Bimmerfest BMW banner

1561 - 1580 of 2323 Posts

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,452 Posts
Ah yes, that makes sense based on how the brake power just cuts out. Probably was too busy thinking about an escape route and pumping the brake pedal to remember downshifting.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
So I just bought a 2005 g35 6 speed. It has lsd which is awesome! A little on the heavy side but still handles pretty good I plan on putting stiffer suspension on it

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,452 Posts
Nice. Coupe or sedan? I've always liked the G35s. Nissans are not fun to work on, at all, but they are fairly reliable and have a huge aftermarket.

·
Registered
12,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,564
So I just bought a 2005 g35 6 speed. It has lsd which is awesome! A little on the heavy side but still handles pretty good I plan on putting stiffer suspension on it
Pics or it didn't happen!

If memory serves me correctly its the same platform as the 350Z so there should be plenty of aftermarket parts available.

·
Registered
12,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,567
Why didn't that guy in the Corvette use the parking brake to stop him from coasting?
Lot's of questions still open on the incident. Why didn't he down shift to try to bleed off speed? Did he have the E brake engaged? Why didn't he go right and stay on the track property instead of taking the right that took him through the gate?

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,452 Posts
I'm assuming that Corvette is a full-on race car, which could very likely have had the e-brake removed since they are generally not of any value when trying to slow a car down at higher speeds.

·
Registered
12,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,570
Great start to the season with St. Louis SCCA. Car's got potential, I just gotta string together good runs. I really do want RE71R's now though.
That looked like a really fun course!

·
Registered
12,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,572 (Edited)
Here's my best run from today, but it wasn't very good comparatively (1.8 seconds off the 1st place time). Learned a lot from the event though. It was held at the convention center which is about 15 minutes from my house. Generally I have an hour plus drive to the event site, and I realized to day that drive time helps me put the work week behind me and get focused on the event at hand. Never really got my head into driving today. Next time we go there I think I'll volunteer for the set up crew and see if that helps me get focused.
The other thing I learned is the front end set up change I made was a step backwards. I was running the front sway bar (H&R) at the softest connecting point, and the front strut rebound at the max. I moved to the forward connecting point on the bar (stiffest) and changed the rebound on the front struts to the mid point. Transient response has definitely degraded, so I'm going back to the previous set up.

https://youtu.be/hvRHm8aDJyI

·
Registered
12,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,574
I can't keep up with the guys running RE-71R's. Later this month though...
You'll be amazed at the grip level they give. If the Rival S and Kumho V720 weren't showing close comparable results in tires tests I would have expected them to go on the restricted or banned list.

In related and exciting news, the Daytona Rising project resulted in demolition of the back stretch media tower and grand stands, which has made the associated parking lot available for other uses. Our May 7 & 8 SCCA event which would have normally been on the kart track will be the first autocross held there. The lot is HUGE! Potentially large enough for a national level event. It's big enough that on Saturday the 7th there will be a Starting Line School AND an autocross practice event held simultaneously. Here's the course for Sunday the 8th. They're estimate the FTD times will be in the mid 60 second range!
I'm signed up to the Sunday autocross and on the Friday prior they're holding a PDX on the full IMSA road course which I'm now qualified to run and signed up for.

Very pumped!

Attachments

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,452 Posts
https://youtu.be/b_lGQEPguic

I can't keep up with the guys running RE-71R's. Later this month though...
Your tires in this video seem to be screaming for dear mercy, so I bet the RE-71s will make a huge difference in your times.

I'm signed up to the Sunday autocross and on the Friday prior they're holding a PDX on the full IMSA road course which I'm now qualified to run and signed up for.

Very pumped!
Sounds super fun. Would love to see some video of the PDX afterward.

·
Ambitious But Rubbish
1,231 Posts
Forgot to post this here, oops.

March 2016 "Spring Rumble" - Summit Point Main

First "regular" event of the season in the books. Road Atlanta was truly a NASA Southeast weekend, so it was great to be back with the Mid-Atlantic family yet again. My weekend was... ugh. It was okay. The last time I was at Summit (November) I came home with a rather mangled BMW. The car and I both came home in one piece this time, so that's always a positive.

I just felt - all weekend - like I didn't drive very well.

I did our Saturday warm-up session on my RS3's, and Jay ride shotgun. He was there for HPDE 2 and hadn't been around Summit Main ever, so I figured some "take it easy" laps to knock off the rust would be good for me and helpful for him. Ran some 1:32's and 1:33's in traffic which was alright by me.

Switched to the Hoosiers (R6) and got a hair faster - but not on "Hoosier level" of speed, at all. I think that's what is bumming me out. My best lap was on Sunday morning, at a 1:29.6. That's still kind of a street tire time.

My friend Zack rode with me on Sunday mid-morning and observed my driving, then offered some pointers in the paddock. His biggest observation was that I was a bit violent with my inputs, which was upsetting the car and, as he put it, "holy understeer." He really stressed being more gentle with my brake release and my steering input - said my turn-in was very autocross-esque - and said that with smoother transitions, the car wouldn't fight me so much. He was 100% correct and the rest of Sunday was spent turning laps that were significantly less stressful or rough. That was great.

Zack's schooling produced smoother yet slower laps. I think I was focusing a lot on doing what he said, which distracted me from jumping back on the throttle with enough alacrity to keep the momentum up. Having the stock 3.23 rear end means the car doesn't want to power out of corners nearly as well as Christina's (3.38 "automatic" diff) or the Donovan's (3.64 custom from Diffsonline). So, gotta keep the revs up which I am now seeing in the time deltas.

That said, I ran the rest of Sunday laying down 1:31's that were all within a tenth of each other. Several folks told me the consistency was something to be very pleased with, and I am. My hope is that it transfers to VIR next month and I can pick up more speed while remaining smooth with everything.

Mom and Dad came out on Saturday, and Mom ran her second-ever Hyperdrive, too. My friend Christina hopped in the right seat and gave her a ton of great instruction, which was so fun to hear about. Her first instructor last year really didn't say much, which left her feeling unsure of her abilities. By contrast, Christina got her focused on the driving line and they picked up a bit of speed. She looked way better coming out of T10 this time compared to last year. Victory!

Photos and videos to come, but this one of my friends' dog about sums up large chunks of how things felt:

·
Registered
12,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,578
Forgot to post this here, oops.

March 2016 "Spring Rumble" - Summit Point Main

Switched to the Hoosiers (R6) and got a hair faster - but not on "Hoosier level" of speed, at all. I think that's what is bumming me out. My best lap was on Sunday morning, at a 1:29.6. That's still kind of a street tire time.
What was the weather (temperature) like? If it was cool/cold out and you weren't getting the purple crack rollers up to optimum temps, they're not any stickier than street tires. Just a thought....:)

·
Registered
12,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,580
The weather was perfect. Mid 70s during the day. Track surface temp was around 90 to 100F.

Well Jake, I tried to give you an out, but apparently that was a fail.

1561 - 1580 of 2323 Posts