Bimmerfest BMW banner

1061 - 1080 of 8444 Posts

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Well granted I only went to the university in Fresno. But what are your thoughts on Selma?
Honestly, can't say I've spent any time there, but from Google it looks about like any other farm town on 99. What did you like about it?

Seriously, if you could spend two weeks here exploring SF and SD, the coast, the Sierras, gold country, the deserts, and the northern forests and lakes, you'd understand why the Valley gets such a bad rap.

·
Speed is Zen
9,754 Posts
Well I'm officially old, and blind, and poor. :(:(:(

Went to the eye Dr for the first time in ~9 years. I'm now both slightly nearsighted and farsighted, not by much but enough to need a prescription. I am shocked at what I just spent for two pairs of glasses.

Hello folks. Can anyone recommend a site where I can purchase rubber mats for my 99 328i?
Bimmerworld, Turner Motorsport, Bav Auto, GetBMWparts.com, FCP Euro are all good places to check. ModBargains tends to have good prices on stuff but I don't know if they'll have OEM mats.

·
Registered
12,706 Posts

Went to the eye Dr for the first time in ~9 years. I'm now both slightly nearsighted and farsighted, not by much but enough to need a prescription. I am shocked at what I just spent for two pairs of glasses.

Bimmerworld, Turner Motorsport, Bav Auto, GetBMWparts.com, FCP Euro are all good places to check. ModBargains tends to have good prices on stuff but I don't know if they'll have OEM mats.
?????
Farsightedness results from an eye shape that's short front to back and the focal point falls just behind the retina causing lack of focus. Nearsightedness is the inverse where the eyeball is elongated front to back and the focal point falls in front of the retinal surface causing it to be out of focus. Don't know how you can be both unless it's presbyopia, in which case, yes you are now officially old. :p

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
Yep, you are correct on all accounts. It's kind of annoying that you can't buy Lemforder control arms for a '95 M3 and instead have to pay an extra $100 for the same part that just has a roundel on it. For the record, I'm using Lemforder non-M control arms on my car with '95 M3 (i.e., offset) bimmerworld FCABs and '95 M3 strut mounts. You could in theory use the non-M control arms in your car, but I would totally understand why you wouldn't want to. If/when my non-M control arms fail, I will probably swallow the extra cost and get the '95 M3 version. That said, I have zero complaints about my current control arms. It's just a matter of how long they last, and so far, so good.
This is interesting, so are the M3 versions thicker or something? I forget exactly what your reason was for going 95 M3 geometry Karl. It is the same situation for the 96 me control arms? Same geometry but BMW ones are of better quality? Perhaps there are good re-manned ones. I didn't even realize they stamped the M3 ones, although I know the rear trailing arms have the big ///M on them. Do you have those as well Karl?

·
Speed is Zen
9,754 Posts
?????
Farsightedness results from an eye shape that's short front to back and the focal point falls just behind the retina causing lack of focus. Nearsightedness is the inverse where the eyeball is elongated front to back and the focal point falls in front of the retinal surface causing it to be out of focus. Don't know how you can be both unless it's presbyopia, in which case, yes you are now officially old. :p
Uhhhh, I defer to your judgement, I'm new to this whole vision health thing. I applied those terms myself, the doctor didn't use them, I just know I need one prescription for long distance stuff, and another prescription for the computer and up close stuff. I didn't like the idea of bifocals, and the prescriptions are both very mild, so she said I could get two pairs and just use them as needed.

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
Uhhhh, I defer to your judgement, I'm new to this whole vision health thing. I applied those terms myself, the doctor didn't use them, I just know I need one prescription for long distance stuff, and another prescription for the computer and up close stuff. I didn't like the idea of bifocals, and the prescriptions are both very mild, so she said I could get two pairs and just use them as needed.
Roger! At some point, the ability of the eyeball to shorten or elongate to focus at close distances decreases and then your eyes need help to move the focal plane within where the eye can adjust to. That's presbyopia, and at some point it progresses to CSS.

If they haven't ground any glass yet, you might want to consider some progressives. That way you only need one pair of glasses and you have a focus point anywhere between up close and far distances. You just change to angle of your head to adjust the focal point. Takes about a week to adjust but once you do they're great.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
?????
Farsightedness results from an eye shape that's short front to back and the focal point falls just behind the retina causing lack of focus. Nearsightedness is the inverse where the eyeball is elongated front to back and the focal point falls in front of the retinal surface causing it to be out of focus. Don't know how you can be both unless it's presbyopia, in which case, yes you are now officially old.
We've always known Joey was an old soul.... We just didn't know it extended beyond that.

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,448 Posts
Thanks for the input Karl.

It's a pain that the genuine parts are about double cost of the lemforder arms. Who knows if I'll be getting lemforder arms with a roundel stamp if I decide to pay extra.
I'm sure that's what will end up being the case...

Hello folks. Can anyone recommend a site where I can purchase rubber mats for my 99 328i?

WeatherTech or eBay.

This is interesting, so are the M3 versions thicker or something? I forget exactly what your reason was for going 95 M3 geometry Karl. It is the same situation for the 96 me control arms? Same geometry but BMW ones are of better quality? Perhaps there are good re-manned ones. I didn't even realize they stamped the M3 ones, although I know the rear trailing arms have the big ///M on them. Do you have those as well Karl?
The M3 front control arms don't have a rubber isolated outer ball joint like the non-m version does. Supposed to be more durable. My reason for switching to 95 M3 geometry is because I wanted to use solid mount FCABs, which only came in the 95 M3 offset configuration, so I had to make everything else match accordingly.

I don't have M3 rear trailing arms. There's no reason to unless upgrading to M3 brakes.

·
Needs Boost
12,109 Posts

I'm convinced eye doctors are like those that convince parents their children had ADD.

I bet almost anyone can go to the eye doctor and they'll find an issue with your vision.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,152 Posts
I'm convinced eye doctors are like those that convince parents their children had ADD.

I bet almost anyone can go to the eye doctor and they'll find an issue with your vision.
Maybe so, but I've been legally blind for 30 years without my glasses.

Joey, if you get blended (progressive) lenses, get only the ones with the extended width focal area. The focal area is shaped like an hourglass in progressive lenses. If the 'waist' of the hourglass is too small, it'll drive you nuts. My last pair was like that, and it bothered me so much I went back to lined trifocals. I couldn't afford the wide focal area blended lenses. Three times as much as the lined lenses.

·
Needs Boost
12,109 Posts
Maybe so, but I've been legally blind for 30 years without my glasses.

Joey, if you get blended (progressive) lenses, get only the ones with the extended width focal area. The focal area is shaped like an hourglass in progressive lenses. If the 'waist' of the hourglass is too small, it'll drive you nuts. My last pair was like that, and it bothered me so much I went back to lined trifocals. I couldn't afford the wide focal area blended lenses. Three times as much as the lined lenses.
I've never heard of anyone going to the eye doctor and coming back without a prescription, glasses, or contacts.

And eyebuydirect.com for glasses, stupid cheap. I've used a handful of times with great success.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,152 Posts
Anyone have a good method of taking off the fan clutch? It always takes me like 2 hours
A set of a clutch holding wrench and long 32mm open end makes it a two minute job. Then a 10mm socket on a short ratchet.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Thanks! I have the new expansion tank in and how to do loosen the crimp clamp on the small upper coolant hose?
Use a screw driver to un-crimp it. I would suggest replacing it will a screw type hose clamp when you are done, but you could also try and bend it back.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
My friend had a extra screw type clamp and I used it. My car doesn't overheat anymore! I'm sure my head gasket needs replacing but I leave for bootcamp in less then 3 months so I'm not gonna worry about it

1061 - 1080 of 8444 Posts