I understand it, I just wish the pool of relative was a little larger.

So I removed my rad and shroud today, and when I emptied the coolant I noticed some extremely fragile pieces of plastic in the expansion tank, and when I looked in the expansion tank still on my donor radiator I found almost identical pieces of plastic. On both I could not tell by looking in the bottle where these pieces came from, I wasn't concerned but I was curious. So here are my pics.

ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1441337224.897547.jpg
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1441337240.631240.jpg
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1441337276.713159.jpg

By the way, that wasn't my expansion bottle, mine is much cleaner :) and judging by this I'd say this is a pretty common failure, and in both times it happened on the side which is not visible by looking into the bottle.

Also I managed to be totally clueless as far as the functionality of my cooling system goes I don't think I ever had problems, aside from never ending bubbles from my bleeder screw, maybe this time when I bleed it I can actually go 5 minutes without seeing even 1 bubble??? Haha doubt it but I'll try. Looks like it could be related. Luckily carquest has these bottles in stock so I'll pick one up from them tomorrow.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Personally I don't understand why Californians seem to have this attitude. I had some friends from San Francisco tell me the same thing basically when I was telling them I was going that way. Maybe you all need to visit Fargo ND or something lol. The drive through the Golden Fields was absolutely gorgeous and I liked Selma too. Hard working town struggling through a drought.
If you went from SF to Fresno you probably drove right by my house.

Fresno is a long way from anything, has lousy weather, poor air quality, a weak economy, and high crime. It's close to the Southern Sierras but that's about the only redeeming quality. And....
It's just because everything is relative.
..... This. If we were in Fargo perhaps Fresno wouldn't seem so bad. But when you're here, it's pretty low on the totem pole.

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
Well granted I only went to the university in Fresno. But what are your thoughts on Selma?

·
Back in the game
1,629 Posts
Hoping for a little front suspension geometry confirmation from you guys.

My 96 m3 has a failing outer ball joint in the right front control arm. Things I've found out:

- 95 M3 and 96+ M3 control arms are different and only available as genuine parts (or complete crap)
- 95 M3 and non-m arms are the same geometry, but the M3 part is of higher quality?
- in order to use the offset bimmerworld fcabs from the old 328is on the 96 M3 I will need 95 M3 arms and strut mounts

Am I on the right path here?

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,448 Posts
Hoping for a little front suspension geometry confirmation from you guys.

My 96 m3 has a failing outer ball joint in the right front control arm. Things I've found out:

- 95 M3 and 96+ M3 control arms are different and only available as genuine parts (or complete crap)
- 95 M3 and non-m arms are the same geometry, but the M3 part is of higher quality?
- in order to use the offset bimmerworld fcabs from the old 328is on the 96 M3 I will need 95 M3 arms and strut mounts

Am I on the right path here?
Yep, you are correct on all accounts. It's kind of annoying that you can't buy Lemforder control arms for a '95 M3 and instead have to pay an extra $100 for the same part that just has a roundel on it. For the record, I'm using Lemforder non-M control arms on my car with '95 M3 (i.e., offset) bimmerworld FCABs and '95 M3 strut mounts. You could in theory use the non-M control arms in your car, but I would totally understand why you wouldn't want to. If/when my non-M control arms fail, I will probably swallow the extra cost and get the '95 M3 version. That said, I have zero complaints about my current control arms. It's just a matter of how long they last, and so far, so good.

·
Back in the game
1,629 Posts
Thanks for the input Karl.

It's a pain that the genuine parts are about double cost of the lemforder arms. Who knows if I'll be getting lemforder arms with a roundel stamp if I decide to pay extra.

1041 - 1060 of 8444 Posts