BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Exhibit one...

2001 BMW 330 CIC hood in tit silver

Dawned, clayed, p21s shampooed, Absorber dried.
PC orbital, griot's machine polish #3 polished
PC orbital, griot's Best of Show waxed
Speedshined for good measure.

This paint is so smooth a day old baby's ass would appear rough by comparison.

So Sonet, here it is. Compare it to your ZZZZZAINNNOOO shot.

Pretty nice, huh? Glassy smooth. Crisp images. Good leaf shots. Notice the fine detail of the brick and basketball hoop. Also, at the bottom right, notice the difference in the depth of color and detail of the brick in the windshield. Holding up pretty well to your Zaino so far...

Now, exhibit #2

1998 General Motors Oldsmobile LSS. My wife's car. Hood in BLACK.

Polished once by a pig in winter, $200 for nothing.
Washed in a touchless wash, air dried, on Sat. evening (today's Mon.)
Rained on twice since then. Rainspots, dust, swirls, scratches and little if any wax left. Please observe...

Go figure. The color of the paint has everything to do with the depth of the reflection and photographs lie big time. I'll believe in Zaino when I hear it from Rip, as measured in microns of improvement, or when I see one in silver in the flesh, or metal as may be the case, next to mine.

All in good fun, of course.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
As nice as it is, I don't go for the reflection shots, especially on light-colored cars. My hood will look similarly perfect in a photo after 2 weeks of driving unless its being shot in a photo studio or something.

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Looks good johnlew. :thumb:

Chances are that not too many people would be able to tell the difference even in person unless the conditions were optimal though. Like Kaz said, it is pretty difficult to tell in pics... there are way too many variables (camera, lighting, angle, PHOTOSHOP heh) and the limitation of the light paint color doesn't help.

While on the subject, I have to say that I am rather disappointed with BMW's paint quality. I have noticed this on all BMW cars. The orange peel is a joke, and sometimes I swear I see blotches in the metallic when the sun is just right.

I rented a new Camary recently and the paint was totally flat - the way it is supposed to be. A $17,000 car should NOT have better paint than a $40,000 car IMHO. I realize that they are forced to use less-than-optimal paint in Germany due to government regulations put in place to 'protect the environment', but you would think they could do better than what they're doing - especially after charging extra for metallic paint!

Notice the orange peel in your pic... it should be hard to see close-up let alone from a distance like this shot was taken:

I don't mean to pick on your car, mine has it too! Your pic just happened to be a good example. :D

If I were planning on keeping my car I'd have it sprayed with clear and wet sanded - it makes a huge difference. Hopefully BMW gets things worked out before I get my M. ;)

--SONET

·
Registered
848 Posts
John,

Great comparison. You have provided a great lesson I will learn from. I simply need to sell all my Griot's stuff and just pay some pig once a year to detail my car. It will look as good as new!

For Sale:
Complete Griot's collection

Just kidding! Seriously good comparision and it goes to show you can't tell from pictures the quality of the job.

This weekend my car is a year old so it's getting the whole dawn/clay bar/polish/wax detail. I think I will take 2 half days to do it. :thumb:

·
Registered
848 Posts
SONET said:
Looks good johnlew. :thumb:

If I were planning on keeping my car I'd have it sprayed with clear and wet sanded - it makes a huge difference. Hopefully BMW gets things worked out before I get my M. ;)

--SONET
Yea I'm a little bummed about the paint quality. Not so much the orange peel, but the overall quality. I have a couple spots in my paint that have crazed (cracked). They are very minute, but it's one of those things I see. I know on the next one I'll go over it very close before accepting the car.

Anyway I will still keep the car as clean and shiney as possible!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Ripsnort said:
Looks good John! :thumbup:

Orange peel is a way of life with automated painting robots.
It's not just the robots, metal prep, and the changes to the paint itself (thanks a lot EPA:thumbdwn: and other government agencies) have made a perfect paint job a thing of the past.

Like Lee Iacocca said "we have to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? "

:bigpimp:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.