BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im new to the forums, my name is German and i currently drive a 2006 x3 with about 82k miles on it. this being my first car i have a couple of questions/issues that maybe you guys could help me out with or have had.

I recently changed the following liquids: front & rear diff, brake fluid, coolant flush and change, and power steering. Do you guys know of what other fluids i should get changed/serviced??

I also lost the key to my OEM roof racks and ive looking around but i cant seem to find a place that sells them, i checked the local bmw dealer but they couldnt help either. do you guys know of a site that might sell them??

the other issue that im having is that the engine in my car is a lot louder than other bmw x3s that ive have heard of, i bought the car used so i dont know whether the the previous owner had something done to it, my friends usually say they can her me pull up. maybe you guys might know the issue.

the last issue that i could think of that im having is when it comes to turn on my car sometimes i either have to turn the key for a couple of more seconds for the car to be on or stop of the turning, pull out the keys and try again. it makes like a stuttering noise when im turning the key in the ignition so i dont know whats the issue there.

those are just some of the questions and issues that im having at the moment, I would really appreciate the help and info. i could get and thanks to taking your time and getting to reply.

·
roys4x4
101 Posts
bimmer rack keys parts catalogue

in the site below enter your last 7 of your vin. and in the accy. section is a set of keys under the ski rack parts and also a lock cylinder with key that might work. oh btw this is the official bmw parts catalogue you might bookmark it. www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do and good luck i:) hope your 06 is a great as mine!

the loudness of your engine please describe a little detail, ie muffler.... engine internal tapping vacuum issue etc?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the engine has like a loud deep sound to it, when in idle or even going under 20mph. i dont think there was anything done to the mufflers

·
DROZ3
181 Posts
Sound issue : there is a flap which opens and closes in one of the 2 outlet pipe of your muffler ; when it works well then it should decrease the sound :
http://blog.bavauto.com/7886/bmw-3-...ap-valve-stuck-noisy-e36-e46-e90-e91-e92-e93/
Check if it is working properly.

If it is stuck then it is better to keep it open as keeping it closed all the time may be bad for the engine, well that is what I have read in a forum ...

Mine is permanently stuck open (Quebec winter, road salt ...), since the price of the BMW exhaust is too high for me to replace it based on rumble sound at low RPM, I decided to get use to the sound ... LOL
Have not seen an after market muffler yet which would not included the faulling flap gadget and be less expensive than the BMW muffler.

·
Anti-Hack
5,118 Posts
2006... M54 motor? I've found that the M54 in my E46 has far more deep growl and resonance than the N52 in my E83, so that alone could be the difference. So much, so, that I wish the N52 sounded like it, it is far too quiet!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah i have the m54 engine in my x3. i imagined that it sounds loud because it of the low rpm.

droz3, would getting used to the noise and not doing anything about it and leaving it at that be find or would it be a problem that i would come across at a later date??

·
Anti-Hack
5,118 Posts
Noise doesn't inherently cause damage, it is the cause of noise that does. Engine noise gets louder with RPM no quieter. In order to know what can happen one must first determine the cause, which is impossible to do by an internet description. Do you mean sound from inside the cabin, or sound while standing in front of it with the hood open? What you could be hearing is simply the difference between your M54 and a friend's N52, or your exhaust could be rotted, your muffler bad, etc. Exhaust, while having gotten much more durable, is still a replaceable item. I remember replacing mufflers in older cars every couple of years.

For your keys, try a locksmith, they may be able to make you a key from the lock.

For your fluids, transfer case fluid is probably the single most important fluid to change in your car other than engine oil.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im new to this, so when it comes to posting a vid would i first have to upload to youtube then share a link??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts