BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

This is my first post here, and I was hoping to get a bit of advice. I'm thinking about looking at a high mileage (over 130k miles) 2007 328i wagon.

Coming from VW, I can do some of my own wrenching, but not anything like head gasket replacement.

For the experts on here, what do you think? Is there anything in particular I should look for? Should I just run away?

I did do some searches, but I didn't find a most common problems thread in this model forum. Thanks for your attention!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
If well cared for that is not particularly high miles for a 10 year old car - 13k a year. If it is in good shape it might be a good buy, but you haven't told us how much it's going for. Wagons are nearly a cult vehicle amongst this crowd. And it has a well proven I6 for which BMW is famous.

Get a PPI fi you are serious. Look for oil leaks. Have you seen it up close and personal yet?

Problems: front control arm bushings, valve cover gaskets, vanos need rebuilding, DISA valve butterfly pin (?)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Thank you veery, that's exactly what I was hoping for. I haven't seen it in person yet, but it's one of a couple options we're considering after we drop our tdi wagon.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
My '07 MT wagon purchased in 2010 with about 30k miles now has almost 76,000 and has been a great (and practical) car.

Regarding Cal's list, if the car has "Active Steering" the steering feel will not be stiff, it will be so annoyingly light as to remind one of the 1950's GM power steering cars.

Majors repairs to mine over 6 years (all done by my dealer):

2010: Intermittently bad IBS unit - dealer replaced the alternator twice before discovering the true nature of the problem. Covered under warranty, but if not, I'm sure it would have been well north of $2,000.

2014: Bad sunroof gasket (check the wind noise above 40 mph with the interior cover both closed and open) - $490

2014: DSC Control Module (disables Traction, ABS, Cruise Control) - $1,900 , luckily with a $1,200 dealer "goodwill" credit.

2015: Replace one spark plug and coil (check that all plugs were serviced at 100k) - $400

2015: Replace leaking valve cover gasket - $1000.

The rest was simple maintenance - a battery in 2012, and brakes and tires at about 65,000 miles.

Hope your car checks out.

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts