Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My check engine light came on recently and a mechanic said I am going to need a new thermostat and the housing for it as well as coolant. He said it cost $340 for it to get fixed. Is that a reasonable price or should it be cheaper? Also does anyone have a link to a DIY video or page and a website where to buy the parts because I might just do it myself. Also how hard is this fix? Please don't tell me to use the search button. Any help and suggestions is appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Here is basic kit for $300
http://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW_Cooling_System_Refresh_Kit_p/e46coolrefrkit.htm

Depending what cooling parts were replaced before, you might need more or less parts.
Personally, I think DIY is very easy, but me and my dad have been doing all the maintenance ourselves.
Jack up the car, drain, remove electric fan and expansion tank, in the process disconnect the hoses, take out water pump and thermostat, and install new parts in reverse order.
Note, in the process you might find that the car has bad belt, bearing, pulley, tensioner, etc. The shop might not tell you about it, but if you DIY then you sure will notice it.

Edit: Forgot DIY link http://www.bmw330ci.net/maintenance/completecoolant.php

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
e46 wiki has info too. Not hard at all. Make sure you bleed it right.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,901 Posts
Takes me 30 minutes to replace a Tstat. www.oembimmerparts.com is all you need to know. I have some videos on my youtube page, but not showing removing the Tstat, only re-installing it. Might be worth checking out.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The first thing you should have learned after buying a BMW is to never replace only one cooling part. I'd spend the $300, do it yourself and replace everything and be confident that you're good for 3-4 years. Otherwise, you will be throwing money at it for quite awhile.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the information. Does anyone have a DIY of possibly changing the whole cooling system since its recommended to do the whole thing?

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Thanks for all the information. Does anyone have a DIY of possibly changing the whole cooling system since its recommended to do the whole thing?
wiki. help yourself!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes good point, the white are best. Right now they are out of stock of many sizes in the white.

I also use microfiber towels, they work great.
Cool! A sense of accomplishment for sure :) I just did mine a few weeks ago and glad I did. Not a difficult job for most anybody that can use basic tools and follow directions and/or search YouTube! Congratulations

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool! A sense of accomplishment for sure :) I just did mine a few weeks ago and glad I did. Not a difficult job for most anybody that can use basic tools and follow directions and/or search YouTube! Congratulations

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Thank you! Its definitely nice having the extra cash in my pocket as well

1 - 11 of 11 Posts