Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I own a 2014 X1, s28i with 57K miles. I began receiving an intermittent "Service Engine Soon" light. I took it to a local AAAmco who diagnosed a P0597 code, suggesting I need a thermostat replacement. Wiggling the wires into the thermostat made the code go away. The car heats up fine, so I am wondering do I really need to replace the thermostat, or just the connectors?

Any help would really be appreciated. Is there a way to test the thermostat's integrity?

Thanks,

·
Northern BMW Fan
595 Posts
Take a look at the connector points. If you see any kind of dirt / rust / build up then it's the connectors. If they look clean then maybe thermostat.

I would do a thorough check, clear the code, and wait for it to come back (while keeping an eye on the temperature of course).

·
Sandlapper Chapter
2,912 Posts
I thought those models had a recall for the thermostat?

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
mine at 33000km (20,000 miles)

thermostat played up engine got heated very quickly

took the car in they replaced both pump and thermostat under warranty

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Also check the entire harness from the DME to the thermostat, just in case.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the SES light came back. I took it to a independent I trust. Now I have a second code, P0014, something to do with the Vanos. I still suspect its the thermostat electric cables, causing other faults.

·
Northern BMW Fan
595 Posts
So the SES light came back. I took it to a independent I trust. Now I have a second code, P0014, something to do with the Vanos. I still suspect its the thermostat electric cables, causing other faults.
Did the technician suggest what it could be?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
There are 42 different reasons for the P0014 code in ISTA for your car everything from DME to ABS and in between and VANOS is only one of them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So we replaced the thermostat. The mechanic thought all the wires and connectors looked fine. He thought the sensor on the thermostat or the unit itself was failing. No codes so far. Fingers crossed they don't come back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So we replaced the thermostat. The mechanic thought all the wires and connectors looked fine. He thought the sensor on the thermostat or the unit itself was failing. No codes so far. Fingers crossed they don't come back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do you know the part number of the new thermostat? As far as I know the thermostat for the N20 (latest revision is 11538635689) is back ordered and there no new one available. I'm waiting since April 23 and the information SA gave me is 5 to 10 weeks for replacement.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
took me 5 weeks for part to come

they temporarily put an used one for me to drive till new parts arrive

1 - 14 of 14 Posts