Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know I need to replace the thermostat housing on my car. Now I am a broke college student who isn't an idiot when it comes to working on my car, but does anyone know a DIY for replacing it? Or should I just shell out the $ and be broke? :dunno:

·
Registered
598 Posts
chicano36 said:
So I know I need to replace the thermostat housing on my car. Now I am a broke college student who isn't an idiot when it comes to working on my car, but does anyone know a DIY for replacing it? Or should I just shell out the $ and be broke? :dunno:
what year is the car. if it's pre facelift then it is just cheapo plastic housing, it comes
with gasket but if you're there i would think about replacint the thermostat and
the pump if any doubt.

it is convenient to ditch the viscous fan, then take off the hoses, four screws (AFAIR) and
you;re done. Next you have to bleed the system out of the air and this is actually the
most difficult part as M52 is difficult to get the air out.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you want to do whats best for the car, you should do the full, Thermostat...Housing...Waterpump...Hoses install. If you just want to save time & money and just fix whats wrong you need to get a new thermostat housing and gasket. If you can spare an extra $25 then get a new thermostat and thermostat gasket as well because it may save your ass later. Its pretty straightforward and you don't really need to remove the fan like some people may suggest. You will lose some Antifreeze so get some of that for the refill. You'll need to remove the hose that goes from the thermostat housing to the radiator, and remove the bolts on the thermostat housing itself...thats it. Just pop in the new thermostat, then the gasket, then the housing (with new gasket). Then refill your lost antifreeze and bleed the air. You can find the bleeding procedure on here if you search, if not then email me and i'll explain if you don't already know.

·
Registered
598 Posts
ahspao said:
If you want to do whats best for the car, you should do the full, Thermostat...Housing...Waterpump...Hoses install. If you just want to save time & money and just fix whats wrong you need to get a new thermostat housing and gasket. If you can spare an extra $25 then get a new thermostat and thermostat gasket as well because it may save your ass later. Its pretty straightforward and you don't really need to remove the fan like some people may suggest. You will lose some Antifreeze so get some of that for the refill. You'll need to remove the hose that goes from the thermostat housing to the radiator, and remove the bolts on the thermostat housing itself...thats it. Just pop in the new thermostat, then the gasket, then the housing (with new gasket). Then refill your lost antifreeze and bleed the air. You can find the bleeding procedure on here if you search, if not then email me and i'll explain if you don't already know.
While i didn't actually say that it is NEEDED to remove the fan, wiggling the thermostat
housing out is much easier with no fan in there. C'mon, it is just one nut...! And it
actually saves time.

Not to mention, that it reduces future chances of the widely discussed visco getting bad
(wobbling, clutch freezing, etc).

Plus, i always like to do things on my car "by the book", and especially, for an
unexperienced DIYer that is the most obvious way to go to avoid damage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts