Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I leave my house last Friday morning and approach the intersection at the end of the cul de sac. Just as I get to the intersection there is a sharp "bloink" from my windshield. I also see a little kid (probably 7 or 8) standing on the corner. (schoolbus stop) I realize he hit my car with a rock. I'm mostly sure it was in the air as I pulled up, but he shouldn't be throwing rocks in the street anyway. So I back up and pull up to him and ask him a few times why he hit my car with a rock. He would look at me. Then he starts crying and says he didn't mean to. A guy walking his dog a block away is eyeing me like I'm going to cram this kid in the car and speed away so I pull away from the curb and turn around. Then I see a woman across the street walking to the side walk and realize that this is his mom. She wants to know what is going on. I tell her that her son just hit my car with a rock. she says he didn't mean to and was very apologetic. I tell her little kids do these kinds of things and don't worry about it. (feeling like a worm because I just made a little kid cry). Today I just noticed that the windshield was cracked at the very bottom, below the wiper on the passenger side. The crack grew up the windshield 3 or 4 inches so it is noticeable now. I think I am going to just take care of it myself. Am I a putz? I could make a stink, but I don’t know if it is really worth it.

·
5,820 Posts
munk330ci said:
So I leave my house last Friday morning and approach the intersection at the end of the cul de sac. Just as I get to the intersection there is a sharp "bloink" from my windshield. I also see a little kid (probably 7 or 8) standing on the corner. (schoolbus stop) I realize he hit my car with a rock. I'm mostly sure it was in the air as I pulled up, but he shouldn't be throwing rocks in the street anyway. So I back up and pull up to him and ask him a few times why he hit my car with a rock. He would look at me. Then he starts crying and says he didn't mean to. A guy walking his dog a block away is eyeing me like I'm going to cram this kid in the car and speed away so I pull away from the curb and turn around. Then I see a woman across the street walking to the side walk and realize that this is his mom. She wants to know what is going on. I tell her that her son just hit my car with a rock. she says he didn't mean to and was very apologetic. I tell her little kids do these kinds of things and don't worry about it. (feeling like a worm because I just made a little kid cry). Today I just noticed that the windshield was cracked at the very bottom, below the wiper on the passenger side. The crack grew up the windshield 3 or 4 inches so it is noticeable now. I think I am going to just take care of it myself. Am I a putz? I could make a stink, but I don’t know if it is really worth it.
You made your point, the kid got it, let insurance fix it.

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Although the parent is ultimately responsible, I wouldn't make them pay unless I couldn't afford it myself. Instead, if they live nearby, I think I would have the kid work a little for it. Considering his age, maybe an hour or two for two weekends or something, with one of his parents present. Have him mow the lawn or sweep the garage or something. He should have some sort of consequence for what he did, but obviously he can't pay for it himself.

That's what I did with a neighbor kid that shoved some sticks in a keyhole on my front gate (rendering the lock useless). I knew his mom couldn't afford to pay for the new lock and bringing someone out to fix it (single parent), so I had him 1) help me replace it (doesn't apply in your case), and 2) as a consequence do some work around my place to help me out. His mom thought this was a great way to deal with it, and I never had a problem with him again. A little responsiblity goes a long way...

--SONET

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
DougDogs said:
It's not worth it....sounds like the kid won't do something like that again.

Now it's time to look for a dumptruck, on the road, that has it's load uncovered. Get his plate, and call his insurance company. (at least, that's what people do here in NJ :dunno: )
... and people are worried the Soprano's make NJ look bad... :)

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
___lk___ said:

great idea, until the kid runs over his own foot w/ your "defective" lawn mower and you spend the next 3 years defending yourself against a multi-million dollar lawsuit with lawyers crawling into and out of ever orifice in your body looking for ways to further make your life a living hell.... all for a $500 non-rate-increasing comprehensive claim on your insurance policy :confused:
:lmao:
What a pathetic world we live in...

--SONET

·
The Darwinator.
529 Posts
See ER recently? Just don't have him trim the hedges with the mower.

Seriously, if your insurance company covers it, blow the money off. If you can come up with something nice and safe for the kid to do, great; otherwise assume his parent(s) took care of it.

I find it amazing mom was paying enough attention to come out when something was going on. Maybe there is hope. Wait...what am I thinking?

B.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input. The insurance will cover it for $100. Maybe its Karma. I did a whole lot worse when I was a kid.:angel:

·
fahrer
1,387 Posts
You didn’t make him cry – he managed that all on his own.

We have a rather large social problem in this country with people
not taking responsibility for their actions – at a minimum, I’d opt for
something similar to what Sonet suggests.
:mad:

I’d talk to the parents prior to calling the insurance company. If they’re
Receptive to having him “work it off” then just go ahead and file it. A couple
of weekends of missing out on riding bikes with his friend’s will teach a pretty
big life-lesson to the little person.
:thumbup:

·
Banned
9,903 Posts
DougDogs said:
Now it's time to look for a dumptruck, on the road, that has it's load uncovered. Get his plate, and call his insurance company. (at least, that's what people do here in NJ :dunno: )
Had to replace my front windshield about 3 months ago, just before my car was 1yo. Took a rock on the freeway that knocked a quarter-sized chip (or whatever you call that circular damage that occurs inside the glass between the layers) right in driver's center view.

At the time, there were several of those damn gravel-hauling trucks 4-5 cars in front of me, none of them covered (as they're supposed to be by law in Santa Clara County, CA -- universally ignored and unenforced), so I couldn't pin it on any one of them.

Cost me $750 at BMW for new, OEM glass.

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts