BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
///M 'n it up!
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine got in the passenger side, pulled the door handle to shut the door, and the handle came off in his hands! The door handle uses cheap plastic fasteners. The fasteners just snapped in two!

Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
124 Posts
An upgrade to a z4coupe or mz4 will fix that right up. : )

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
Happen to me on a 91 Acura Legend after about 5 years. I think plastics in general break down over time thereby weakening the parts.

·
///M 'n it up!
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would love a mZ4 roadster (sorry, I like the sun too much for a coupe). Anyone willing to donate?

·
Registered
111 Posts
A very similar thing happened to a friend of mine, tho the passenger side door piece one pulls on to close the door, only pulled loose on one end. It is a 2000 2.8 Z3, and he was told by a quality body shop that the door panel had to be removed and replaced (it only comes as an assembly) and because of the air bags etc, the cost would be approx $1000.

Let me know how you fix this and I will pass the info along to him.

Thanks

·
Dragon Master of TEXAS!
876 Posts
Nope! Plus I hope not too!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Not that uncommon.

I have gone thru one passenger side and soon to need the drivers. Price for non-extended leather pulls is about $37. Takes about 30 min to replace. You have to remove the door panel to replace. The top part of the pull uses heat melted plastic as the attaching mechanism, kinda flimsy IMHO.

·
Registered
213 Posts
thats why I put carbon fiber at the back of the door panel and bigger washers behind the handle screws to reenforce the whole panel...now its stronger than ever...pull ad slam all you want

·
///M 'n it up!
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jameswbl said:
thats why I put carbon fiber at the back of the door panel and bigger washers behind the handle screws to reenforce the whole panel...
Please feel free to explain in more detail where you got the materials and how it all fit together!

·
Registered
213 Posts
you 1st remove the door panels as per Ron's instruction (search function)...read this from top to bottom before reading further...

then you remove the 2 screws holding the handle to the panel but keep the handles in place...its still held by a melted plastic tab when the mirror button is...you dont wanna break those tabs

number 10 in...
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CM93&mospid=48089&btnr=51_2351&hg=51&fg=50

I then laminated the back of the door panel (the cardboard like material) with body repair fiber glass and carbon fiber sheets at the stress bearing location...concentrate at the attachment points of the handle and surrounding area to spread the load...dont make it too thick though or you will have hard time clear the wires behind the panel

once the sheets dried and the panel is hard...I then drilled 2 holes where the 2 screws suppose to go (careful so you dont drill thru the handle)...and I added two big washer to the original one piece washer for the screws...again to spread the load

now you have a more rigid door panel...i have been slamming and pulling both doors without any problem

took me over 2 weekends to do this...one door at a time...as you need patience and lots of air drying for the resin to harden...also dont buy cheap resin as they will make the interior smells like glue for wks...unless you like to sniff that kinda thing...

hope it helps...fix it before its too late...my panels are in mint condition so I figure in case I break mine, those junk yard ones won't cut it...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.