BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One day my instrument panel freaked, and showed the word "CodE" in the top left corner.

Only gauge operating is the speedometer. All lights, radio, A/C work fine, , car starts and runs fine, but computer displays CodE.

I have disconnected battery overnight, same problem. I disconnected the cluster itself, and hear the gears reset after reconnecting, I see the odometer and blank clock read for a second before starting, then it goes back to the CodE on the panel once I turn the key to the on position.

I have attached what I see. Anyone have any thoughts????

If i click the right odometer stalk, I can sometimes see it change the time on the radio, bit CodE remains displayed on the instrument panel.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Radio is working fine, and all presets are still working.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,977 Posts
Truly Odd.....:confused:

Does your car run? Are you getting a CEL? Do the gauges work properly?

·
The Boss of Nobody
3,695 Posts
I think it wants code for radio..But as far as I know, BMW E46 dont have coded radios.
Y'know my salesman mentioned a radio code to me when I bought the car, can't say I've ever needed one and I've removed the battery several times. Haven't pulled the unit out of the dash, but if that was it, everyone who did the HVAC relocate for a double DINN would know about it.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Y'know my salesman mentioned a radio code to me when I bought the car, can't say I've ever needed one and I've removed the battery several times. Haven't pulled the unit out of the dash, but if that was it, everyone who did the HVAC relocate for a double DINN would know about it.
Same and I have pulled the unit out of dash...
Nothing happens...

Is it possible he reset all OBC settings or something...and he needs some kind of code now?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car runs fine!!! Only gauge working seems to be the speedometer. When I start the car, all seems normal, but display shows that friggin CodE, and Tach sits dead, temp sits still, fuel sits still, fuel economy sits still, but speedometer moves along without a hitch. Turn signals working, all headlights, taillights working, and sounding normal. All OBC fuses are fine.

I am totally stumped. Do Clusters need to be coded?? Could it have lost its memory??

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Car runs fine!!! Only gauge working seems to be the speedometer. When I start the car, all seems normal, but display shows that friggin CodE, and Tach sits dead, temp sits still, fuel sits still, fuel economy sits still, but speedometer moves along without a hitch. Turn signals working, all headlights, taillights working, and sounding normal. All OBC fuses are fine.

I am totally stumped. Do Clusters need to be coded?? Could it have lost its memory??
Did you go into the cars secret OBC options and fiddle around?
Try testing the guage cluster...I can't really explain how to do it, but try search its around here.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,977 Posts

Weird. I would yank the battery for 15 minutes and see what happens. Can't hurt.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
There is no radio code. The cluster's memory (NVRAM) has been erased or become corrupted. You'll need to get the cluster recoded by a dealer or independent mechanic with the right computer.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,977 Posts
There is no radio code. The cluster's memory (NVRAM) has been erased or become corrupted. You'll need to get the cluster recoded by a dealer or independent mechanic with the right computer.
You are the master! I bow to your greatness sir! :thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suspect the latter, I have a buddy who works at a German auto shop, and I believe it will cost around $150 to re-code.

The testing mode does not work, I will hold the left button down and turn the key, and nothing but "CodE".. Battery was disconnected overnight, only difference is that if I hold the left button down before turning the key, it would show the odometer, as it should, then when i turn the key, it will show odometer, and the TEST 1 for a split second, then drop right to "Code"!!! GRRRRRR.. As KrisL said, sounds like the NVRAM got crapped on..

·
The Boss of Nobody
3,695 Posts
Wow!:bow:
Once again Kris pulls out the e46 minutia!

·
The Boss of Nobody
3,695 Posts
"there's an app for that"
I'm still waiting for a carsoft interface off the iPhone. That might make me leave verizon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great news guys!!

Took her into European Motor Cars in Alpharetta, GA, and after about 20 minutes of updates, got the computer, rather the firmware for the computer reflashed with the latest updates, and she's back to normal!! All computer functions are back, and the new firmware feels like a mod chip, car is a lot more spunky!!

Thanks for helping me troubleshoot this guys.

Also, the STealership said $125 just to look at it, then if its only a reflash, it would cost $250.

European Motor Cars did it for $100..

Anyone in North Georgia, take ur German machine to European Motor Cars, guys know their stuff, and won't rip you off!!!

Danno

1 - 19 of 19 Posts