Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i know that alot of ppl believe that the xi is a waste of money, and the car doesnt need it, it hurts performance and everything else that you have all read. But, I like in AK, and as you all know it snows here alot. Well, i have had the chance to drive the e90 w/o xi and with studded winter tires and e90s with xi, and the xi is by far better. I can get around in all conditions w/o winter tires, and do the speed limit if not more with out a problem. The xi it truely incredible. I was afraid that i made the mistake of ordering the xi as most will say that its a waste of money, but there is no comparison. If you live in a snowey area, i highly recommend the xi hands down. I have a 330xi and it is the best snow vehicle i have ever owned. Furthurmore, i can not tell the differance between xi and i on dry roads. The only down side that i can find, is that the xi sits up higher, but in snow, that is good, less bottoming out. So that is just my 2 cents. :thumbup:

·
Registered
357 Posts
I got the XI regardless of what others said, is my money and I think is worth it and thats all it matter.
I totally agree with you...the XI is :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I would get a xi too when I save enough to get one. I am buying a bimmer to race others. I just want a safe and smaller car that's fun to drive. Performance is not the main reason I pick the little Bimmer.

·
Registered
190 Posts
xi

readthis13 said:
Ok, so i know that alot of ppl believe that the xi is a waste of money, and the car doesnt need it, it hurts performance and everything else that you have all read. But, I like in AK, and as you all know it snows here alot. Well, i have had the chance to drive the e90 w/o xi and with studded winter tires and e90s with xi, and the xi is by far better. I can get around in all conditions w/o winter tires, and do the speed limit if not more with out a problem. The xi it truely incredible. I was afraid that i made the mistake of ordering the xi as most will say that its a waste of money, but there is no comparison. If you live in a snowey area, i highly recommend the xi hands down. I have a 330xi and it is the best snow vehicle i have ever owned. Furthurmore, i can not tell the differance between xi and i on dry roads. The only down side that i can find, is that the xi sits up higher, but in snow, that is good, less bottoming out. So that is just my 2 cents. :thumbup:
=======
I purchased a 325xi. We had a fairly good snowfall last evening. I needed to drive on quite snowy conditions for about 30 miles. I cannot say if the xi is better than my 2004 325i. However, I feel better with the xi and that is what counts. (I also put Michelin snow tires on - may be overkill - but I feel confident in the snow). Question - I have slightly under 5000 Klm on the vehicle. So far (I use MPG for figuring out gas mileage) getting about 28 to 29 miles per gallon on highway only, about 14 to 16 miles per gallon stricly in town - in town is sometimes less than 14. Sound correct?

·
Registered
27 Posts
>I feel better with the xi and that is what counts
Ditto. It's for peace of mind. I had my 2001 330i before I got my new 2006 330xi with Dunlop M3 winter tires, and it was handling fine. Although a couple of days/year, I was stuck and had to go to work late because the plougher didn't show up to plough the heavy snow. Deep down inside though, I still had that fear of driving a rear wheel drive car in the snow.

Now with XI and Dunlop M3, I FEEL so much at peace. The feeling is better than stocking up your 6 months savings for rainy days.

happy holidays!

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have not driven the Xi, but I have previously owned a VW Passat 4Motion, originally bought while we lived in Massachusetts, and currently have a Volvo S60 R, also with AWD. I can tell you that the Passat was great to have in New England, but it was less desirable down here in South Carolina. With no snow, the extra couple of hundred pounds of weight, plus the automatic transmission, added up to lethargic acceleration and not so good gas mileage. Tire replacement on a four at a time basis may also be a cost factor,although the VW was still getting by on its original tires at 49,000 miles when traded for the Volvo.

The Volvo uses AWD as a means of obtaining better handling, avoiding FWD torque steer and avoiding wheelspin. It would be great in the snow with the right tires, but is reputed to be helpless in the snow with its original equipment high performance summer tires.

AWD can be an incredible assist factor in the right climates. Down here in the Sun Belt, it loses much of its advantage. Our local BMW dealer has 27 E90's in stock, and none of them is an Xi ( I just checked). Bet they sell like hotcakes in Alaska.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
jelliotlevy said:
AWD can be an incredible assist factor in the right climates. Down here in the Sun Belt, it loses much of its advantage. Our local BMW dealer has 27 E90's in stock, and none of them is an Xi ( I just checked). Bet they sell like hotcakes in Alaska.
They sell like hotcakes in the Connecticut suburbs of NYC too. I see at least as many Xi sedans as regular sedans. You don't see too many wagons but every one I have seen is AWD. Most of the non Xi BMWs have snow tires of course. There are people who just leave he BMW at home in the winter too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My jag has AWD and dedicated allow wheels and snow tires.... it feels like a tank.. AWD WITH snow tires is a must in northern climates... if i were living in florida, i would have bought a nice RWD car of course....

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have an X3 and the x-drive seems to grip better on slippery, slushy roads than my RWD 325i. On dry roads, there is no noticeable difference.

For winter driving in Canada, I think the x-drive gives more piece of mind...

·
Registered
871 Posts
Right on, readthis13, the roads around here get a lot of blowing snow on them, that turns to slush and ice at different times of the day....xDrive is simply phenomenal in all these conditions. There is no pull to the right or the left when you hit a patch of slush or snow, the car just keeps going forward.

I could go on all day, but this isn't a marketing scheme by BMW, it's great engineering!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts