BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am packing my bag for the 2004 ED trip, I thought of couple things I usually pack into my luggage for the trip that I find helpful.

1) Bathroom tissues: Don't laugh, :p but The EU hotels tend to use the type of toilet paper that is equivalent of our "brown paper bag" quality. :eeps:

2) Cup of Noodle: Come in handy if don't want to go out after a full day. And you can crash and goto sleep afterward.

Feel free to add on you list and I will make this a sticky.

thnx

beewang :bigpimp:
 

·
mmm... carbs!
Joined
·
3,055 Posts
Bee, when are you going to be there? I'm arriving Munich on 10/6 and picking up on 10/8.

I'm packing a flashlight and umbrella. I travel ultra-light. I wear one change of clothes, and I pack one. I do laundry in the sink at night and my clothes are fast drying, so they are ready to wear/pack the next morning.

I'm also packing some snacks for the flight because the airline food is sometimes inedible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
More general travel things but none the less...

Noise Canceling headphones - Airline ones aren't good generally.
Change of clothes in carryon bag - Hope your luggage gets there. :cry:
Water - Airlines are getting pretty stingy these days and I can go through 2 liters on an 8 hour flight.
Mt. Dew. - You know they don't have it in Europe? :mad:
 

·
Using SPF 45
Joined
·
3,672 Posts
  1. German (and other countries) phrase book
  2. Good maps
  3. Phone card for dialing back to US
  4. ATM card and list of ATM locations that are free
  5. Comfortable walking shoes that aren't sneakers
  6. Ziploc bags for keeping stuff dry (or wet)
  7. Jackknife (checked bag only, of course)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Tanning machine said:
  1. German (and other countries) phrase book
  2. Good maps
  3. Phone card for dialing back to US
  4. ATM card and list of ATM locations that are free
  5. Comfortable walking shoes that aren't sneakers
  6. Ziploc bags for keeping stuff dry (or wet)
  7. Jackknife (checked bag only, of course)
Tanning machine-

List of ATM locations that are free- where does one get it? Would you happen to have a list to share with us? or a website?
I'm interested in seeing a list for the following cities-
Munich (of course)
Venice
Milan
Innsbruck
....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
directcj said:
Tanning machine-

List of ATM locations that are free- where does one get it? Would you happen to have a list to share with us? or a website?
I'm interested in seeing a list for the following cities-
Munich (of course)
Venice
Milan
Innsbruck
....
Why not bring some cash and use visa for all others ? Is there a problem using credit card in EU ?
 

·
Using SPF 45
Joined
·
3,672 Posts
directcj said:
Tanning machine-

List of ATM locations that are free- where does one get it? Would you happen to have a list to share with us? or a website?
I'm interested in seeing a list for the following cities-
Munich (of course)
Venice
Milan
Innsbruck
....
Check with your bank to see if they have an arrangement with any eurobanks, and then go from there. Some are all over the place, like DeutscheBank, with whom BofA has a relationship.
 

·
mmm... carbs!
Joined
·
3,055 Posts
Chagahan said:
Why not bring some cash and use visa for all others ? Is there a problem using credit card in EU ?
Agreed. That's what I do, even here in the US. I honestly don't understand the purpose of ATM cards. People take out $10 at a time and visit them every day. I keep some cash in the house, and always keep a couple of hundred in my wallet. I've never had a need for an ATM.
 

·
Using SPF 45
Joined
·
3,672 Posts
Chagahan said:
Why not bring some cash and use visa for all others ? Is there a problem using credit card in EU ?
Sure, but it's a lot more expensive to go to the bank here and buy euros than to stick in an ATM card, and then you have to get enough cash for an entire trip adn carry it with you. Definitely use CCs as much as possible, but I'd still want access to an ATM. But, hey, it's just a list. No one says you have to bring a map either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Tanning machine said:
Sure, but it's a lot more expensive to go to the bank here and buy euros than to stick in an ATM card, and then you have to get enough cash for an entire trip adn carry it with you. Definitely use CCs as much as possible, but I'd still want access to an ATM. But, hey, it's just a list. No one says you have to bring a map either.
Note that US credit card companies now charge a nuisance conversion fee that adds up to $1-2 for every $100 converted. Getting $$$ out of a foreign ATM is a relative bargain. It all depends on how much you intend to spend, how anal you are about finances, or how less money you have now that you've purchased your Bimmer. :)
 

·
mmm... carbs!
Joined
·
3,055 Posts
PHXEd said:
Note that US credit card companies now charge a nuisance conversion fee that adds up to $1-2 for every $100 converted. Getting $$$ out of a foreign ATM is a relative bargain. It all depends on how much you intend to spend, how anal you are about finances, or how less money you have now that you've purchased your Bimmer. :)
I've never heard of that. I've heard that in the past it is best to use your credit card, since you get just about the best exchange rate available. I'll have to call and check it out.

Just called, and yes, there is a charge. It equates to a total of 3% (at least for MC and Citibank combo).
 

·
In Driving Heaven
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
Skybum said:
You won't need the flashlight. Your car comes with one.
And a pretty poor one at that. :thumbdwn: There were times on my trip I wished I had a flashlight, like when I was cleaning the car in a modestly lit garage in Vienna.
 

·
In Driving Heaven
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
xspeedy said:
I've never heard of that. I've heard that in the past it is best to use your credit card, since you get just about the best exchange rate available. I'll have to call and check it out.

Just called, and yes, there is a charge. It equates to a total of 3% (at least for MC and Citibank combo).
Yup, the US banks caught on that it was really advantageous to use a credit card to get money overseas and saw fit to put an end to that. :rolleyes:

Traveler's cheques, perhaps? :dunno:

And I agree with Beewang on the TP. Not sure why they use that stuff they do in Germany, but I can only hope it's for some good reason like the environment. :yikes:
 

·
mmm... carbs!
Joined
·
3,055 Posts
I just got a temporary check card from my bank. Supposedly, there are no extra fees if I use Deutsche Bank ATMs in Germany. But I can't seem to fid a list of the locations :confused:
 

·
In Driving Heaven
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
xspeedy said:
I just got a temporary check card from my bank. Supposedly, there are no extra fees if I use Deutsche Bank ATMs in Germany. But I can't seem to fid a list of the locations :confused:
Try this link. It seems to show Deutsche Bank locations, although I'm not sure that "self-service outlet" means there's an ATM.
 

·
mmm... carbs!
Joined
·
3,055 Posts
Thanks for the link! I found a similar device after I figured out that the bank itself is called "Bank 24".

Your link is better as it tells you what each facility has - for example "Cash Station".
 

·
weissbiermeister
Joined
·
1,256 Posts
I would also reccommend...
-sponge, small amt. of soap and a microfiber towel to clean your ED car.
-Ambien, Sonata, Melatonin or other sleep-med.
-sleeping mask and earplugs (for your flight).

It is great to have CD's for your car. I burned about 100 downloads from iTunes before we went and I still think of places on our trip when I hear those songs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
This has been discussed before but some issuers (like MBNA) does not add its %. So you only end up paying MC/Visa charges. It's still bettter exchange rate than bringing USD and exchanging it at a local exchange place.
ATMs work great in Europe. Banks over there do not charge additional fees for using their ATMs. Your US bank will charge you something, usually couple bucks so all in all it is the best way to getting cash in Europe in terms of practicality/availability/economy.
 

·
Jayhawk Fan
Joined
·
1,834 Posts
The guidebooks (Rick Steves) were invaluable. Saved so much time on what to do and where to go.
 
1 - 20 of 128 Posts
Top