Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you didn't catch this 3-part episode of NOVA on PBS, you can now watch it on-line....It's an amazing look at "string theory", the quest for the mathematical basis to describe the origins and behavior of the entire universe, the predictions of parallel universes, and journeys across 11 dimensions.

You don't have to be a theoretical physicist to comprehend it, and it's very entertaining and informative viewing....who says there's nothing good on TV? :rolleyes:

Check it out... :thumbup: :)

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html

·
Ipsa scientia potestas es
3,886 Posts
___lk___ said:
If you didn't catch this 3-part episode of NOVA on PBS, you can now watch it on-line....It's an amazing look at "string theory", the quest for the mathematical basis to describe the origins and behavior of the entire universe, the predictions of parallel universes, and journeys across 11 dimensions.

You don't have to be a theoretical physicist to comprehend it, and it's very entertaining and informative viewing....who says there's nothing good on TV? :rolleyes:

Check it out... :thumbup: :)

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html
Is the answer 12?

·
Raoul Duke
12,582 Posts
BMWn00b said:
:thumbup::rofl:

... I am a HUGE Douglas Adams fan by the way...:D
Me too! Thanks to BEA I had the chance to see him for a keynote address shortly before he passed.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
I was thinking about this some more over the last day or so, and realized it actually ties in quite nicely with Alfred North Whitehead's ideas in his articulation of process philosophy.

Fascinating.

·
Awesome power!
4,851 Posts
Plaz said:
I was thinking about this some more over the last day or so, and realized it actually ties in quite nicely with Alfred North Whitehead's ideas in his articulation of process philosophy.

Fascinating.
DEEP! Wish I had time for that sort of stuff. Maybe someday.

·
fahrer
1,387 Posts
postoak said:
Common fooking sense, if you ask me. I'll have to read his paper before making a final determination (just pulled it down from cern), but don't see anything visionary from the synopsis presented. Looks more like a modern presentation of the paradoxes than anything else.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but initially the magic 8 ball says:
:thumbdwn:

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
bluer1 said:
Common fooking sense, if you ask me.
That is arguably the measure of a great vision. In retrospect, it does appear to be common sense. However, nobody was saying this previously.

It sheds a new light on all sorts of things, from the 2500 year old mathematical paradoxes cited, to Schroedinger's cat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts