BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Thinking about adding 22" wheels, will it fit?

13888 Views 19 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  IzzyX5
I am thinking about adding 22" Giovanna Lido wheels to my X5 and I was wondering if they would fit on the car. The tires are either 305/40R22 or 305/45R22. Would it fit?

Thanks,

Mike
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Maybe but it will not fit the BMW look. 22" will look like wagon wheels
ipacmm said:
I am thinking about adding 22" Giovanna Lido wheels to my X5 and I was wondering if they would fit on the car. The tires are either 305/40R22 or 305/45R22. Would it fit?

Thanks,

Mike
Those tires look to be too wide for 22". Need more wheel info ie width
ipacmm said:

Thanks,

Mike
That profile is way too tall for an X5 application. Your X will look like a monster truck and probably handle like one also.

If the wheel is indeed the one that LeMans posted, then its a 9 1/2" wheel. Therefore, nothing wider or taller than a 285/35 application will be necessary. Good luck!
I agree those Giovanna rims won't fit the X5 since you'd need at least 22X10 or 10.5. Gotta go with companies such as ACS, Hamann, Hartge, Antera, HRE, Breyton...etc that make BMW/X5 specific wheels, especially in the 20" and 22" varieties.
TommyX said:
That profile is way too tall for an X5 application. Your X will look like a monster truck and probably handle like one also.

If the wheel is indeed the one that LeMans posted, then its a 9 1/2" wheel. Therefore, nothing wider or taller than a 285/35 application will be necessary. Good luck!
Please stay away form the Giovanna and other truck wheels out there... Stay away from Chrome too!

If your gonna do 22" I would go with the new Hamann Anniversary wheels they look pretty nice. Id rather have a 21" wheel just to be able to keep the width up there... You can run a 21x11 with a 325 rear tire... Im pretty sure on the 22's you can only run as wide as 285 or something... IMO its a step down

Heres the Hamann wheel

Attachments

Thanks everyone for the feedback on the wheels.
The Only tires that will work with 22's are
265/40/22
285/35/22 Best fit
295/30/22 a little on the thin side
of course on the rears you can go a little wider but not much. A 285/35/22 is a monster tire and you have enough rubber on the ground

As if to get chrome or not, thats your choice, dont let anyone on the board tell you what to do with your X. You bought it and you should make it look however you want to.

You aint dubin till ya rubbin.
Giovanna makes some of the best wheels you can buy.. FAR better quality than hamann.
Please stay away form the Giovanna and other truck wheels out there... Stay away from Chrome too!
I'd be happy to compare strength, weight, and other factors between your cast, one piece wheel and my forged, three piece Hamann wheel, any time.
Krunk Man said:
Giovanna makes some of the best wheels you can buy.. FAR better quality than hamann.
:bustingup
Krunk Man said:
22"s- --- God, I can only imagine the ride. You'll be driving around on a set of rubberbands ;-)

I don't know how well the roads are around you but I can offer this advice from experiance - consider getting a forged 3 piece that is *rebuildable*. NYC roads are crap and it only cost me $250ish to get the rear halves replaced on my $1500 wheel when it suffered a bent, after getting a flat. I changed to the spare with plenty of air still in the tire...but there's only so much sidewall. Something to consider if you end up needing to shell out $1500 for a once piece if it ever get's screwed up.
Now these are rubberbands...

And the 22"
chefwong said:
22"s- --- God, I can only imagine the ride. You'll be driving around on a set of rubberbands ;-)
The Hamann wins just on looks alone. TKO. :D
TommyX said:
I'd be happy to compare strength, weight, and other factors between your cast, one piece wheel and my forged, three piece Hamann wheel, any time.
Agree with all the posts above and if you were going to get those chrome 22's you can easily afford the Hamann's (which are usually expensive) or AC's. But if chrome is your choice not many BMW specific sites, aside from Breyton, will sell chrome wheels for the X5.

Here are some AC Type II's (22x10.5)

- and those can come with tires for $6700.00 (www.bavauto.com)

- IMO, leave the chrome to the Escalade :thumbup:
I really do like the look of the AC Type II but they just a little too expensive for me, I am trying to keep it around $3000 if I can.
WagnerX5 said:
Agree with all the posts above and if you were going to get those chrome 22's you can easily afford the Hamann's (which are usually expensive) or AC's. But if chrome is your choice not many BMW specific sites, aside from Breyton, will sell chrome wheels for the X5.

Here are some AC Type II's (22x10.5)

- and those can come with tires for $6700.00 (www.bavauto.com)

- IMO, leave the chrome to the Escalade :thumbup:
tires size best are 265/35/22 or 285/35/22
+1 to the new guy. I have 265/35/22 on my X5, and Chicago roads arent too nice on cars with rims either but it isnt all that bad.

The ride with 22s and theres not that much difference then with my OEM wheels. But then again i am only 18 with a fresh back :p lol jk guys. But yea i dont really see a HUGE difference.
tires size best are 265/35/22 or 285/35/22
I agree, I dont like it when people try to swap other people into their type of style. Its ok to have an opinion but at the end of the day your not driving the 22s, ipacmm is... Good luck, pick out a sick set and post pics
As if to get chrome or not, thats your choice, dont let anyone on the board tell you what to do with your X. You bought it and you should make it look however you want to.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.