BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will try to take a piocture but I just want to ask if you have interesting solutions to a very minor problem.

My cig lighter usb adapter stopped working and when I pulled it out and fumbled about the bottom I saw sparks and burnt my fingter sticking it in the empty hole.

What?.

Looking closely I could see that one of the four little sqwuare 2mm by 2mm plates with a coiled spring underneath was out of place, causing a short.

Just want to know if most people just remove the little plate and spring or of they bother to replace the whole thing or what when this happens.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Let me try this again

I am having trouble posting up the pioctures of the problem with the cigarete lighter socket bottom square plate and spring.

Trying again.

Do you see the springs (there are two of them) at the 180 degree position?
There was a small nickel plated metal square plate I think that popped off (and is now lost).

Just asking for ideas.

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Testing how to just show the picture without it being a thumbsnale.

[image]http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=595422&d=1493306686[/image]

·
Registered
2003 530i
2,263 Posts
There are no coil springs in my lighter/power socket, or others I've seen over the years. I'd guess the springs in yours are from the charging adapter or perhaps the pop-up mechanism for the socket - don't know, I've never had mine out. I'd pull the fuse and fish out the springs (pull fuse assumes the fuse didn't blow when you made the spark.) Then test the socket hasn't gone inop.

If the socket is FUBAR'd you'll find it is an integral component of the storage tray between the shift lever. It isn't available as a standalone replacement. Options would be:
- replace the storage tray assy
- abandon the console socket and find one of the BMW power socket adapters that plug into the glovebox flashlight charging connector (these are NLA from BMW, but they do turn up on ebay)
- wire up an aftermarket adapter to an empty slot in the glovebox fuse block. See this post for a DIY http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6983699&postcount=5
Depending on how you intent to use the socket, the light gauge lead referenced may not be sufficient & you'll need to source something heavier.

It would be helpful if you included model year in your info block. Many details changed over the E39 lifecycle: wiring/electrics, engines, transmissions, etc. etc.

Anyway, up to build date Sept 98 (model year 1998 and earlier) the lighter fuse was #52 in the fuse block over the battery in the trunk. Later build dates used F7 in the fuse block over the glovebox. (These are for non-Australian cars, which by regulation must cut power to the lighter socket when the car is turned off. That market uses a relay for the 30A feed to the socket.)

EDIT: it occurs to me that it would be wise to pull the storage tray and search for the metal clip gone AWOL that you mentioned. If it's fallen in behind the socket mechanism & into the wiring connectors it might have lodged in a position to create a short with all kinds of potential problems.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are no coil springs in my lighter/power socket, or others I've seen over the years.
Thank you rdl because that's news that I was not expecting.
Those springs are there. They are really tiny. I can't imagine where they came from if they aren't factory. The socket has been working for years. The adapter that went intot it never broke.

Given that this information indicates the springs are factory, can I ask if you are SURE that there are no springs in a factory socket?

I can't imagine where they came from if they just "fell in there", especialy since it has a usb adapter in there 100% of the time, and that USB adapter is whole.

I'd guess the springs in yours are from the charging adapter or perhaps the pop-up mechanism for the socket - don't know, I've never had mine out.
I am guessing that the springs are part of teh mechanism.
They are the right size to be part of teh mechanism.
I think they are normally hidden UNDER and BEHIND the plate that broke.
You can see the other three plates at the noon, 3 and 9 position in the pictdures.

I think thatone spring is in the bottom and one spring is in the side.
The plate broke off when I was ionvestigating.

Literally what happened was
< 1 > Everything working fine for years
< 2 > USB adapter gets flaky
< 3 > I pull USB and stick my finger in there and sparks burn me
< 4 > Investigating with a flashlight, I pull out the broken plate and the springs were there
< 5 > I didnt' see the springs until I snapped a photo

I guess they could have "fallen" in there but the lack of an event that would allow that to happen combined with the fact that teh cover plate at teh 6 position is broken indicates to me that the springs are probably normal and that the cover plate keeps them in check.

I'd pull the fuse and fish out the springs (pull fuse assumes the fuse didn't blow when you made the spark.) Then test the socket hasn't gone inop.
Fuse is still good so I will just remove the battery cable (easier than figureing out which fuse it is and then finding the fuse someonwere in the glovebox or under the seat or whever they hide that fuse in the five or six places that fuses are scattered about_)

If the socket is FUBAR'd you'll find it is an integral component of the storage tray between the shift lever.
I was wondering abuot that. I didn't see how it came out.

It isn't available as a standalone replacement. Options would be:
- replace the storage tray assy
- abandon the console socket and find one of the BMW power socket adapters that plug into the glovebox flashlight charging connector (these are NLA from BMW, but they do turn up on ebay)
- wire up an aftermarket adapter to an empty slot in the glovebox fuse block. See this post for a DIY http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6983699&postcount=5
Depending on how you intent to use the socket, the light gauge lead referenced may not be sufficient & you'll need to source something heavier.
It still works so I suspect I will just pull the battery cable and fish out the springs.

It would be helpful if you included model year in your info block. Many details changed over the E39 lifecycle: wiring/electrics, engines, transmissions, etc. etc.

Anyway, up to build date Sept 98 (model year 1998 and earlier) the lighter fuse was #52 in the fuse block over the battery in the trunk. Later build dates used F7 in the fuse block over the glovebox. (These are for non-Australian cars, which by regulation must cut power to the lighter socket when the car is turned off. That market uses a relay for the 30A feed to the socket.)
Mine is always hot.

EDIT: it occurs to me that it would be wise to pull the storage tray and search for the metal clip gone AWOL that you mentioned. If it's fallen in behind the socket mechanism & into the wiring connectors it might have lodged in a position to create a short with all kinds of potential problems.
It came out the top when I burned my finger. It's probably udner the sdrive seat somewhere.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thinking about it more there is just no way that those springs are not factory.

No way would they even get there in the first place, and evefn if they did get there what would they have come from and even if they came from a broken usb adapterhow could they wedge themselves so perfectly UNDER a plate which broke off when I was probing for what was wrong with the socket?

NOthing makes sense other than those springs are factory abnd the plate just broke off from fatigue over the years.

I'm surprised that nobody else seems to havef reported this because my socket get s the same suse as anyone elses which is that it just holds a usb adapter permanently. Previous owner wasn't a smoker and tehre was no cig lighter when I bought it and no indication of cigarette smoiker.

So I think it's pretty normal in terms of use.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why don't you get a new socket and replace it?
I think because I came here to ask you waht you'd suggest I do and what you think happened and whether this ever happeend to you.

I've seen MANY of your posts and I know you do great diys. Have you done one for this? I sure hopoe so because your writerups are the best.

Rdl says I can't just replace the socket so it's going to be not obvious how to get that panel off if there isn't already a diy.

Anyways, I follow the rules of old cars which is that if I can just pick the two springs out and if the socket still works we are done at that stage.

If the socket won't work after I pick out the two springs then its time to look at whether they even sell a socket (rdl says they don't).

I could rig some other usb thing up but I kind of like the socket so the next step would be to look for your diy to figure out how to replace it.

My next post will be what I find out on realoem because I ahve not looked there yet.

·
Registered
2003 530i
2,263 Posts

Rdl says I can't just replace the socket so it's going to be not obvious how to get that panel off if there isn't already a diy.

I've seen a couple of youtube videos on removing the tray & lighter assy. I'm assuming that's what you mean by "panel" Google or a youtube search should find them.

The essence of the method:
- remove cup holder, switch panel & HVAC panel
- remove shift lever boot & if an automatic, the black panel surrounding the lever too
- the screws securing the tray assy are all then exposed
- once the screws are out the panel can be manipulated/wiggled out

EDIT: not to put too fine a point on it, but I didn't say the socket can't be replaced. Rather, according to RealOEM BMW doesn't list a replacement socket. It might well be possible to cannibalize one tray/socket assy and transplant to another ... don't know. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hard to find anything on real oem if you don't know where they put such thinhgs.
Gave up on finding it by the diagrams in favor of guessing at the part number instead.

Searching found this part nubmer on the web 61 34 6 977 679 (according to bavauto)
Or maybe 61 34 1 363 045 (according to ecs)
Or maybe even 61 34 9 302 236 (according to ecs, with LED)
Or maybe even 61 34 8 383 215 (according to bavarian)

< 1 > Bavauto https://www.bavauto.com/catalog/product/view/id/165319/
< 2 > Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-BMW-Lighter-Socket-Coopers/dp/B00C4HDGNK
< 3 > ECS https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/lighter-socket/61341363045/
< 4 > ECS with LED, https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/socket-lighter-with-led/61349302236/
< 5 > Bavarian https://www.bavauto.com/catalog/product/view/id/165322/

Putting that first part number into RealOEM shows
61346977679 Cigarette lighter socket 2 POL.
Superseded by: 61349302235 (11/01/2014 - ) , nonexchangeable retrospectively
Supersedes: 61346914757 (05/02/2001 - 07/12/2007) , Exchangeable retrospectively 61348372915 (09/01/1996 - 07/09/2004) , nonexchangeable retrospectively 61341378716 (06/01/1986 - )

Here is the link back to where in realoem I couldn't find it by the picdtures
61 is vehicle electrical syst4em
35 is switch
then VARIOUS SWITCHES/CIGAR LIGHTER

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=DT43-USA-12-2001-E39-BMW-525i&diagId=61_0940

[image]http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=595503&stc=1&d=1493351052[/image]

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've seen a couple of youtube videos on removing the tray & lighter assy. I'm assuming that's what you mean by "panel" Google or a youtube search should find them.

The essence of the method:
- remove cup holder, switch panel & HVAC panel
- remove shift lever boot & if an automatic, the black panel surrounding the lever too
- the screws securing the tray assy are all then exposed
- once the screws are out the panel can be manipulated/wiggled out
I'm hoping that cn90 wrote the diy already so I'll wait for him to respoond as he will know offhand if he wrote such a thing alreaedy.

The realoem doesn't show a part number for the actual socket though.
(Trying again to post the pictures without it being thumnailed).

Will look on real oem for a diagram of the parts that have to be removed but why doesn't there show a part number for number 9 in the diagram from realoem?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
EDIT: not to put too fine a point on it, but I didn't say the socket can't be replaced. Rather, according to RealOEM BMW doesn't list a replacement socket. It might well be possible to cannibalize one tray/socket assy and transplant to another ... don't know. Let us know what you find out.
Just saw your edit.
It's ok whatever you said as Im the one asking for help so I'm not going to be choosy on the words.

I just want to know what is going on with the socket and if others had this and what they did and that kind of stuff that someone who did it would know.

Im taking the advice to at least find out whast realoem sells by way of the part that contains the socket. We know I can buy a whole car and it comes with the socket but I'm trying to narryw it down a bit more than that. :)

Is the #9 in the last diagram the part that comes with the socket?
09 FRONT CENTER CONSOLE STORING PARTITION SCHWARZ 1 51168159694 $54.41

Searching on imeages googe I think it might be
[image]

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Normally if it is grey that means it is on another sheet. This is mine, I imagine it is the same part
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=DN63-USA-03-2003-E39-BMW-540i&diagId=61_0940
Cigarette lighter socket
I had never looked on realoem before so I didn't know asbout this gray stuff.
Yours is better and seems to be the same part but it's not gray out.
09 Cigarette lighter socket 1 03/1997 61346914757 $10.68 ENDED
09 Cigarette lighter socket 2 POL. 1 03/1997 61346977679 $11.32

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 530i
2,263 Posts
Normally if it is grey that means it is on another sheet. This is mine, I imagine it is the same part
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=DN63-USA-03-2003-E39-BMW-540i&diagId=61_0940
Cigarette lighter socket
I suspect that socket is for the optional rear seat lighter. It doesn't appear similar to the socket in the front panel. See attached images. The back/underside view of the front console tray is poached from an ebay listing. The socket listing from Schmiedmann.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I suspect that socket is for the optional rear seat lighter. It doesn't appear similar to the socket in the front panel. See attached images. The back/underside view of the front console tray is poached from an ebay listing. The socket listing from Schmiedmann.
That could be, heaven knows we have seen weirder things lol.

Edit: you are probably right that it is for the rear. Forgot about the light ring, unless there is a weird surface connection for that it isn't inluded.

Ecs does have 61346977679 listed as being part of the center console.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/cigarette-lighter-socket/61346977679/

Plus it does seem to match the ecs center console unit... (edit) comparing the realoem drawing.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/front-center-storing-partition/51168159694/

1 - 20 of 24 Posts