BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Things stuck down windscreen vent

7335 Views 7 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  DSXMachina
Hi, new to site but have had a good look through to see if there is an answer to this.... sadly not but good useful site.

QUESTION : My child has put loads of coins down the top middle dash windscreen vent. i took the cover off but then it goes into two 1.5" holes that then go somewhere.
Does anyone know if firstly should i be worried if i leave them there they could do more damage
secondly how to get them out as i cant see how to access the vents from below..... i turned the heater on gently the other day and pressed the window windscreen vent buttons all seemed to work ok i just heard all the coins clonking further down the pipes.

it seems to still work fine just dont want to cause more damage by leaving them there.

any advice greatly received.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
I do not envy your situation. Sadly there is no easy way to access this. Your going to have to tear into the dash and access the air vent systems. As for the coins doing damage, depending on the size of British coins, it could potentially clog the ducts and that would not be a good thing. Try realoem.com to access a parts diagram for the ventilation system. It may be useful. Good Luck!
Thank you o wise and mighty FSM for having blessed me with a wonderful wife who didn't want children.
My child has put loads of coins down the top middle dash windscreen vent.
If it was me I'd invest in a magnetic pick-up tool, you probably need to find one that is flexible, and try to DIY it.
Even if cost wasn't a issue, I'm not sure I would want the to dealer pulling the dash out.
Hi, new to site but have had a good look through to see if there is an answer to this.... sadly not but good useful site.

QUESTION : My child has put loads of coins down the top middle dash windscreen vent. i took the cover off but then it goes into two 1.5" holes that then go somewhere.
Does anyone know if firstly should i be worried if i leave them there they could do more damage
secondly how to get them out as i cant see how to access the vents from below..... i turned the heater on gently the other day and pressed the window windscreen vent buttons all seemed to work ok i just heard all the coins clonking further down the pipes.

it seems to still work fine just dont want to cause more damage by leaving them there.

any advice greatly received.
Ramen to that!!
Thank you o wise and mighty FSM for having blessed me with a wonderful wife who didn't want children.
Uh, last time I checked coins are not magnetic. :confused: Don't think this will help much.
If it was me I'd invest in a magnetic pick-up tool, you probably need to find one that is flexible, and try to DIY it.
Even if cost wasn't a issue, I'm not sure I would want the to dealer pulling the dash out.
The U.S. did mint steel pennies during the second world war, but I doubt any of those made it into the car unless they came out of someone's collection!
Righto, not even British coins.

OP, the coins may end up in the bottom of the plenum. If so one of two things will happen. Either the coins will jam the temperature blend door or the door will just clear the coins and you will have no problem. The second scenario is the most likely. I have never had to remove coins to free up a mechanism. Pens, yes, lots. Crucifixes, yes. Peanuts and other food items, yes.
You'll probably be OK, don't worry about it.
(The coins can't get to the fan because the AC evaporator forms a very effective filter and the fan [blower] is on the other side of it.)
Uh, last time I checked coins are not magnetic. :confused: Don't think this will help much.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.