·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
477 Posts
What about this?

"Select Sport and it instantly feels even more alive, not just beneath your backside and feet but at the tips of your fingers as well. And if you’re feeling truly in the mood there’s a Sport+ setting available in this model as well, which brings yet crisper responses from the steering, gearbox and throttle, and turns the traction control to a fruitier setting for good measure. ... Because be in no doubt, a new world leader has arrived – and it may take a while for the others to catch up."

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
It sounds like selecting sport mode tightens up the steering feel as well?

·
N54
3,427 Posts
What about this?

"Select Sport and it instantly feels even more alive, not just beneath your backside and feet but at the tips of your fingers as well. And if you're feeling truly in the mood there's a Sport+ setting available in this model as well, which brings yet crisper responses from the steering, gearbox and throttle, and turns the traction control to a fruitier setting for good measure. ... Because be in no doubt, a new world leader has arrived - and it may take a while for the others to catch up."
It sounds like selecting sport mode tightens up the steering feel as well?
Phew!

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
You can get crisp, tight steering response in any Japanese car.

My personal concern is whether that Germanic feel for the road is still transmitted to your hands. FWIW, this characteristic is not dependent on sport vs. comfort. The E39 (6 cyl models) had gobs of road feel.

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
Yes, but it also makes it fruitier. Not like a persimmon, more like a banana or kumquat. Seriously though, what does it mean to make a traction control system "fruitier"? Does it heighten or lessen the intrusiveness?
I think it must be a Brit term. ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
i get tons of sharp steering responses, road feel, and no traction control... watch out!! my technology is super out of date and it requires a true driver behind the wheel.

i know what bmw is trying to do, and i dont like it..

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Is this cause for concern?

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/BMW-3-Series-320d/260112/

"The steering of the 328i is so light and fingertip easy, the accelerator so delicate underfoot, the gearbox so smooth in its machinations, you almost feel like a passenger in the car as it wafts gracefully from one destination to the next."
This is what I've been predicting: each successive generation of the 3 Series sedan is bringing it closer to family sedan status and further away from sport sedan designation.

"The steering of the 328i is so light.... you almost feel like a passenger in the car."

Seems like with the F30, BMW may just have created the best family sedan out there.

As for me, assuming Autocar's review is confirmed, I will be looking elsewhere for my next car, as this kind of BMW sedan doesn't interest me. Sad.

·
Registered
179 Posts
This is what I've been predicting: each successive generation of the 3 Series sedan is bringing it closer to family sedan status and further away from sport sedan designation.

"The steering of the 328i is so light.... you almost feel like a passenger in the car."

Seems like with the F30, BMW may just have created the best family sedan out there.

As for me, assuming Autocar's review is confirmed, I will be looking elsewhere for my next car, as this kind of BMW sedan doesn't interest me. Sad.
Why take just that statement, and ignore this statement in the very next paragraph of the review?

"Select Sport and it instantly feels even more alive, not just beneath your backside and feet but at the tips of your fingers as well. And if you're feeling truly in the mood there's a Sport+ setting available in this model as well, which brings yet crisper responses from the steering, gearbox and throttle,.."

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Why take just that statement, and ignore this statement in the very next paragraph of the review?

"Select Sport and it instantly feels even more alive, not just beneath your backside and feet but at the tips of your fingers as well. And if you're feeling truly in the mood there's a Sport+ setting available in this model as well, which brings yet crisper responses from the steering, gearbox and throttle,.."
Well for one thing, I just get into my E90 and drive. Nothing to change. The steering's perfect.
Why change something that doesn't need to be changed? Why make driving more complicated under the guise of "high-tech"?

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Think of it the other way around: with every generation, BMW is bringing the qualities of the best sports sedan/coupe closer to use as a family sedan/coupe.
I've been saying for a long time on E9x that with each successive generation, the 3 Series is being gradually transformed from enthusiast's sport sedan of choice into an upscale family sedan with a bit of sport.

·
Super Moderator
8,103 Posts
I've been saying for a long time on E9x that with each successive generation, the 3 Series is being gradually transformed from enthusiast's sport sedan of choice into an upscale family sedan with a bit of sport.
Except all of the car magazines say it is the sport sedan of choice and is even better at this than the newer Audi A4. The e9X is still the standard and the reviews of the F30 seem to say that the new model is even better. You and others seem to dislike that there are added luxury and electronic features. These do not reduce the driving dynamics.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.