Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Daniel T
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Yesterday was a pretty hot day in Perth WA (38 degrees) and this is the first time in 5 years the car overheated...

Strangely enough the thermo fans are coming on lots and the oil temp gauge is not getting anywhere near 120 degrees but when it does the thermo fans come on and cool down as per usual.

Any ideas its an F10 535i

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Hi All,

Yesterday was a pretty hot day in Perth WA (38 degrees) and this is the first time in 5 years the car overheated...

Strangely enough the thermo fans are coming on lots and the oil temp gauge is not getting anywhere near 120 degrees but when it does the thermo fans come on and cool down as per usual.

Any ideas its an F10 535i

Thanks

Water pump?

·
Daniel T
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure but the heater still works well. It was warm today but the car didn’t overheat.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Not sure but the heater still works well. It was warm today but the car didn’t overheat.
How long was the drive?

Water pump is a common problem on these cars at 70,000 miles plus. Mine went on my 2012 535i at about 94,000 miles. How many miles you got?

·
Daniel T
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Saw a self diagnose video on YouTube so I performed the test. The video showed the pump just making that buzzing noise without pumping any water. Mine is making that buzzing noise then It’s pumps the water.

The test is performed by turning the car on without starting it, turn heater fan on to fan speed 1 and heat for max temp.

https://youtu.be/szu9IfNpYTc

·
Daniel T
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now this is weird I found another video of someone doing a bleed and the waterpump is making the same noise as mine

https://youtu.be/N6qkME07omM

·
Daniel T
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Car isn’t overheating anymore which is weird but the oil temperature gauge is sitting really low. The attached photo is 2 hrs of driving with the outside temp at 38 degrees C

·
Registered
247 Posts
I just hit the $75K miles mark and my fan started surging on/off randomly although it is only 30-degrees outside. I read all the posts here and am quite sure it’s time for the water pump/thermostat replacement. :(

Does a faulty water pump cause the “drivetrain malfunction” warning to come on? I was idling in the car for about 45min. last week and the warning came on. I drove home “moderately” and it has not come on since.

·
Daniel T
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just hit the $75K miles mark and my fan started surging on/off randomly although it is only 30-degrees outside. I read all the posts here and am quite sure it’s time for the water pump/thermostat replacement. :(

Does a faulty water pump cause the “drivetrain malfunction” warning to come on? I was idling in the car for about 45min. last week and the warning came on. I drove home “moderately” and it has not come on since.

I was getting the drivetrain malfunction warning until I changed the spark plugs now that has stopped. took the car into BMW and they said the water pump is cycling fine but they reported no faults at the time of test. I’m wondering if ESYS can show faults.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Does anyone know if it would be safe to drive the car short distances (<20mi.) until I can drop it off on Monday?

·
Daniel T
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone know if it would be safe to drive the car short distances (<20mi.) until I can drop it off on Monday?

If I'm to guess if its the spark plugs that is causing the drive fault it would be fine to drive as long as you don't put your foot down just nurse the car until you get it to the shops.

Do the water pump test; if you think its the water pump

Step 1: Turn the car on without starting it
Step 2: Turn the heater fan on the speed 1
Step 3: turn on the heater to the hottest setting in Australia the max is 28 degrees
Step 4: Press throttle for 10 seconds and listen to the water pump.

Normal working water pump should sound like -
High-speed pumping noise then it will slow down and start making a clicking sound followed by nothing then repeats full speed pumping. During that process its an idea to not have surging 'start, stop, start, stop etc etc. make sure to take the overflow cap off and don't open it when the car is hot it will spray boiling hot water at you which will be very dangerous do it when the car is cold and open with a clean cloth over the cap.

·
Daniel T
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi All,

The problem is discovered when I use the heater, The air con runs the car super smooth.

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts