BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 2004 M3 stolen from my parking garage at work. I had it less than a month and had SAT radio and I pod put in at the BMW dealer in Decatur GA (ATLANTA). 3 Business days late I am walking out of my office (11:00pm) to my reserved spot and my car was gone. I take a second and realized I parked it there this afternoon, I look down and I’m standing on what used to be my window. Come to find out after talking to the valet and building security the thief smashed in the parking garage gate with a stolen BLAZER and went straight to my ride. The valet approached the man and a gun was shown and valet leaves and proceeds to block the gate in which he smashed, after almost running down building security he realizes the gate was blocked ---smashes my car though the exit gate and gets away. I have had a month to drive a crappie rent a car and think about the whole situation. Can the car be hot wired was there a spare key did the dealership have something to do with it, how long were they following me around. When it comes down to it I’m glad I didn't take a bullet or walk out while it was happening it is just a car. Yes the insurance tried to low ball me but I stuck to my guns and they finally gave me what I deserves so I am now shopping for a new one.

Please let me know if you have any similar situations or ideas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,150 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear about your experience.

Seems that the person who stole your car knew the car and its location so it most likely is someone who may work in the same building.

Did you have the alarm installed?

Did you let your dealer know?
 

·
This side up.
Joined
·
557 Posts
Sorry about the loss. Be thankful that no one got hurt and that you have insurance. Cars can always be replaced. Maybe you've got a second chance to get a car you want after driving your new one for a few days. Now's the time to swap options and such (or even models) if there were things that bugged you in the brief time you had it in your possession.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wheel-man said:
Wow, sorry to hear about your experience.

Seems that the person who stole your car knew the car and its location so it most likely is someone who may work in the same building.

Did you have the alarm installed?

Did you let your dealer know?
Yes had full alarm, motion tilt everything--the dealership said that "it was not them" but after doing a little digging i found out they busted the shop guys a few months ago swithcing out rims for non bent and better rubber.
 

·
Ik hou van Holland...
Joined
·
5,226 Posts
Lowjack...:rolleyes: You cannot prevent that from happening... are you going to replace the car with a new M3 or something different...?
I am considering trading my Touring for an M3 next year February and I really hope they don't steal the car... :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
I thought about my BMW being stolen..Considering the horrible exsperience I had in Ca.. in which my Honda was broken into 6 times and then later finally stolen..And is the exact reason why I stored BMW Assist's number on my cell phone.. So that within a timeframe of how long it takes a crook to disassemble the navigation, I might be fortunate enough to have Assist call in the police and give them coordinates/position.. A couple of things that I have learned though:
-install your own alarm systems(if possible)stragegically hiding alarm components.... a thief knows how installer install them and knows where the weak points are..
-A couple of Lojack stickers on the windows will deter some thiefs but not all..regardless if you have it or not...

I always wanted to imbed a shotgun shell into my steering wheel..that would fire off if the car was ever started after intrusion...You could justify it by putting "lethal security alarm installed" stickers on the windows...

I truly hate thieves..And think their punishment should be far greater..
 

·
Rest in peace, Coach
Joined
·
9,106 Posts
How's that even possible? Without a key they can not start the car. And even if they were to obtain a key, no dealership will be able to order a key without your expressed authorization and a VIN. Even with that, you will need two forms of valid identification as the OWNER of the vehicle stated on the purchase agreement just to ORDER the key.

Do you still have all three keys that comes with the car? If so I can't see how they could have possibly started the car.
 

·
Spelling Impaired
Joined
·
5,658 Posts
The HACK said:
How's that even possible? Without a key they can not start the car. And even if they were to obtain a key, no dealership will be able to order a key without your expressed authorization and a VIN. Even with that, you will need two forms of valid identification as the OWNER of the vehicle stated on the purchase agreement just to ORDER the key.

Do you still have all three keys that comes with the car? If so I can't see how they could have possibly started the car.
He mentioned a valet...I wonder if they stole the key, or it was an inside job and the valet gave up the key :dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
Desertnate said:
He mentioned a valet...I wonder if they stole the key, or it was an inside job and the valet gave up the key :dunno:
True...sounds a little fishy..

I'd ask close by dealerships, if they've had anyone looking for blank keys and would interigate the valet...

I'd also try to get the valet to try to identify(after interigating) the thief...Surely a thief with the gawl to do something that dramatic, would have some sort of rap sheet...

Most car thiefs do not target such vehicles..They know that there is always a chance of getting caught..So they shoot for cheaper cars(also easier to start), so that the sentence will not be so stern...Which would trigger a thought:
1) The thief is a novice to pull off something like that and go running into gates, dropping street value..Like glass, hood, bumpers, etc..
2) If the valet wasn't in on it, then just how novice is he(BMW serviceman) to hot wire a car as such without a key..

Being that there was a valet..wouldn't the garage be somewhat responsible? I would definately think it would be worth coming down on them, for hope for better security...like spike strips...
 

·
Rest in peace, Coach
Joined
·
9,106 Posts
Desertnate said:
He mentioned a valet...I wonder if they stole the key, or it was an inside job and the valet gave up the key :dunno:
If the valet is in on it, why bother smashing the gate? :dunno:

And wouldn't he notice right away that they key is missing? Also he's got a reserved parking spot, I'm not sure but that usually means you get to park yourself, no?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The HACK said:
If the valet is in on it, why bother smashing the gate? :dunno:

And wouldn't he notice right away that they key is missing? Also he's got a reserved parking spot, I'm not sure but that usually means you get to park yourself, no?
The reseved spot is where i park my car (myself) the valet uses our garage for a restaraunt in our building(chops) who witnessed the theif smash the gate down. the valet never had any keys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,131 Posts
The HACK said:
How's that even possible? Without a key they can not start the car. And even if they were to obtain a key, no dealership will be able to order a key without your expressed authorization and a VIN. Even with that, you will need two forms of valid identification as the OWNER of the vehicle stated on the purchase agreement just to ORDER the key.

Do you still have all three keys that comes with the car? If so I can't see how they could have possibly started the car.
When I got my CPO car from the dealer, they only had one key for it. A week later they had a new "fob" key as well as a plastic emergency one. They never asked me to sign anything, etc. but then again I wasn't coming in after the fact looking for one.
As for what happened here, I'm confused too. I would think the latest immobilizer technology in BMW's (and most other cars) would prevent the casual hotwiring of a car. Secondly, why would someone steal a M3 except for a joyride, in which case it would be found within hours. There's just not much market for them, most stolen cars are very common such as Ford and Chevy trucks, Honda Civics, etc. Does smack of an insider job somehow, like someone wanted your car specifically and had the means to get a key for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
SofaKing said:
The reseved spot is where i park my car (myself) the valet uses our garage for a restaraunt in our building(chops) who witnessed the theif smash the gate down. the valet never had any keys.
Well that pretty much takes the valet off the hit list..So now, maybe he could identify the thief at the police station...right?

I know that higher populated area's police will not usually go above and beyond to find the thief or your car..But we are talking about a car of around 50k + value...

I think this has got to be the craziest car theft I've ever heard of..He busted down a gate with a stolen turd (blazer)to get in..(A-Team style) jumped out busted your window, hot wired a 50k+ car, and smashed down the gate to get out..And doing all of this while armed....Geez what is this world coming to..

When I had my Honda broken into, the steering column was destroyed..And when I road with the toe truck driver to the dealer, he said that most thieves will walk away from a car with the brake peddle lock on it..He also said that he held the record for his company at the fastest to break the Club from a steering wheel... :dunno:

I still ilke my shot gun shell idea.. :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
SofaKing,
sorry to hear about the loss but glad to hear your insurance is paying up. Any security cameras in the garage to help ID the thief?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,156 Posts
Desertnate said:
He mentioned a valet...I wonder if they stole the key, or it was an inside job and the valet gave up the key :dunno:
If he valeted the car, he would have to go to the valet first and get his keys, not go to the parking spot to just stand there without a way to get it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
The main reason M3's (and Subi WRX etc) get knicked in Aust is to use immediately in a smash and grab robbery. Gotta admit, it is a pretty good gettaway car. Did the cops check out local robberies that night?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
860 Posts
I don´t buy the story. If the car was driven away, the thieve either

1. Had a Key - no need to smash in a window. Just walk up silently to the car, get in an drive away

or

2. Was a real pro who had the equipment and know-how and a spare ecu. Due to the immobilizer, you cannot just hot-wire a E46 and drive away. You at least have to open the hood and change the ECU to a prepped one. Also you need to disable the steering wheel lock AND hot-wire it. Compared to that effort, opening the E46 door without damage is a piece of cake, so again, he wouldn´t smash the window.

That´s a nice little short-story writen for the drama. (a villain (thieve), Danger (Gun), Action (breaking throuhg a barrier), a hero (valet), heartbrake (a NEW M3), and a victim (owner)). And it´s the right crowd (BMW-Lovers). And the author is on his only fourth post.

Lottsa hollywood there :thumbdwn:
 

·
I love my beautiful wife.
Joined
·
2,151 Posts
tierfreund said:
I don´t buy the story. If the car was driven away, the thieve either

1. Had a Key - no need to smash in a window. Just walk up silently to the car, get in an drive away

or

2. Was a real pro who had the equipment and know-how and a spare ecu. Due to the immobilizer, you cannot just hot-wire a E46 and drive away. You at least have to open the hood and change the ECU to a prepped one. Also you need to disable the steering wheel lock AND hot-wire it. Compared to that effort, opening the E46 door without damage is a piece of cake, so again, he wouldn´t smash the window.

That´s a nice little short-story writen for the drama. (a villain (thieve), Danger (Gun), Action (breaking throuhg a barrier), a hero (valet), heartbrake (a NEW M3), and a victim (owner)). And it´s the right crowd (BMW-Lovers). And the author is on his only fourth post.

Lottsa hollywood there :thumbdwn:
Exactly.

The story is SofaKing ridiculous.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top