BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I crazy? Gas and maintenance are getting to me, still haven't fixed my oil leak...every time I take a long trip I have the trunk filled with oil, coolant, distilled water, a new radiator, socket set, and duct tape.

This thing feels like a ticking time bomb. Yesterday I took a trip from Chicago to Indianapolis (with the trunk full of that crap) and I'm like paranoid as hell. I've had just about every sensor replaced on this thing, radiotor expansion tank, gaskets etc...and stuff just keeps breaking (i'm at 69K miles)...whenever an alert chime goes off, I'm just like "OH **** here we go again"....it was like 10 pm last night and the chime went off...luckily it was just "washer fluid low" and not "coolant level low" followed by steam etc....

So anyway, back on topic - my folks down in Indy just got a VW beetle 5 sp manual turbo diesl (45 MPG)...and it was soooooo much fun to drive...under the hood looks fairly simple...very peppy...so there you have it...

I love the torque of the 540, but the 16MPG and maintence costs are a killer...I still have a shimmy I haven't solved yet either....so thats my story...

Any comments...like "keep it you idiot"? I'm pretty sure I could trade this think in even on a 2002 or 2003 bug with between 20 - 40 K miles...

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,707 Posts
gyeah99 said:
Any comments...like "keep it you idiot"? I'm pretty sure I could trade this think in even on a 2002 or 2003 bug with between 20 - 40 K miles...
Yes, but then you'd be drivin a convertible bug. :gay: Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Seriously, though. The things you've mentioned are easy fixes. Suspension pieces, new radiator, and a couple of new water hoses behind the engine block for the coolant leak no one can ever find. If you're paranoid about the radi, replace it. You'll be good for another 45K. Everything except the fuel economy.

If you've got your foot in the 540 enough to only see 16MPG (my boosted 540 gets 20), you won't see 45MPG in a diesel bug either.

·
Registered
641 Posts
x2 on the repairs and concerns. the issues are rather simple fixes. i get 20 mpg on my 540 as well. If your driving habit gets you 16 mpg...you will not get the 45 in the bug. If I were in your shoes to make that decision... I would keep the 5. but that is me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PropellerHead said:
Yes, but then you'd be drivin a convertible bug. :gay: Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Wise guy:rofl: I did feel a bit feminie while driving it yesterday, I'll get a black or something and put some manly wheels on it or some crap....

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
A VW Bug for a 540i? Is that really what you're considering... am I missing something here?

:confused:

:loco:

:nono:

:slap:

:spank:

:behead:

Such blasphamey will not be take'n lightly. :flame:

:p

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
From a 540 to a VW bug. :dunno:

Now I have heard everything. :eek:

Might I suggest something more respectable like an Acura RSX :dunno:

Granted the Acura does not have a flower holder. However, I am sure you can go to a craft store and fashion something similar. :rofl:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
gyeah99 said:
Wise guy:rofl: I did feel a bit feminie while driving it yesterday, I'll get a black or something and put some manly wheels on it or some crap....
My Chicago friend, Manly wheels on it won't change the fact it is a BUG! :eek: :tsk:
I don't think the wheels will change how you are viewed by guys :p :eek: :eeps: :tsk: :slap: :stickpoke :bustingup :amish:

I say Keep the 540!!! ;)

·
Stimulus Package
4,245 Posts
Well, my dad recently gave up his 1995 540 for a Chevy Silverado pickup. :dunno:

I don't think his gas mileage has improved, though.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Atleast it's German. Personally I wouldn't buy a Diesel car. Only due to the recent talk about what the future of diesel is.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Check with a local towing company. VW's and Audi's are one of the most towed vehicles. But with that being said the deisel will get better mileage but why did you buy the 540? Was is for the torque or the ride? I think the bettle novalty will wear off quickly. Do you have the extended warranty on the 540? I would just get the fixes done and not worry so much as what CAN happen and just and enjoy the bimmer.

·
Livin' like Larry!
8,850 Posts
They can be made to look cool... :eeps: But you'll be harassed by every Honda Civic you encounter, and what with the Diesel, you'll be toast... That being said, my sister has a diesel New Beetle and has been quite happy with it as a commuter vehicle... I can't imagine it would have similar smiles per gallon as a 540 though... :dunno:

·
Hawks RULE!
1,166 Posts
Ummm- it's not really German, other than it's name.
Designed in California.
Built in Mexico.

Heck yeah- they CAN be made to look cool!

Fried Rice Anyone?
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Volkswagen new beetle Motor vehicle

Thuper Pretty in Pink:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Volkswagen new beetle

And as for that diesel lag problem? Add an afterburner to the accessory engine:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Supercar

If I see you around Chicago. I may laugh (to myself)... but only a little. :rofl:

-Cago

·
in HIS hands :)
1,730 Posts
PropellerHead said:
If you've got your foot in the 540 enough to only see 16MPG (my boosted 540 gets 20), you won't see 45MPG in a diesel bug either.
prop,

you're getting 20????? that means you're NOT stepping on the gas pedal at all!!! i guess i need to recalc mine. when i have fun i think it's 10 mpg!!!

(sorry for the threadjack, gyeah99)

but, to add some comments to what has been already said - in the end, if it makes YOU happy, then do it. but chk your reasons for doing so. anytime we buy a used car, even your bug, having not known how it was maintained, there is no guarantee the same things bugging you now wont happen. unless, of course, you buy a used toyota!!! (i have one - for when BOTH my stupid bimmers are in the shop. it HAS happened a few times.)

selling a car simply bec of the mileage is generally not a good financial idea - considering the depreciation hit on the current car being sold, the lower balance you owe on the 540, to name a few. the bug may be more economical, but here are some numbers...

45mpg-16mpg=29 mpg diff. say you drive the average of 1500 miles a month, with gas at $3.50/gallon.

the 540 will cost you $329/mo, while the bug will cost $117/mo. factor in the new payment which will extend your years of car payments and the hit on the trade...it's really not worth doing.

the other factor i've advised clients is to remind them ,as a few have here, that 'wear and tear' issues are not good reasons for dumping a car. the best i've heard..true story...

client: jack - thinking of selling the car.
jack: why?
client: it's beginning to have some real problems.
jack: like what?
client: i was told it needs new tires! :rofl:

so :supdude: keep the 540. you dont even need manly wheels to avoid :gay: (cant believe they have THAT smilie!)

jack

·
Registered
130 Posts
IanBMW said:
... I wouldn't buy a Diesel car. Only due to the recent talk about what the future of diesel is.
What is the future of diesel?
Then again, does it depends on the state you live in?!?

The 2006 24 hours of LeMans winner was a "German diesel powered vehicle"
California is implementing a new "Clean Diesel in California" program.

Diesel may not be for everyone but what's so bad about it ? :dunno:

Keep the BMW !
Do you know whats the cost on a fully loaded Turbo-Diesel ... um... VW Passat is?
I know that the upcomming V10 diesel Touregs will be around 80K here in the Bay Area.

-D
'03 540iT SportWag
San Jose, CA

·
Registered
346 Posts
If you are worried about gas mileage, get a 1991 E30 318is. It runs solid and the engine is bullet proof.

Robert

·
Registered
17 Posts
new beetles are Gay
i have a 540 that i love however i own some volkswagens too, but only vintage ones
I have been into VW's since i was 13 (now 30)
still have 2, 59 vert i am restoring
and a 58 ragtop

I would never ever own a new bug. specially getting rid of my 540 for one:thumbdwn:

just fix the BMW !!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.