BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After all, the biggest "problem" with the bimmer diesels is that they top out around 4000RPMs... Just imagine a chipped 330d that could do 5500RPMs (or even 6500)... :) Imagine how fast THAT would be.

·
Registered
800 Posts
That's physically impossible b/c diesel fuel inherently burns more slowly. Since power is a function of torque times revs, the only way to make more powerful diesel engines is to make more torque.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
webguy is right. They reach the peak torque at 1500rpm and stays there till 3000rpm :) (in case of the 3.0 Liter diesel it's 410 Nm)

On the other hand, the 4.0 Liter deserves a mention here too. The Biturbo V8 is also a torque and horsepower monster ([email protected] - [email protected]). Unfortunately this engine came only on the 7 Series.

And now imagine to have this engine in a 3-Series :)

·
Registered
800 Posts
On the other hand, the 4.0 Liter deserves a mention here too. The Biturbo V8 is also a torque and horsepower monster ([email protected] - [email protected]). Unfortunately this engine came only on the 7 Series.

And now imagine to have this engine in a 3-Series :)
Nah... I think this engine would weigh too much for the 3-series anyway. Why not get a 330d and have Nowack tune it to 220HP? ;)

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it's the thought of chipping a 340d that gives us all a reason to change our pants. ;)

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UGH!!!!
I would never give up the third pedal. That would take ALL the fun out of it.

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Might be interesting to try...
I don't think the time it takes to shift will really slow the car down that much, though.

That said, Alpina's D10 Biturbo IS faster to 60 with an automatic. Powerful diesels are probably particularly good for automatics thanks to their torque curves.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nick325xiT said:
Might be interesting to try...
I don't think the time it takes to shift will really slow the car down that much, though.

That said, Alpina's D10 Biturbo IS faster to 60 with an automatic. Powerful diesels are probably particularly good for automatics thanks to their torque curves.
I was thinking that with such a low drop off in the torque curve, you finally let the clutch all the way out just about the same time to shift to 2nd. A longer first gear might be more fun.

I don't know... I am a not a mech. eng!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Adrian 330Ci'01 said:
How about diesel mated to a CVT? :yikes:
This way, the maximum torque is always put to the wheels. That could compensate for the relatively low redline.
Nothing can really compensate for the engine's inability to rev. So with a CVT, the transmission tries to keep the engine spinning at a speed where maximum torque is produced. As the vehicle accelerates, the tranny continuously moves to a taller ratio. The tall gear ratio effectively reduce the torque transmitted to the wheels.

If anyone can't see why HP is still the ultimate measure of an engine's output, go check out the link. It sure helped me understand...

http://www.vettenet.org/torquehp.html

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HP is simply work over time, that's clear. I'm just fantasizing about a diesel engine that is able to do the same work in less time. Besides, the BMW diesel sixes make an incredible sound at high revs. The 2.5 was rather pathetically underpowered in the Land Rover Doscovery, though. :p 0-60 in something like 17 seconds. We weren't EVER able to pass. The diesel scream was quite something, though. :)

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
TURBO DIESEL POWER.

Jspeed said:
That's physically impossible b/c diesel fuel inherently burns more slowly. Since power is a function of torque times revs, the only way to make more powerful diesel engines is to make more torque.
I believe that part of BMW's answer to this is to turbo charge both their 4 and 6 cylinder engines, and at least in the case of my 4 cylinder diesel, I have 4 valves per cylinder. Not sure about the 6.

Nate's interest in a diesel that responds like a gasoline engine would probably be forgotten if he drove a 330d! No turbo lag and gobs of power.

As soon as I get my 320d chipped and make the jump from 136 hp to 178 hp, I will post a review.

The other side of the equation that no one mentioned is fuel economy - something that we are seriously concerned about here in Europe due to the high cost of both diesel and gasoline. BMW diesel engines are extremely frugal.

I drove myself to a business meeting last week (700 km) and my OBC informed me after the trip that the car consumed 4.2 liters of fuel per 100 km at an average speed of 93km/h. Not bad.

Oh yeah, that would be 1.1 gallons of fuel for every 62 miles, so approximately 55 mpg (remember, I hate math).

Lastly, I have driven my 320d about 10,000 km since December and I love it. I have not felt at all that the car is too heavy for the smaller engine. Since I drive most of the time on the highway (100-140km/h), I have found that I have plenty of passing power when needed and then when I switch on the cruise control, I can comfortably cruise along at 2100 rpm in 5th gear.

If my "ship ever comes in", I will have a tough time deciding between a 540d Touring or a M5!

Diesel on ...

Patrick

·
Mostly Reading
148 Posts
Now if they sped-up development of the camless engine, they may be able to increase the engine speed.

·
Mostly Reading
148 Posts
Jspeed said:

I think you missed my post saying that it's the chemical property of diesel fuel that it cannot combust as quickly as gasoline. It is not a mechanical issue.
Yes I agree, but there are many things that can be done to improve combustion with fuel injectors and timing, multiple shots, etc. The camless engine will help with that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Besides, the BMW diesel sixes make an incredible sound at high revs. The 2.5 was rather pathetically underpowered in the Land Rover Doscovery, though. :p 0-60 in something like 17 seconds. We weren't EVER able to pass. The diesel scream was quite something, though. :)
Well, I drive a 6-cylinder (4 valves per cylinder) 325tds and all I can say that this car isn't underpowered at all. Ok, it does 0-60 in about 10s, but overtaking somebody goes very fast if you keep the revs quite high. Currently it only has 143hp, but I'm planning to get it tuned to a acceptable 173hp. Everybody keeps telling me I'm crazy because they allready call my car fast enough. Don't know myself, maybe I got used to it allready. :lmao:

This weekend me and a friend of mine parked my car under a bridge, put the car in neutral and hit the accelerator. The engine makes a incredible sound at high revs. When the needle goes past 2000rpm, the turbo comes out to play and goes on whisteling till 5000rpms. It almost sounds like a race-car. ;)

Greets

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
Polle325 said:
This weekend me and a friend of mine parked my car under a bridge, put the car in neutral and hit the accelerator. The engine makes a incredible sound at high revs. When the needle goes past 2000rpm, the turbo comes out to play and goes on whisteling till 5000rpms. It almost sounds like a race-car. ;)
Yep. I do enjoy listening to the sound of the turbo whine! Very cool. :thumb:

Patrick

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.