BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Chicks dig Wagons!
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a few days I expect to hit 50,000 and will drive out of the warranty before time expires. The sadest aspect of this is that I will probably start getting most of my work done at independents, because the dealers out here overcharge so ridiculously. However, I have this absolutely supper fantastic SA (Tony at Century West) who I trust and like so much that I almost hate to stop going there.

Anyway, there are always complaints on this forum about dealers and BMW service, but chalk me up as one extremely satisfied owner. The care I've received at that dealer has been absolutely top notch.

· Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,219 Posts
In a few days I expect to hit 50,000 and will drive out of the warranty before time expires. The sadest aspect of this is that I will probably start getting most of my work done at independents, because the dealers out here overcharge so ridiculously. However, I have this absolutely supper fantastic SA (Tony at Century West) who I trust and like so much that I almost hate to stop going there.

Anyway, there are always complaints on this forum about dealers and BMW service, but chalk me up as one extremely satisfied owner. The care I've received at that dealer has been absolutely top notch.
Don't forget, you live in CA - the warranty on emissions components lasts until 7 years/70K miles.

· Here comes trouble!
8,670 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you. About 5,000 miles away from running over 50k and have been very satisfied with the service department at my dealer. They charge more than others but not ridiculous amounts. Hence, I will continue to go there after the warranty for regular maintenance and repair. For jobs that could break the bank, I will get quotes from another place that I trust to perhaps ensure I'm not completely throwing money away, but for now, the dealer has done a great job and think they deserve to continue to get my business.

· Chicks dig Wagons!
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in the same boat as you. About 5,000 miles away from running over 50k and have been very satisfied with the service department at my dealer. They charge more than others but not ridiculous amounts. Hence, I will continue to go there after the warranty for regular maintenance and repair. For jobs that could break the bank, I will get quotes from another place that I trust to perhaps ensure I'm not completely throwing money away, but for now, the dealer has done a great job and think they deserve to continue to get my business.
Sadly, the overcharging at West coast dealers is epic. So, continuing to go there for regular work is probably not even an option.

· Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,219 Posts
Wow. Had no idea. Thanks!
Yeah, some people don't. It's not as good as the original, but covers some expensive stuff. Check your warranty book and the CARB website.

I'm also in a state that uses the CA Emissions (WA). The additional coverage had a bearing on my decision to not get an extended warranty, as it covers the Cats and SCR system on my 335d. I decided that the additional year I could get for my $2500 wasn't worth it. Now watch, something will break!:mad:

FYI, the states are: Arizona, California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington.

And to go along with your comment about dealer(s), I've had great service from BMW Bellevue up here in the Seattle area.

· Registered
329 Posts
Kilgore,
I know Tony at Century West. When I had my e39, my car was serviced thru him. After the warranty and free maintenance went away, I started going to The M Shop in Eagle Rock.

· Chicks dig Wagons!
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How is Century West with loaners?
Also what Indy shops are you looking at ??
I've not done well there with loaners. They have all sorts of interesting fun cars that they loan out, but they are always out of stock when I get there and wind up renting me something at the Enterprise down the block.

I haven't identified an independent yet.

· Chicks dig Wagons!
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kilgore,
I know Tony at Century West. When I had my e39, my car was serviced thru him. After the warranty and free maintenance went away, I started going to The M Shop in Eagle Rock.
Yeah, I live near the M shop now. I just bought a house in Toluca Lake though, so I'll be in the NoHo area and have to find a good independent there.

· Registered
1,652 Posts
I hear your struggle completely, our local dealer also is a top notch operation but some of the quoted prices I was able to obtain are just flat out ridiculous...if they were 10/20% more than local indys, I'd be willing to pay for the piece of mind but some of the stuff's just plain nuts.

· Registered
87 Posts
It is a big advantage to live in one of those states listed. For that reason I did not get the extended warranty. The SA also said lots of stuff is not covered. Mostly engine and unless you drive like a nut you won't use it. He said save your money.

· Premium Member
7,715 Posts
In a few days I expect to hit 50,000 and will drive out of the warranty before time expires.

I am not sure which is worse: Hitting 50K with time still on the clock or running out the clock with miles still on the odometer. I will end up doing the latter as I am one week short of my 3 year anniversary and am still shy of 22,000 miles. Similarly, to this point I've had a very good experience at my dealership. That being said, it's pretty much a done deal that after my car goes out of warranty all maintenance/repairs (excepting the hardtop) will go to our trusted indy. He really isn't that much chaper than the local dealer, it's just that he stands by his work and fully understands that a happy customer today helps cultivate a return customer tomorrow.

FWIW: Kudos to you for commending your dealership - you are spot on, here on the forum dealership complimemts are sometimes few and far between. Good luck with everyting.

· Outside looking in
6,403 Posts

I managed to bargain with my SA and got a ~18% discount on my M. Basically, I paid BMW warranty prices for parts and labor. My lever was a competing dealership had a discount card for 15% for up to $2000 work...which isn't a lot on an M3!

· Original Owners Club
512 Posts

You could always tell your SA the same thing you've posted here, but let them know you would continue to bring your car there if they can give you pricing competitive with the local Indies. That way, you're giving them a chance to retain your business, and the worst they can do is say no. Best case, you get to keep going to a place you trust and get competative rates.

· Registered
508 Posts
I like my indi better than the dealer. He lets me stand with the mechanic when they are working on my car, and I have learned a lot by this (just an oil chnage and tire change so far). Also, they are a Dinan dealer so I have seen some great works of art (two M5 V10s stroker motors and the like.

· Registered
1,196 Posts
I like my indi better than the dealer. He lets me stand with the mechanic when they are working on my car, and I have learned a lot by this (just an oil chnage and tire change so far). Also, they are a Dinan dealer so I have seen some great works of art (two M5 V10s stroker motors and the like.
Sounds like my local Dinan indy dealer in the Northern Virginia area. ;)

· Philosopher-king
6,427 Posts
The sadest aspect of this is that I will probably start getting most of my work done at independents, because the dealers out here overcharge so ridiculously.
Can indies plug your car into the BMW Mothership in Munich?

The software v. electronic component issue was a big reason why I bought the BMW extended warranty. My indy is fine, but I'm unsure he has all the capabilities.

You might still be able to visit your absolutely supper fantastic SA Tony after the warranty is out!

· Registered
667 Posts
I don't know if you are lucky or unlucky.
I won't miss my arrogant SAs with their smirky smiles when I hit 4 years the next spring. It will happen before 80 k(kilometres ) because the frequent business trips.
On the other hand I didn't have to deal with them too much and that is a good thing for sure.
I don't mind the car(pretty slow pig though ). The BMW service experience is not remarkable. The coffee machine was good to be fare.
Sent from my GT-N7000 using Bimmer App

· N54
3,592 Posts
I am not sure which is worse: Hitting 50K with time still on the clock or running out the clock with miles still on the odometer. I will end up doing the latter as I am one week short of my 3 year anniversary and am still shy of 22,000 miles. Similarly, to this point I've had a very good experience at my dealership. That being said, it's pretty much a done deal that after my car goes out of warranty all maintenance/repairs (excepting the hardtop) will go to our trusted indy. He really isn't that much chaper than the local dealer, it's just that he stands by his work and fully understands that a happy customer today helps cultivate a return customer tomorrow.

FWIW: Kudos to you for commending your dealership - you are spot on, here on the forum dealership complimemts are sometimes few and far between. Good luck with everyting.
Same here: extended warranty timed out at 63,xxx miles so obviously well below the 100k limit.

Props to JMK BMW here for a great ownership/service experience. I have not bought from them and will now be taking a 18-24 month sabbatical from the brand (see sig), but would recommend their service dept without reservation.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.